Brighton (H) 19.30 Tuesday, January 2nd, or 14.30 in the USA (East)

Comments

• I get that it is like flogging a dead horse, but seriously, Johnson was so far offside there, why could the flag not go up straightaway, avoids any possible collision etc etc etc
  • Benrahma is so poor
  • That breakaway and yellow card came from Benrahma giving the ball away.
  • Close call there, not sure Areola knew too much about it, from that range if the header had missed him it was going in. One of those where you praise the keeper for good positioning.
  • Gordon Banks used to say the best keepers never had to move much.
  • We’ve done pretty well so far. Clearly missing quality.
  • Nicely worked free kick just before half time but we just couldn't get a touch in the 6 yard box.
  • Not a bad half, Brighton are a decent outfit and that header apart, they created very little and we were far from useless.

Clearly lacking the invention of Paq, the industry of Coufel and the threat of Kudus so given all of that, I am happy with that performance.

Keep it up and we can certainly get something out of this one which may not stay in the memory, but will be a real result

• Very slow game. I hadn’t realised we had kicked off till the last couple of minutes!
  • MrsGrey said:

I know Kudus has been good for us, but he's a quite recent starter. We managed ok before.

No way. West Ham didn't exist before Kudus
  • Interesting stat, Brighton have scored 12 goals from substitutes in the league so far this season, we've scored one.
  • Interesting stat, Brighton have scored 12 goals from substitutes in the league so far this season, we've scored one.

But how many minutes have our substitutes been on the pitch compared to Brighton's? I mean, Moyes hardly ever seems to sub.
  • edited January 2
    Worry of a handball against Emerson being checked by VAR.

Fortunately not given, phew. Arm was out from the body, but was classed as the supporting arm as he was on the floor.

Decent save by Areola from Welbeck.

But how many minutes have our substitutes been on the pitch compared to Brighton's? I mean, Moyes hardly ever seems to sub.
    Indeed, it just shows how reliant we are on the starting 11.

• We might need a set piece to score here
  • Another one where Areola was kinda lucky that a shot was straight at him, thought Brighton were bound to score.
  • How did Soucek miss?
  • Is it me, or is Johnson having a good game? Defending well, getting forward when we are counterattacking.
  • MrsGrey said:

Is it me, or is Johnson having a good game? Defending well, getting forward when we are counterattacking.

Good game is stretching it imo, he's been OK so far.
  • Does Benrahma think you aren't allowed to cross until you've done a specified amount of fancy footwork?
  • MrsGrey said:

Is it me, or is Johnson having a good game? Defending well, getting forward when we are counterattacking.

Good game is stretching it imo, he's been OK so far.
    Ok. The bar is set low for him 😂
  • MrsGrey said:

It’s just you.

• Ok
    A good game for him
    😬
  • Brighton the only team yet to keep a clean sheet in the PL so far this season, let's hope that continues this evening.
  • I’d take a point now, they seem to be growing
  • I’d take a point now, they seem to be growing

Yeah, how tall is Ferguson?
  • Can we get Benham’s off the pitch please

Also, de Zerbi should be starting his best players - why is he getting his starting line up so wrong?
  • Mubama coming on for Benrahma I think. Fornals to the left, Bowen to the right, and Mubama through the middle I guess.
  • no lack of effort but this second string side is so underwhelming. Some of that is at Moyes feet for never playing them at all even with substitutions so most of them look rusty.