Summer Transfer Window 2023

Comments

• The gossip is Harvey Barnes is on our radar.I would love him down at the LS.
  • Scammaca is the situation that is most important to clarify early after Dec's.

We have shown very little attacking threat in too many games this season and never really threatened Fiorentina's goal in the final. Ings is a good squad striker, Antonio can be very effective but not consistently so in my view they need build attack around Scamacca or replace him with a different type of striker.

I really hope we introduce Mouamba in some way, he is young but he has a physical presence beyond his age and we really need give him every chance to make it through.
  • edited June 2023
    West Ham are interested in a deal involving Arsenal's Emile Smith Rowe, 22, if fellow England midfielder Declan Rice, 24, joins the Gunners. (Sun)

Ajax are demanding £45m for their 25-year-old Mexico midfielder Edson Alvarez, who has emerged as another option for West Ham to replace Rice. (Guardian)

Bayern Munich's top midfield transfer target is West Ham's Rice but there have been no recent developments and Arsenal are favourites to sign him. (Sky Sport Germany, in German)
  • Roma are in talks with West Ham about a loan move for Gianluca Scamacca (Sky).
  • @Lukerz, I really hope that doesn't come to anything!
  • Lukerz said:

Roma are in talks with West Ham about a loan move for Gianluca Scamacca (Sky).

Makes complete sense for Roma, they can't sell Abraham with his ACL gone, so they probably can't afford to buy someone yet obviously they need to bring a player in to cover him while he's out injured.

I fail to see what we get out of it though.
  • They can loan him if they want but it will cost them 35 million.
  • Don't want Scamacca going anywhere.
  • TalkSPORT report we want Palinha at Fulham (also reported by other papers, such as Telegraph & Guardian) & that he has a release clause in his Fulham contract.
  • Aston Villa agree deal to sign Tielemans on a free transfer.

Thought a year or two ago he would’ve been a decent signing but he seems to underwhelm a lot of late, except the odd screamer.
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain also on the verge of signing for Villa.
  • Lukerz said:

Aston Villa agree deal to sign Tielemans on a free transfer.

Thought a year or two ago he would’ve been a decent signing but he seems to underwhelm a lot of late, except the odd screamer.

Thought he was CL-bound. Presumably he'd have chosen us over Villa (EL > ECL) had we been interested? Which I thought we might have been given the Rice situation.

Seems like a strange move, TBH.
  • edited June 2023
    Maybe Unai has the pull factor
    I’m not sure how seriously Villa will take the conference league.
    And I definitely think that the champs league will impact Arsenals and Newcastle’s seasons and they won’t perform as well.
  • I'm not bothered about missing out on Tielemans, I think the impression has been that he hasn't been particularly committed playing for Leicester while he's been running down his contract, so no reason to believe that he'd remain committed while playing for us.
  • Lukerz said:

TalkSPORT report we want Palinha at Fulham (also reported by other papers, such as Telegraph & Guardian) & that he has a release clause in his Fulham contract.

• Everton have joined the race for Coventry's Swedish striker Viktor Gyokeres, 25, but face competition from West Ham, Wolves, Fulham, Leeds, Southampton and Sporting Libson. (Abola - in Portuguese
  • As buffy said on June 10 - I fail to see what we get out of it though
  • We get him back the following season and may have a manager that can use strikers 😂
  • The fact they say Roma "will ask" for him on loan, doesn't mean we are open to loaning him out. If we got an offer to get our money back, I can see it happening, but he showed enough to convince me that he can be a success here, and we don't need to eat a big financial loss again.
  • Roma are in the Europa League next season so if we do loan Scamacca there better be a clause blocking him from playing against us
  • I think it will be one of those loans with an obligation to buy if certain criteria is met.
    Very common in Italy for these type of deals.
  • Roma are in the Europa League next season so if we do loan Scamacca there better be a clause blocking him from playing against us

As far as I can remember, the rule banning loan players play against their parent club doesn't exist in UEFA Competitions anymore. I think the precedent was Courtois when he was on loan from Chelsea to Atletico Madrid.
  • Ravel49 said:

I think it will be one of those loans with an obligation to buy if certain criteria is met.
    Very common in Italy for these type of deals.

The problem with those, though, is that we have to sort of bank on the money, but the criteria may not be met, and then we're back at square one. If the FFP rumours are true, we need to sell high, or not at all.
  • Since summer 2020, we have sold 17 players at a loss - the highlights being the £35m we lost on Felipe Anderson, the £25m we lost on Sebastien Haller, and the £17.5m lost on Andriy Yarmolenko.

Overt the same time, we've sold 6 players for a profit, but five of those were academy graduates, so any sale would have meant profit.

The only person we've signed and then sold for profit in recent years is Craig Dawson, who we made £1.3m on.
  • alderz said:

Since summer 2020, we have sold 17 players at a loss - the highlights being the £35m we lost on Felipe Anderson, the £25m we lost on Sebastien Haller, and the £17.5m lost on Andriy Yarmolenko.

Overt the same time, we've sold 6 players for a profit, but five of those were academy graduates, so any sale would have meant profit.

The only person we've signed and then sold for profit in recent years is Craig Dawson, who we made £1.3m on.

We are truly shocking in the transfer market, and those big losses make it so difficult to move the squad onwards; every time we have to replace one of those players, we end up trumping up money on the replacement rather than on improving somewhere else in the squad. This is the main reason we've got such an old squad despite a high net spend in recent years.

Personally I really worry about the age of our squad; if, as seems likely, we extend Fabianski, Ogbonna and Cresswell by a year each and keep Antonio, that's 4 players that need replacing next summer through age before we even start to look at improving any postions we're not as strong as we'd like to be. This is why I'm very wary about signing players in their late 20's during this summer, especially at high prices; it's constantly kicking the can down the road and it's going to catch up with us sooner or later.
  • edited June 2023
    Decided to look at this a bit more.

Since GSB took over the club in January 2010, we have made profit on 18 signings. The only player we have made more than £10m on was Dimitri Payet, and I think most would agree we were short changed in the same. Other than that, we made more than £5m or more on Darren Randolph (the first time, but we then lost £4m the second time), Havard Nordtveit (£8m), Ashley Fletcher (£5.75m), and Diafra Sakha (£5.5m).

Combined, the sale of those 18 players brought in a profit of a smidge under £64m. In the same time, we've signed 220 players at a combined cost of £684m.

Which means, roughly £620m has been spent by the club / owners, without recouping anything, in 13 years. Which is about £47.7m per season.
  • 🤯

Yep that would be why FFP is being banded about then
  • buffy, Of the four you mentioned I wouldn't be looking to keep any of them possibly Ogbonna? Antonio is looking to leave, well he is saying a few things to hasten his departure. I know I keep saying it but there are some very good young players from across the world who we should be looking at like Brighton have done & look at the profit they are making. Rob Newman has spent time in South America so why aren't we seemingly interested in the likes Pablo Maia, Federico Redondo, Andre or Johnny?
  • Johnny, we're sorry, won't you come on home.
This discussion has been closed.