West Ham v Leeds, Sunday 21st May, 1.30pm

Comments

• Soucek isn’t there to be a baller. He’s in the top 5 players for winning aerial duels in both boxes and that’s where his strengths lie.

And he’s very good at both. The problem is the things he’s not good at affect the rest of the team massively.
  • alderz said:

I’d love to see Fornals tried out in the middle, personally. A holding midfielder as a single pivot with Paqueta and Fornals in front would be exciting.

Surprised Moyes has never tried it. We have arguably the best DM in the league that could play the single pivot well.
  • Is there any reason to keep Ings on, can't see what he brings.
  • Soucek isn’t there to be a baller. He’s in the top 5 players for winning aerial duels in both boxes and that’s where his strengths lie.

Didn't say he was. But if we want to become a more possession-based side, you need players capable of retaining and using the ball well. Soucek can't do that, IMO.
  • edited May 2023

Is there any reason to keep Ings on, can't see what he brings.

In a game that means little to us, I'm surprised Mubama hasn't been given a run. He could, potentially, mean we don't need to spend big on a striker in the summer if he's capable of stepping up. Today, and indeed Leicester, would be a good opportunity and a good test for him.
  • edited May 2023
    Yeah, Paqueta is a great player but doesn't quite have Rice's defensive talent

Managed to get a steam on the work computer and my train doesn't get to Leytonstone until 3:28 (train 010 to Epping)
  • But he makes and wins more tackles than virtually anybody else.
  • Hasn't been a great 2nd half, not bad....but it is what it is....COYI.
  • Yeah, Paqueta is a great player but doesn't quite have Rice's defensive talent

Managed to get a steam on the work computer and my train doesn't get to Leytonstone until 3:28 (train 010 to Epping)

Paqueta had made 2.99 tackles per 90 this season, Rice has made 2.30. Their defensive stats are actually pretty similar to one another, it’s just the position they do their work in is different. And Rice is better at intercepting.
  • But he makes and wins more tackles than virtually anybody else.

He does, but arguably there are players out there that can offer that level of defensive ability, but are also better on the ball.
  • Bowen gives us the lead. Another lovely move.

VAR will probably give it offside.
  • edited May 2023
    Nice touch from Ings

He does, but arguably there are players out there that can offer that level of defensive ability, but are also better on the ball.

There are but can we afford them?
  • edited May 2023
    Always liked VAR. We lead.
  • That’s another quality goal
  • Leeds look to be a bit deflated now. A third should be on the cards here.
  • Fornals has been great today. Playing like it’s 2021.
  • Ings should have finished the game. Tired effort.
  • Ings could have turned into a hero there.
  • Some very tired legs out there.

Mubama and Johnson coming on.
  • Three now. And it's Lanzini.

Feels right, too.
  • edited May 2023
    Paqueta and Little gem...Love it....Offside....No!!! GOAL........
  • Manu!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • Terrific from Paqueta. Really, really good.
  • #twinkletoes
  • VAR gives it to us again
  • Boom Boom Boom Well done Lanzini
  • Those lines were very odd. Based on the lines he looked offside to me 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Paqueta trying to set up Rice there.
  • Paqueta trying to set up Rice there.

Did Rice want a personal send off? Busted a gut in the 97th minute to get a goal.

I think he knows he's going.
  • edited May 2023
    alderz said:

Those lines were very odd. Based on the lines he looked offside to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

It looks like there is a certain colour for the Leeds player, and a different one for us, and he used the wrong coloured line for each player, I would definitely have had that as offside.

Shame we didn't get the 4th, Paqueta trying to set Dec up.