West Ham v Leeds, Sunday 21st May, 1.30pm

Comments

• I am over the moon for Lanzini. Will always love him.
  • edited May 2023
    Slow start, went behind, mullered ‘em.
    90 minutes innit lads?😉
  • Slacker said:

Slow start, went behind, mullered ‘em.
    90 minutes innit lads?😉

Slacker, we all know that, we all can comment as we like within reason.
    I know that the wink at the end means you only having a 'slight dig', but please don't forget we are allowed to post as we see it, it was a slow start, we all know that and we also all know that that game is not over after 10 minutes, we don't always need reminding of it....Come on.....
    COYI
  • Righto.
  • will be interesting to see how we line up against Leicester ? granted the ECL final isnt until 10 days after next weeks game but does he risk Paqueta / Rice etc
  • Well worth the win, after a sluggish first 20.
  • Lukerz said:

Well worth the £3 @ 18/1 correct score, after a sluggish first 20.

Fixed it for yah =)
  • Paqueta and Rice have formed a really good relationship on the pitch over the last few months.

I really want that to grow next season. Just one more season Dec. One more.
  • Paqueta and Rice have formed a really good relationship on the pitch over the last few months.

I really want that to grow next season. Just one more season Dec. One more.

Probably have a better chance of one more year if we lift the conference trophy
  • I know we all want Rice to stay one more year but do the powers that be? If he stays another year how much can we get for him? The management might just want to take the $90m now and move on
  • Thought Paqueta, Rice and Fornals were excellent today.
  • Thought Paqueta, Rice and Fornals were excellent today.

Best game from Pablo for a long time imo. Given there's only a year left on his contract, I've been very worried that the club was going to sell him this summer rather than let him walk for nothing in a year's time; could today's performance, together with his iconic goal on Thursday and his scorpion kick a couple of weeks ago be enough to earn him good enough terms to sign a new contract?
  • I was pleasantly surprised by the performance today. I expected Leeds to win because of their need, us being safe & Thursday’s exploits. Thought we played really well from 20-90 minutes & thoroughly deserved it.
  • I thought Leeds win get a positive result today as I expected we wouldn't put out such a strong team but that is David Moyes for a couple of reasons - He always seems to do that and he wanted to help Everton.
  • No, he wanted to beat Leeds.
  • I hope Fornals stays. He is a great team player. His pass to Bowen leading to our first was class.
  • Emerson showed today he can get back and defend, and he got forward well too. Shame it's the exception rather than the rule with his defending; could a full pre-season help?
  • Rice gave nothing away, no obvious farewell waves.
  • Rice stays if someone doesnt stump up a lot of money. My hope is that its sorted out one way or the other quickly so we can get on with planning the squad for next season. Use the money or build in certain places without the Rice money. Our best chance is that nobody wants to stump up 100M and we have him for another season
  • I still say keep him & let him go on a free in a year, choosing not to activate the extra year as a mark of respect.
  • edited May 2023
    MIAHammer said:

I know we all want Rice to stay one more year but do the powers that be? If he stays another year how much can we get for him? The management might just want to take the $90m now and move on

MIA, not wishing to be picky, but we're still using £ over here. ;)
  • I have had to be out all day so missed the match and will have to catch on MOTD, it sounds like a good performance.

Leeds look down now and I think Leicester will have too big a mountain to climb unless they can take three points from Newcastle, not the easiest thing to do.
  • Lukerz said:

I still say keep him & let him go on a free in a year, choosing not to activate the extra year as a mark of respect.

That’s absolutely crazy to me. If you want to let him go on a free you keep him for two years. If you want to let him leave before two years you extend the contract and see him for a fraction of the price next summer.
  • IronHerb said:

No, he wanted to beat Leeds.

I can’t prove he picked a strong team just to help Everton out but there was no reason to risk injuries when the ECL final should now be our only priority.👍

• edited May 2023
    Just watched the game again on MOTD, and realised we scored all three goals from open play. Don't know if I'm correct, but it seems like ages since we've done this.
    Alderz?
  • Just watched the game again on MOTD, and realised we scored all three goals from open play. Don't know if I'm correct, but it seems like ages since we've done this.
    Alderz?

If I get time I’ll look tomorrow
  • Something I noticed was how Fornals seemed to have a free role. It was almost like Bowen & Ings in a front two with Fornals and Paqueta roaming behind them
  • The Hollywood script continues... Pablo Fornals is reborn and has a dog named after him! Rice and Lanzini score in their last home game!! VAR give TWO decisions in West Ham's favour!!!
    They're working on the June 7th episode now...🤞
  • Just watched the game again on MOTD, and realised we scored all three goals from open play. Don't know if I'm correct, but it seems like ages since we've done this.
    Alderz?

Turns out there isn't a super easy way to find this information. I've used FBRef to help find games where we scored 3 or more goals, and where we had fewer than a low enough amount of goal creating actions that weren't dead balls. That whittled me down to 5 league games, but it turns out that method wasn't accounting for penalties, or where there were multiple phases from a set piece.

So, I've just watched highlights for the games that we scored 3 or more non-penalty goals while I ate my lunch.

And it turns out that we've done this one other time this season in the league, against Nottingham Forest on 25th February. We had two poachers finishes from Danny Ings, a screamer from Declan Rice, and a back post header from Michail Antonio. None of which were from set pieces.

https://fbref.com/en/squads/7c21e445/2022-2023/matchlogs/all_comps/gca/West-Ham-United-Match-Logs-All-Competitions