Fulham away Saturday 8th April 15.00 BST.

12346»

Comments

• IronHerb said:

alderz said:

Seems to me that logging on just to slate people is basically the same as being a moaning old geezer in the pub

Pots and kettles?
    Lol ok
  • He
    alderz said:

Seems to me that logging on just to slate people is basically the same as being a moaning old geezer in the pub

He may be a moaning old geezer,but he's OUR moaning old geezer 😉 Thinking about it, that applies to all of us on this site...😁

• Was away til today, but didn't know the result. We were owed some good fortune, and that selection was a gamble. Dropping nearly all of the new signings won't be an issue if they all play against Gent, and the Old Boys seem to know how to grind out a result.
    Bowen and Zouma are stepping up now, which is a big bonus. COYI
  • I don’t think they were dropped per se. He said after the Newcastle game that he needs to make some changes going forward as we are in the 3 games per week period. 2 of the signings are injured and one is just coming back after a lengthy lay off.
  • Had we beat Newcastle, he doesn’t make five changes v Fulham
  • edited April 2023
    This was a massive 3 points. When you think of our next 3 home games with tough away games at Bournemouth & Palace. Probably need another 6 points. I think had we lost, I’m not sure where the 9 points would come from & would almost certainly have gone to the last couple of games of the season. Now we have a chance if we can get a win or two in the next five, leaving us Brentford, Leeds & Leicester as hopefully a contingency.
  • When do we ever not lose to Brentford in the EPL?
  • Lukerz said:

This was a massive 3 points. When you think of our next 3 home games with tough away games at Bournemouth & Palace. Probably need another 6 points. I think had we lost, I’m not sure where the 9 points would come from & would almost certainly have gone to the last couple of games of the season. Now we have a chance if we can get a win or two in the next five, leaving us Brentford, Leeds & Leicester as hopefully a contingency.

I'm not sure that 36 points will be enough to avoid relegation. I don't think Forest or Southampton will get to 36 but I think the others may.
  • Do love Garth Crooks -

This was also a massive win for the Hammers, particularly as they have gone 11 league matches without a win. 🤷‍♂️
  • IronHerb said:

Do love Garth Crooks -

This was also a massive win for the Hammers, particularly as they have gone 11 league matches without a win. 🤷‍♂️

I saw that too, I suspect he actually meant 11 away league matches, but he's ex-Spurs so I don't really expect too much from him.
  • There must be a reasonable amount to moan about as we have been skirting around the relegation zone most of the season with a squad packed with internationals.
  • Never been sure why Cresswell gets the hate he does. Very solid, stats in terms of passing forwards are very good, assists are generally good, delivery spot on, experienced, leads, love his passion (how he celebrates each goal, watch the Bowen one). I get he isn’t fast, but he never has been.
  • Defensively average.
  • Lukerz said:

Never been sure why Cresswell gets the hate he does. Very solid, stats in terms of passing forwards are very good, assists are generally good, delivery spot on, experienced, leads, love his passion (how he celebrates each goal, watch the Bowen one). I get he isn’t fast, but he never has been.

I'm not sure it's hate, (certainly not from me), it's that he just isn't good enough any more imo. He's been a good servant to the club, but he's got noticeably slower in the past couple of seasons (or his lack of pace has been more exposed) and his contributions going forwards have really dipped so all in all he's not a name I like to see on a starting teamsheet for a PL match.
  • I kind of like creesie .in fact I posted after Fulham that he had a good game ,and his crosses were okay as well
  • Lukerz said:

Never been sure why Cresswell gets the hate he does. Very solid, stats in terms of passing forwards are very good, assists are generally good, delivery spot on, experienced, leads, love his passion (how he celebrates each goal, watch the Bowen one). I get he isn’t fast, but he never has been.

Yeah I’m with you there. I’ve always thought he wasn’t a decent full back. I don’t buy the lack of pace and poor crossing delivery. I think the criticism started to snowball after the sending off in Europe last year. There are better left backs in the league but not many.

• I like Cresswell, but I think Emerson is better these days, personally.
  • I like Cresswell but I think you can pinpoint more than enough clearcut mistakes or lapses of judgement to question is ability to continue at this level. It wasn’t just Europa, there were league games where he made bad judgements and couldn’t recover. This season in the Brentford game. A lot of other players would’ve been criticised far more for the same things.

I think Cresswell could continue if he can adapt his game but so far I haven’t seen that he’s able to do that yet. He seems to position himself as he would’ve when he was more mobile and then gets caught out. But if he can work on that he definitely has a lot of important qualities.
  • Creswell has been a fantastic player for us.
    He joins our left attack so well
  • Slacker said:

Lukerz said:

Yeah I’m with you there. I’ve always thought he wasn’t a decent full back. I don’t buy the lack of pace and poor crossing delivery. I think the criticism started to snowball after the sending off in Europe last year. There are better left backs in the league but not many.

Edit: “ He WAS a decent full back”

• Think he would be good for us in the championship ,Just saying =)
  • Wasn't aware anyone really hated on Cresswell. He's always been decent but age is definitely catching up on him. Good solid pro.
  • Slacker said:

Slacker said:

Lukerz said:

Edit: “ He WAS a decent full back”

I think your subconscious betrayed you and got it right first time 😂🤣😂.
  • edited April 2023
    The sending offs in Europe were harsh. Still to this day don’t think he did anything wrong. He puts his hands near the player like all players do from corners when they mark. There was no push, pull or grab. Especially the second red.
  • I just don’t see many defensive lapses & he has lots of quality in possession. Emerson has been praised by basically delivering performances Cresswell would deliver, IMO.
  • Lukerz said:

I just don’t see many defensive lapses & he has lots of quality in possession. Emerson has been praised by basically delivering performances Cresswell would deliver, IMO.

Emerson certainly offers something different going forward, he gets into the box and to the by-line in a way Cresswell doesn't.

Cresswell has looked increasingly vulnerable since about Christmas last season imo; he did well to regain form a few seasons back after an indifferent couple of seasons following an injury, but his form hasn't been great for a while now. Maybe he struggled last season with having to play twice a week, maybe it's age catching up with him, maybe it's a bit of both or something else entirely, but defensively his lack of pace is easily exploitable, and he, imo, doesn't offer anywhere near as much going forward as he did a couple of seasons back (maybe because he's increasingly aware that he can't get back and is in danger of being caught out of position).

He's a solid pro and, as I've already said, has been a good servant to the club, but I think he struggles at PL level now.
  • He's not great at defending headers from crosses.
  • I agree he’s been a really good servant of the club but he’s not the player he used to be. I don’t think we hate him but more of a loss in confidence in him.