Bournemouth away 3pm Saturday 12th August (not on TV)

edited August 2023 in Match Threads
Aaaaaaaaaand we're back

Bournemouth have had two major departures over the summer, the obvious one being the rather ungrateful ejection of Gary O’Neil as manager despite saving Bournemouth from relegation. The finger of blame for O'Neil's departure is being pointed squarely at ambitious American owner Bill Foley who bought the club last December.

O'Neil's replacement is the rather inexperienced Andoni Iraola who started his managerial career in 2018/19 with a less than successful 7 months at AEK Larnaca. Following a season with CD Mirandes in the Spanish Segunda he joined Rayo Vallecano, won promotion to La Liga in his first season and has managed two mid table finishes along with a Copa Del Rey semi final.

At Rayo Vallecano he favoured 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 with possession-based football, playing down the wings in attack, a high line and “intense pressing” in defence. Whether the players he's inherited at Bournemouth will be able to adapt to his tactics is another matter.

Comments

• The other departure is Columbian DM Jefferson Lerma who has joined Palace on a free after five seasons and 184 appearances. Not only was he voted Player of the Season 2022/23 but he remains Bournemouth's record transfer at £26m.

Noticeably Bournemouth have yet to sign a DM/CM to replace Lerma

Another player to leave on a free is last season's first choice LB Marcus Zemura who has joined Udinese but he has been replaced by 19yo Hungarian LB Milos Kirkaz, signed £15.5m from AZ. We saw him in the first leg of the Europa Conference semi.

In addition Junior Stanislas has been released
  • edited August 2023
    Another notable addition to the Bournemouth squad is 24yo LW Justin (son of Patrick) Kluivert, signed from Roma for £9.5m. He joined Roma from Ajax in 2018 for £16m aged 19 but has spent the last three season on loan at RB Leipzg. Nice and Valencia.

Maybe not as good as his dad,,,

Bournemouth have also signed 23yo Ivory Coast AM Hamed Traore for £20m. He joined on loan from Sassuolo in January but only made seven appearance due to injuries

They have also signed Romanian GK Ionut Radu on loan from Inter but as Neto is club captain and they also have Darren Randolph on their books its unlikely he'll get much playing time

Finally they signed RM Romain Faivre for £12.8m from Lyon but he's gone straight out on a season long loan to Loreint where's he's been on loan since January.

Bill Foley bought a stake in Loreint in January so effectively he has bought a player for one team he owns with money from the other team he owns. Which sounds a bit dodgy

Bournemouth played their last friendly today against Lorient today, they won 2-0 and Faivre was in the starting XI
  • ASLEF good job .lots of info ,love it....win ,But I have had a few =)
  • I hope ASLEF does the match threads all season.
  • edited August 2023
    Fabianski (c)
    Coufal - Zouma - Aguerd - Emerson
    Bowen - Paqueta - Soucek - Fornals
    Benrahma
    Mubama

Areola, Ogbonna, Kehrer, Johnson, Coventry, Downes, Cornet, Antonio, Ings

Is how I would go, but wouldn’t surprise me if Moyes throws Antonio straight in to start.
  • I'm not as excited as I should be for this. Everything West Ham feels like a bit of a downer at the moment.
  • I’d still go 4-4-2 if it were me. We’ve done it in pre season, and it looked good for us. The middle of our midfield is pretty weak whether we have two or three in there, but with two up top we at least look more of a threat.

Fabianski
    Kehrer - Zouma - Aguerd - Emerson
    Bowen - Soucek - Paqueta - Fornals
    Ings - Mubama

That side, to me, is pretty balanced. You’ve got one attacking full back or winger on each side, and one more defensively solid. It can easily switch to a 3-4-3 in possession if you want it to. And you’re putting Ings - who is easily the best finisher among our forwards - in a front two which is where he’s best.
  • I’d quite like to see Benrahma play as a 10 again. I feel some of our best football has come with him as a 10 behind Antonio. Wish we could see a bit of that again. I feel he’s too inconsistent on the wing.
  • steve said:

ASLEF good job .lots of info ,love it....win ,But I have had a few =)

I started writing it about a week ago
    alderz said:

I hope ASLEF does the match threads all season.

