Crystal Palace vs West Ham, Sat 29th April, 12.30pm

Comments

• Glad to confirm that the phantom mop burglar of Olde SE London probably only lived in Ronnie Barkers imagination
  • The puzzling thing for me is why Moyes set us up 4-3-3 against L'Pool yet went 4-2-3-1 against Palace.
  • MrsGrey said:

But at least there's not some flying mop stealing low life terrorising SE London. Phew

Two things can be true 🤔🤔🤔😂🤣😂

• Lukerz said:

So soft but we deserve it

No team deserves to have a bad penalty decision go against them.
  • Benrahma showing that he is simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH....
    We got what we deserved, nothing.
    It's far from over this relegation battle, anyone who thinks so, sorry, you are IMO probably going to be in for a very rude awakening and despair IMO......

So you're in fact saying we're going down?
  • MotD agree that it was a soft penalty and Moyes is justified in being angry

On the plus side at least we aren't Wolves...
  • On the plus side at least we aren't Wolves...

I'd take the 6 goal thrashing if we had an extra 3 points already.

• IronHerb said:

Benrahma showing that he is simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH....
    We got what we deserved, nothing.
    It's far from over this relegation battle, anyone who thinks so, sorry, you are IMO probably going to be in for a very rude awakening and despair IMO......

So you're in fact saying we're going down?
    No, but what I did say is if people think we’re already safe ,IMO , like I said, I think they are wrong, this is IMO going down to the wire…👍🏻
  • edited April 2023
    IronHerb said:

Lukerz said:

IMO there is a big difference between “soft” & “bad” 👍🏻
  • IronHerb said:

Lukerz said:

Twice in two games
  • I guess that having read this thread that I shouldn't bother watching the game, recorded as I was out ...............
  • I guess that having read this thread that I shouldn't bother watching the game, recorded as I was out ...............

It was an entertaining game, but probably more fun if you’re a neutral or a palace fan.
  • edited April 2023
    I am baffled how a team, full of international players, can consistently only manage 35%-40% of the ball in any given game.
  • Lukerz said:

I am baffled how a team, full of international players, can consistently only manage 35%-40% of the ball in any given game.

I was thinking that yesterday, but you’ve got to remember that some international football teams are essentially mid table battlers - like Czech Republic, for example. I don’t really like to pick on any players in particularly, but there are a handful of players who are very uncomfortable with the ball at their feet, which undermines our ability to retain possession. Soucek, Coufal, Antonio, Fabianski, Zouma. All players who are limited in possession, which means it sort of doesn’t matter how good on the ball the others are, because their options become limited and we become predictable in our approach play.

Both our wingers are very direct, as is our striker, which means we don’t have the set up for a patient game if we want to hurt teams.

If we really wanted to be more possession based, I think we would probably need to line up a bit more like this:

Areola; Kehrer Ogbonna Aguerd Cresswell; Downes; Paqueta Rice; Bowen Scamacca Fornals

But even then, the right back and right centre back positions are a problem when it comes to being possession based. If that’s a priority for the club or the manager, we need a new right back, another right sided centre back who can play out, and probably a goalkeeper too.
  • Lukerz said:

The problem is they don't seem to play like a team. Palace yesterday played with cohesion and fluency as an integrated unit, whereas we played as if the players had just met up for a kickabout.
    When they had the ball they moved it around at will with little press from us, whereas when we had the ball they pressed so much that all we could do was lump the ball upfield thereby turning over possession.
    I asked the question earlier - why did Moyes set us up 4-3-3 (aggressive) against Liverpool yet 4-2-3-1 (defensive) against Palace, when you would have thought if anything it would have been the other way round.
  • Contact the scaffolding company and request mop retrieval. It’s too good to go down.

• Back to football after "Mopgate" =)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12029755/Referee-Sascha-Stegemann-admits-feels-like-s-denying-Borussia-Dortmund-penalty.html

It's a shame we can't hear the views of Messrs Kavanagh & Pawson isn't it?
  • Lukerz said:

And rely on leave ng throw ins. Really is tragic.
  • Lukerz said:

I asked the question earlier - why did Moyes set us up 4-3-3 (aggressive) against Liverpool yet 4-2-3-1 (defensive) against Palace, when you would have thought if anything it would have been the other way round.
    I read on the Athletic that we have played a 4-3-3 since the Arsenal game, but reverted to 4-2-3-1, yesterday. I looked at our average positions for the last five games and I’m not sure I see that, tbh.

Against Gent, Bournemouth and Palace, Paqueta played in front of Rice and Soucek, and against Liverpool and Arsenal Rice played behind Soucek and Paqueta. It worked against Bournemouth and Gent, but it didn’t against Palace.
  • Benrahma 5 league goals (4 pens) & 3 assists (2 simple passes for a Rice screamer).
  • Cancel culture at work.
  • As a % of chances?
  • Who's been cancelled and what for?
  • Hamstew said:

Lukerz said:

Do we rely on them? Or are they a last resort in desperate times?
  • Do we need a Rory Delap type of player?
  • We need a Haaland type player =)
  • alderz said:

Hamstew said:

Lukerz said:

Do we rely on them? Or are they a last resort in desperate times?
    Tbh I'm amazed you worked out what I said
  • You using wine as an excuse there Hamstew? Hahaha
  • edited April 2023
    But I do think we are relying on them. From memory it's launched in at every possible opportunity.
  • Cancel culture at work.

Who's been cancelled and what for?

Benrahma. Suddenly 5 goals and 3 assists don't count because they were simple.