Chelsea (H) Sunday 20th August 4:30pm live on Sky

Comments

• Slacker said:

Chelsea are fast becoming my go to most disliked club. I think it’s the amount of money they’ve spent ‘specially since the Americans took over.
    I really, really want it to all blow up In their face, starting this Sunday.
    Dunno if it’ll happen but it would make my day for sure.

Welcome aboard slacker, I have been on that particular train for decades 😀

• When Chelsea are mentioned I think I wish we had the funds to buy the players they do. They certainly aren't at the top of my list for wishing them any major misfortune.
  • edited August 2023
    In the sea with ‘em.
  • I think they pulled off an unlikely trick in gaining a sugar daddy in Abromavich but because of Lampard and Terry they managed retain a sense of not being as bad and still rooted in London. Now they just seem like City or Newcastle.
  • I’ve always hated them. Blame them for all of this.
  • I thought Abromavich was the start of stupid transfer fees. Vaguely remember £24m for Drogba which was astonishing.
  • IronHerb said:

I thought Abromavich was the start of stupid transfer fees. Vaguely remember £24m for Drogba which was astonishing.

He’d cost about five times that now. The speed of the increase in fees has been mad.
  • I agree alderz but the £24m was about double the top rate at that time wasn’t it?
  • IronHerb said:

I agree alderz but the £24m was about double the top rate at that time wasn’t it?

Yeah I think it probably was

• Chelsea squad photo on September 2nd.
  • Ooh where’s me whack a mole hammer.
  • From Poch's press conference

"We need to assess them. They have been stressful weeks for Moises and Romeo. We don't need to rush with them. If they are ready tomorrow, they will be involved. If not, we will wait a few days more."

Lavia played in all the Saints pre-season games but hasn't been in action since 29th July while Caicedo got less of a pre-season.

Reece James replaced by Malo Gusto

Maybe Mudryk for Chukwuemeka
  • Which of these headlines are we likely to see on Monday:

"Alvarez sees red on West Ham debut"
    or
    "Ward-Prowse ruled out for four months after injury on West Ham debut"

At least we'll be spared
    "Chelsea gifted three points after Maguire howler"
  • edited August 2023
    “You’ve got to remember Alvarez and JWP haven’t had a full preseason”
    …..quote rather than headline, but……. ⚒
  • JWP has had a near full preseason just not with us.
  • JWP has, I think. He did full preseason and played in Saints first game of the Champo?

Sorry, not sure what you are getting at. Might have missed your point :-(
  • I think ScotHammer is referring to DM's normal process of not playing our new players very quickly after they have joined defending his decision with a quote like the one mentioned above?
  • Fortune, obviously my attempt at humour hasn’t gone down well with the majority!
  • Question is will paqueta be in the right frame of mind to play
  • Tbh, even before the Paqueta situation I've really not been feeling very interested in the game given how underwhelming our transfer activity has been so far, it's really taken the shine off supporting West Ham for me atm. I know this apathy won't last, but the Paqueta thing just feels like being kicked when you're down so I can't muster any enthusiasm for the match at all.
  • steve said:

Question is will paqueta be in the right frame of mind to play

You bet he will

coat please

=)
  • I think ScotHammer is referring to DM's normal process of not playing our new players very quickly after they have joined defending his decision with a quote like the one mentioned above?

Is this even true? Paqueta was played straight away. Scamacca was in pretty quickly and played when fit. As was Kehrer, Soucek, Coufal, Bowen, Zouma, Aguerd…
  • Paqueta surely will not be in the squad.
  • Paqueta surely will not be in the squad.

I reckon he will be.
  • I would be very surprised if he didn't start, that would be a signal that everyone would pick up on that we already think he is guilty.
  • He’ll 100% start.
  • Tbh, even before the Paqueta situation I've really not been feeling very interested in the game given how underwhelming our transfer activity has been so far, it's really taken the shine off supporting West Ham for me atm. I know this apathy won't last, but the Paqueta thing just feels like being kicked when you're down so I can't muster any enthusiasm for the match at all.

That's a shame Buffy, I am really looking forward to the game, hoping to see a midfield of Paqueta, JWP and Alvarez.

• Jorderz, When we sign a player do they normally play straight away? Some teams give them their debut in the next available game? Does DM do that?
  • Jorderz, When we sign a player do they normally play straight away? Some teams give them their debut in the next available game? Does DM do that?

For the players I listed, I’m pretty sure they played almost immediately, either starting or as subs. But I haven’t checked.
  • edited August 2023

Some teams give them their debut in the next available game?

And some teams don't.

I'm not sure what your point is? (Am I missing it?)

Are you arguing that managers should start their new signings in the next game?

And that not to do so is wrong/the sign of a bad manager?