Chelsea (H) Sunday 20th August 4:30pm live on Sky

Comments

• edited August 2023
    Not specifically match related, but definitely Chelsea related:

in the 3 transfer windows since the new owners came in, £900m spent. Million. Yes.

And this window is still open, and manager seems to think there;s more to be spent.

Crazy.

Do they not know there's a cost of living crisis. :o
  • Awesome win. Now we only need another 36 point to be safe.
  • edited August 2023
    The squad is good. People saying we need loads of new players. That starting 11 today was very solid & the bench was ok. Could be better, but ok.

Mavropanos to sign tomorrow & then hopefully another attacking player.
  • edited August 2023
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone

motd2

Hardly ever watch. Only if we win. So 1st time for yonks.
  • MrsGrey don't talk to me about the cost of living my wine has gone up 2 canadian dollers that's over one pound .in the last week .If we keep winning ,might have to stop buying dog food =)
  • That really was something to watch that second half. In the first it was a crime to say we were second best as we were really not in the match and looked three divisions below them. But in the second we came alive and defended for our lives at times and managed get two goals to their none, despite 20 minutes of 10 vs 11.

The confidence that will bring is huge and apart from the most pointless second yellow for Aguerd it was such a good afternoon for our first home match of the season. they still seem a very together squad as well.
  • Areola 8
    Coufal 6
    Zouma 7
    Aguerd 6
    Emerson 8
    Soucek 6
    Ward-Prowse 8
    Paqueta 8
    Bowen 6
    Antonio 7
    Benrahma 5

I did feel Coufal & Benrahma were the weakest two players.
  • @MrsGrey, Yes it’s a sign of a poor manager. There are many examples of players choosing not to sign for us due to our manager. No I don’t have any links. 👍

I’m feeling a bit pedantic, but if you don’t have any links, then there are no examples, only rumours or possibilities.
  • edited August 2023

@MrsGrey, Yes it’s a sign of a poor manager. There are many examples of players choosing not to sign for us due to our manager. No I don’t have any links. 👍

If you have any (preferably many, which you claim there are) examples, I'd be interested to see to them. I admit to not keeping up to speed always. So I could well have missed out on stuff that had been going on.

But if you can't give examples, then you are surely just making stuff up. I'm not really bothered about links, as such. Just that if you say there are actual players who haven't signed cos of Moyes, then you have to be able to give evidence of that? Even if there are just rumours about particular players?
  • Just got back from holidays this evening (if you like hiking in the mountains, you’ll LOVE Slovakia -Ryanair flies Stanstead to Poprad), and I’ve just finished watching the match. My tuppenceworth:
    -JWP fits in really well
    -Alvarez had a great ten minutes. He got in a few tackles, and made Chelsea take him into account. I think he will make a lot of people forget about Rice very quickly.
    -Areola made a statement as first choice keeper.
    -If West Ham get a proper striker in, they could be a serious contender for top six/four.
  • steve said:

MrsGrey don't talk to me about the cost of living my wine has gone up 2 canadian dollers that's over one pound .in the last week .If we keep winning ,might have to stop buying dog food =)

Is that with your bulk buy discount? 😂
  • I too thought we were extremely poor first half but watching MOTD2 last night and listening to the pundits, they seemed to think we were perfectly executing the game plan, forcing Chelsea wide all the time and frustrating them. I kind of started to agree with them and thought the only problem was Sterling having a free run for that half.
    It seemed to work though because when we started to put our game together in the second half Chelsea still tried the same things that hadn’t really worked in the first half.
    If I was Brighton I’d be on the phone to Chelsea and tell them straight we have no returns policy. Once goods are used they’re your responsibility.
  • edited August 2023
    I got hijacked by two Chelsea fans in the pub Saturday night. One of them is a nice bloke, the other was hammered, loud and started going on about how much he hated West Ham and how he can’t wait until they put a shed full of goals past us. All I said was that they ought to judging by the amount of money they’ve spent.
    Popped into the pub for a quick one last night. Guess what. Not a Chelsea fan in sight. >:)
  • Just seen Ogbonna's stats from yesterday. 21 minutes played, 2 clearances, 0 passes attempted, 0 tackles, 0 fouls, 0 blocks, 0 interceptions, 0 dribbled past, 2 touches. His average position was deeper than Areola's.
  • alderz said:

Just seen Ogbonna's stats from yesterday. 21 minutes played, 2 clearances, 0 passes attempted, 0 tackles, 0 fouls, 0 blocks, 0 interceptions, 0 dribbled past, 2 touches. His average position was deeper than Areola's.

