Crystal Palace vs West Ham, Sat 29th April, 12.30pm

15678911»

Comments

• IronHerb said:

Cancel culture at work.

Who's been cancelled and what for?

Benrahma. Suddenly 5 goals and 3 assists don't count because they were simple.
    Personally I think 5 goals from general play is a much bigger contribution than 4 penalties and a single goal from open play; I don't think it's unfair to make that distinction. Approximately 4 out of 5 penalties are scored, and they're not even like tap-in goals where you need to be in the right position to make it a tap-in. I'm not denying I feel happier with Benrahma taking penalties than some of the others we've tried with them (notably Rice), but they do skew a player's G&A stats without a doubt.
  • Don't disagree but they still important and need to be scored. Rice's miss could send us down.
  • Lukerz said:

Benrahma 5 league goals (4 pens) & 3 assists (2 simple passes for a Rice screamer).

Bring him on whenever we get a penalty...😉
  • Kuchinghammer, He could be on a special teams bench with Soucek who we could bring on when we have a set piece. 👍
  • I'm still fuming that 2 diabolical refereeing decisions in the space of 3 days could end up being the difference between survival and relegation. >:)
  • Lots of noise around Jota and Skipp but little around Antonio getting kicked in the head in the Palace penalty area.
  • I'm still fuming that 2 diabolical refereeing decisions in the space of 3 days could end up being the difference between survival and relegation. >:)

For me it's more the fact that we'd more or less be safe now and so much more able to rest some players before the ECL semis. I still think we'll stay up, but are now potentially much less likely to win the cup.
  • For me it's more the fact that we'd more or less be safe now and so much more able to rest some players before the ECL semis. I still think we'll stay up, but are now potentially much less likely to win the cup.

I'm not so sure.

Of the three teams left in the ECL I though Fiorentina would be the toughest opposition but they were awful against Lech Poznan. Currently 9th in Serie A

AZ needed penalties to get past Anderlecht who we beat home and away while Basel are currently 5th in the 10-team Swiss Super League

If we field our strongest team I think we've got a good chance of winning this
  • edited May 2023

If we field our strongest team I think we've got a good chance of winning this

That's the issue though, our strongest 11 is what we field for most matches, and we've just played 9 games in April with a further two to come before the 1st leg of the semi-final.

Our strongest 11 is definitely good enough, if they're not absolutely knackered that is. Those 2 extra points would have made it much easier to rest a few of them rather than having to scrap around still trying to pick up a couple of points to ensure PL survival.

• edited May 2023
    We’ve got 3 chances (well 2 really) to get the 2/3 points I feel will get us safe. Man Utd & Brentford. If not, we’ll be playing that semi final knowing we have Leeds & Leicester in what will be huge games.
  • Maybe a case for selective resting even though we are not safe. Maybe we accept the City and United games as zero points and just do best to preserve goal difference with a defensive midfield. We then rely on the Brentford, Leeds and Leicester matches to provide the three points I think we may need, although 2 may be enough should we preserve our goal difference.

The main need of resting is Zouma, Antonio and possibly Rice, because him picking up an injury in a match we lose against City or United would be a tragedy.
  • The main need of resting is Zouma, Antonio and possibly Rice, because him picking up an injury in a match we lose against City or United would be a tragedy.

May well be too late for Zouma anyway, he'll not be fit for City, and guessing he'll be a huge doubt for Man Utd, the first leg of the semi, and probably Brentford as well, if he makes it back before the end of the season at all.

• I don't think we should except the Man U game as a loss
  • It'll happen though. Some how regardless of how both teams play Man U will get the win.