I'll be lucky if I'm still writing them by the end of the month!

If Bournemouth are playing a high line than we'll probably play on the counter and exploit the space behind.
  • I dont think it will be 4-0 like last season, if we go 4 4 2 we might edge it 2-1, but a 3-5-1-1 would be negative
  • Think this will be a reality check. This Bournemouth squad are a lot better than previously people gave credit for. They very much have the Brentford and Brighton touch about them now. I actually put them as dark horses to finish mid table around 10th this season. They played some great football in the back half of last season.
  • Think this will be a reality check. This Bournemouth squad are a lot better than previously people gave credit for. They very much have the Brentford and Brighton touch about them now. I actually put them as dark horses to finish mid table around 10th this season. They played some great football in the back half of last season.

Then sacked the manager.
  • IronHerb said:

Think this will be a reality check. This Bournemouth squad are a lot better than previously people gave credit for. They very much have the Brentford and Brighton touch about them now. I actually put them as dark horses to finish mid table around 10th this season. They played some great football in the back half of last season.

Then sacked the manager.
    Indeed and that was with Jefferson Lerma in the squad. They might be a very different side under new management and without a replacement for their player of the season

We've won our last three meetings by a combined score of 10-0, the last time they scored against us was a 2-2 draw with goals from Callum Wilson and Josh King
  • Bowen hopefully will be on fire
  • Followed by Moyes out
  • and Potter in
  • What difference would Potter make if Sullivan is pulling the strings?
  • @IronHerb, Potter would coach the players, Tim Steidten would sign them for him, that would make a big difference IMHO.
  • edited August 2023
    But would Sullivan buy them?

#notknockingpotter
  • IronHerb said:

But would Sullivan buy them?

#notknockingpotter

Sullivan might be reluctant to back Moyes as he doesn't think he'll renew his contract next summer, the purse strings might loosen with a new manager.
  • So if Moyes doesn't resign or Sully doesn't sack him then nothing changes, except we don't buy any players.
  • edited August 2023
    IronHerb said:

So if Moyes doesn't resign or Sully doesn't sack him then nothing changes, except we don't buy any players.

Well, that's consistent with what's happened so far, isn't it? I suspect we will see some players come in now, even Sullivan must see we're likely to be in danger of going down without reinforcements, but you can't help feeling that Sullivan is reluctant to back Moyes; hardly surprising given how overpriced most of his targets have been though.

In all honesty, given how things have panned out so far you'd think Sullivan shoulda just sacked Moyes in June and paid him off; it's just not possible to lose the players we have this summer and not have enough faith in your manager to let him replace them.
  • AFC Bournemouth (First Team) v West Ham United (First Team)
    Premier League
    Referee: Bankes, Peter
    Assistant Referee: Robathan, Daniel
    Assistant Referee: Greenhalgh, Nick
    Fourth Official: Ward, Gavin
    Video Assistant Referee: Salisbury, Michael
    Additional Video Assistant Referee: Davies, Neil
  • edited August 2023
    He won’t start I doubt, but could we get this 11 out:

Fabianski
    Paqueta - Alvarez - Fornals
    Bowen - Antonio - Benrahma

Areola, Kehrer, Ogbonna, Johnson, Downes, Soucek, Cornet, Ings, Mubama
  • edited August 2023
    Lukerz said:

He won’t start I doubt, but could we get this 11 out:

Fabianski
    Paqueta - Alvarez - Fornals

Areola, Kehrer, Ogbonna, Johnson, Downes, Soucek, Cornet, Ings, Mubama

If Alvarez joins today or tomorrow he'll only have 2-3 days of training with the first team before the match

Moyes "deep ended" Soucek 3 days after he joined from Slavia Prague but otherwise he prefers to introduce new players with a few appearance off the bench before bringing them into the starting line up

Fabianski or Areola
    Soucek - Downes - Paqueta
  • I don’t think time to acclimatise matters, Lingard took 24 hours.
  • edited August 2023
    Not quite

Lingard joined Friday 29th January
    Watched from the stands Liverpool (h) Sunday 31st January
    Started against Villa (a) Wednesday 3rd February
  • Does Alvarez speak any English?