That's a testament to how well we defended during that time.
  • edited August 2023
  • IronHerb said:

alderz said:

Just seen Ogbonna's stats from yesterday. 21 minutes played, 2 clearances, 0 passes attempted, 0 tackles, 0 fouls, 0 blocks, 0 interceptions, 0 dribbled past, 2 touches. His average position was deeper than Areola's.

That's a testament to how well we defended during that time.
    Yeah for sure. The fact he didn't have to do anything tells you that Chelsea didn't lay a glove.
  • Paqueta certainly wanted that. Despite being a showboater, and a dark arts sort of player, he is class and works his socks off.
    Let's hope we keep him and he is proven to be innocent.

Agree with that except that - sorry to be pedantic - he is innocent until proven guilty.
  • edited August 2023
    Had a couple of Chelsea fans sat behind me in the pub yesterday, extolling Chukwuemeka. Only 18 years old, a fine product of the Chelsea academy and wondering if he'd lived here long enough to the qualify for England

He's 19, they signed him from Villa last summer and he's got 25 England caps at U20, U19, U18 and U17.

I tried not to laugh...
  • I tried not to laugh..

Unsuccessfully, I hope. =)
  • Had a couple of Chelsea fans sat behind me in the pub yesterday, extolling Chukwuemeka. Only 18 years old, a fine product of the Chelsea academy and wondering if he'd lived here long enough to the qualify for England

He's 19, they signed him from Villa last summer and he's got 25 England caps at U20, U19, U18 and U17.

I tried not to laugh...

Every time he was mentioned, I couldn’t help but think Chumbawumba, “ I get knocked down, then I get up again…..”. Perhaps for those of a similar vintage!! 😀

• If James Ward-Prowse is the least West ham name I propose Tommy Taylor as the most!
  • If James Ward-Prowse is the least West ham name I propose Tommy Taylor as the most!

They’re so many, Billy Bonds, David Cross, Phil Parkes,, not sure where Mervyn Day fits into this theme……😉

• Razor Ruddock
  • edited August 2023

They’re so many, Billy Bonds, David Cross, Phil Parkes,, not sure where Mervyn Day fits into this theme……😉

Oddly apart from Mervyn Day all players who weren't from East London and were signed from other clubs

Billy Bonds; Eltham, played for Charlton
    Phil Parkes; Dudley, played for Walsall and QPR
    David Cross, Rochdale, played for Rochdale, Norwich, Coventry and WBA

Tommy Taylor, Hornchurch (Essex/East London) but played for Leyton Orient before he joined us

Mervyn Day, Chelmsford, went to the same primary school as Geoff Hurst and was a West Ham youth
  • edited August 2023
    Lot of talk about Chelsea & the potential they possess and their new ‘philosophy’ being embedded under Poch.

I thought they were decent against Liverpool & first half against us they should have been 2-1 up, but I thought they were really poor second half. The new signings, to me, seem quite average by Chelsea standards & the rest of the side are very young players. Not to mention the likes of Enzo, James, Sterling, Gallagher, Silva, Chilwell were all part of the average season last year. I didn’t rate Disasi. Sanchez was the back-up Brighton keeper. Chukwuemeka looks talented but is young. I am not sure about Jackson. Seems to do a lot of good things during a game but not sure he’s going to regularly score goals.

Their subs bench is pretty poor (from Sunday). I think Caceido will be a good signing but Cucurella should have been too, as should Potter. The rest are either youngsters or signings yet to spark.
  • I think if they keep the side together for a couple of years under one manager then they could develop into something special. The problem for them is that it’s Chelsea and they will 100% get itchy and sack the manager during a rebuild. If they have the patience with Pochetino that Arsenal had with Arteta then they could be amazing in a couple of seasons.
  • Yeah, I agree. It’s a team for 3 years time but not sure it’s going to pull up any trees this year.