Bournemouth away 3pm Saturday 12th August (not on TV)

Comments

• Cornet flagged offside already 😂🤣😂.
  • What a waste by Benrahma on the break.
  • Expected, 2 points down on last season if u want to compare, We need reinforcements, Benrahma is not good enough for me......
    Oh well, could have been worse.....
  • Ah well. Can't be too sniffy about an away point.
  • When was the last time we won our opening game?
  • Expected, 2 points down on last season if u want to compare, We need reinforcements, Benrahma is not good enough for me......

Depends how you want to look at it. Last season we had 0 points after three games.

I thought overall there was more good than bad. Most players put in a decent performance, and their goal was pretty fortunate.

The issue was a mentality one around the 60/65 minute mark. We lost all composure on the ball and ended up under increasing pressure.

It always feels like Moyes is really reluctant to make subs when we're winning. Can't help thinking some fresh legs earlier might have helped.

But overall I respect the point.
  • Would’ve settled for a point before k o but always disappointing when you lose a lead.
    Hey ho we’re up and running.
  • Benrahma has needed upgrading for a while but that 11 was decent on paper & we need to build on it
  • edited August 2023

Expected, 2 points down on last season if u want to compare, We need reinforcements, Benrahma is not good enough for me......

Depends how you want to look at it. Last season we had 0 points after three games.

I thought overall there was more good than bad. Most players put in a decent performance, and their goal was pretty fortunate.

The issue was a mentality one around the 60/65 minute mark. We lost all composure on the ball and ended up under increasing pressure.

It always feels like Moyes is really reluctant to make subs when we're winning. Can't help thinking some fresh legs earlier might have helped.

All I was doing was comparing the result from last season , nothing more....
    Aguerd looked vulnerable, Benrahma offered little, but Soucek put in shift, not a disaster, but with our games ahead I predict a very rocky ride for Moyes, IMO.....
  • Funny isn’t it. If we’d conceded first and then equalized I would probably have felt quite happy. Because it’s the other way round I feel angry. Same result, different reaction.

I didn't dispute it. Just said there's an alternative comparison to be made, which is that we started last season so horribly and at least we have a point on the board in the first game.
  • For me that was a decent away from home performance and sharing the points seemed fair,

Paq and Bowen were excellent and Soucek had one of his better games, on the flip side, neither Antonio nor Ings gave me any real hope and Benny has clearly not taken advantage of the close season to improve his final delivery.

I also felt that Areola did nothing wrong per se but imo, his distribution could have been better.

All in all, not the worst performance or result but there is certainly room to improve

I didn't dispute it. Just said there's an alternative comparison to be made, which is that we started last season so horribly and at least we have a point on the board in the first game.
    Fair do’s!
  • Benrahma is IMO wasteful, he’s got the skill but sometimes IMO lacks the footballing brain… Just the way I see it
  • I do feel this game highlights a benefit to being a little further down the line with your squad.
  • Bright start but faded under pressure towards the end. Benny pretty much non existent and should have been subbed for Cornet with 20-25 to go. Kehrer for Fornals baffling. Unfortunate to concede in the manner we did via a deflection but a screamer from Bowen.
  • Don't know why we sit back after we scored ,they were there for the taking at that point ,Still respect the point
  • Benrahma needs to be upgraded we’ve known this for a while.
  • Was relatively pleased with the performance given the circumstances.
  • IronHerb said:

Kehrer for Fornals baffling. Unfortunate to concede in the manner we did via a deflection but a screamer from Bowen.

I think Fornals was knackered and we had no midfield (Coventry doesn't count) cover on the bench; Kehrer has occasionally played DM before (personally I think that could be his best position for us).

• Starting to worry Aguerd just isn’t very good. Can see why we want Maguire.
  • Paqueta will be hard to replace, he's a cut above

Played better than I thought, but extremely frustrating as we had them in the Palm of our hands and then sat back and invited the equaliser

But encouraging given we didn't have Alvarez & JWP (and Maguire) there.....But worried how we'll replace paqueta

Looking incredibly light up top as Bowen is our inky reliable goal outlet atm with Antonio potentially gone and Ings just not looking like he'll fit with is
  • Ings won’t work unless we go 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.
  • IronHerb said:

Kehrer for Fornals baffling. Unfortunate to concede in the manner we did via a deflection but a screamer from Bowen.

I think Fornals was knackered and we had no midfield (Coventry doesn't count) cover on the bench; Kehrer has occasionally played DM before (personally I think that could be his best position for us).

Not questioning Kehrer coming on but Benny was just standing and watching at that stage,
  • steve said:

Don't know why we sit back after we scored ,they were there for the taking at that point ,Still respect the point

I always feel we play our best football when we are behind, but at level or ahead Moyes is always wanting restraint. We have talent but it's not always allowed to express itself throughout a game. I understand game management but do feel we are so often overly cautious, and the better the opposition the more cautious we end up and sacrifice our threat.
  • The idea that Moyes simply shouts ‘sit deep’ after we score is ridiculous.
  • edited August 2023
    I am sure they are prepped before the match Lukerz, but how many times have you seen us only come alive as an attacking threat against bigger teams once we go behind, or take our foot off the pedal when taking a lead? It seems too familiar to not be a tactical instruction.
  • edited August 2023
    I don’t know what the answer is, but I do know it’s not down to Moyes alone. It may be a wider mentality thing within the squad.
  • Maybe it’s the other team forcing it to get an equaliser?
    Just a thought.