Fulham away Saturday 8th April 15.00 BST.

Comments

• No matter what we think, & there were some issues with todays performance, Moyes took a gamble by dropping several players & resorting to a formation we haven’t played all season. It was not perfect or pretty, but we got the 3 points & so Moyes can feel validated in his selection.
  • Been out site seeing all day but followed the score whilst at the Empire State building. So pleased with the win although sounds like we still had some issues. Notably by actually getting any possession. Please Fab made an important stop after the last game.
    Maybe just maybe we will fumble our way to safety.
  • What I would say is, there has been a lot of criticism over the performance even though we got 3 points, that did take a lot of guts to come out after a 5-1 home defeat & win away 1-0. Fair play to their mentality.
  • Slacker said:

Ooh, I just wonder how long this thread would’ve been had we lost……..

It's called human nature. Negativity Bias could go a long way to explaining why there's more noise when we lose:

"The negativity bias is a cognitive bias that results in adverse events having a more significant impact on our psychological state than positive events. Negativity bias occurs even when adverse events and positive events are of the same magnitude, meaning we feel negative events more intensely... < and it > causes our emotional response to negative events to feel amplified compared to similar positive events. Negativity bias is linked to loss aversion, a cognitive bias that describes why the pain of losing is psychologically twice as powerful as the pleasure of gaining"

Or to put it another way, the British love to moan.
  • alderz said:

We get it. You’re the most positive person, you win the award.

He he, not really just a normal (ish) bloke with the same ups and downs as most, it’s just that on here that seems to come over as a shining light of positivity.🤷🏻‍♂️
  • edited April 2023
    I think the banner yesterday & chanting was excessive. I think there is a time & a place for that & 1-0 up away from home, against a side 12 points ahead of us, is not it. I also don’t think ‘Moyes Out’ is a good look, given what we achieved last season & the year before, not to mention the two relegation survivals. This year had been pretty bad, but it can still be salvaged with a positive last 9 games & the Europa Conference. I’m sure Moyes will be the first to admit this season hasn’t been good enough, squad turnover or not.
  • Slacker said:

alderz said:

He he, not really just a normal (ish) bloke with the same ups and downs as most, it’s just that on here that seems to come over as a shining light of positivity.🤷🏻‍♂️
    Funnily enough, I would actually say that 90% of your posts are digging at other people and not actually being positive at all. Just being negative towards other people instead of towards the absolutely dire football we play.
  • edited April 2023
    Lukerz said:

I think the banner yesterday & chanting was excessive. I think there is a time & a place for that & 1-0 up away from home, against a side 12 points ahead of us, is not it. I also don’t think ‘Moyes Out’ is a good look, given what we achieved last season & the year before, not to mention the two relegation survivals. This year had been pretty bad, but it can still be salvaged with a positive last 9 games & the Europa Conference. I’m sure Moyes will be the first to admit this season hasn’t been good enough, squad turnover or not.

I understand what you are saying and don't disagree with lots....However using some of your method of thought.....Should we then not give Soucek some slack, I mean his first season and a half were pretty fantastic, but now, you included just carry on about him being in the team is a joke etc etc ( I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be playing ) but isn't it sort of similar to what you are saying about Moyes? Give him the respect because of a decent period not so long ago?....Just saying.....
  • The only chants against Moyes was when the subs were made. Must admit being in Row Z I didn’t get to see any banners. Last season was last season, and doesn’t Moyes go on about it? There was nothing detrimental towards the team yesterday, in fact it was the best support I’ve seen this season, and the banner represents 70-80% of the feeling on this forum, so not really out of place.
  • alderz said:

Slacker said:

alderz said:

Funnily enough, I would actually say that 90% of your posts are digging at other people and not actually being positive at all. Just being negative towards other people instead of towards the absolutely dire football we play.
    If you’re negative against negative then that makes you positive
  • Yeah must admit even though I'd like a change and imo he has to go the banner is a bit ott for me.
  • edited April 2023
    So, we managed to grind out a much needed win, although most would agree there was a touch of good fortune in the goal; not only was it an OG that might have gone anywhere, the lino could easily (if incorrectly) have flagged for handball by Coufal.

I'm not sure I've seen us have so little possession against a side and have had so few genuine goal threats against us. Fair play to Fabianski (Areola wouldn't have lost the shirt after his spell starting if it were down to me, and I think Fab had a poor second half against Newcastle as well), he dealt with the only genuine chance they created superbly, just getting a hand to the ball as Pereira tried to go round him, but, that apart, for all their possession Fulham offered little threat without Mitrovic.

I suspect their expected goals (xG) of only 0.68 is the lowest for some time for a team having 77% possession. Given that, outside of the bottom 9 clubs, they have the most matches (5) against the bottom clubs, there could be some bonus points to be picked up by our relegation rivals in the coming matches, although Mitrovic could be back against Soton and Palace if the FA don't succeed in getting his ban increased; Fulham didn't threaten to score like a team in the top half should, and I think they could struggle until Mitrovic is back.

Moyes mixed things up by playing both Ings and Antonio, although it would be hard to call it a 4-4-2 given Ing's average position was further back than everyone except Zouma and Ogbonna. Disappointing for him that he couldn't take the one genuine chance that came his way, failing to lift the ball over the advancing Leno, the ball hitting the keeper's shoulder, when he was slipped in by Bowen (I think).

I felt we had a better shape after the initial substitutions (Downes for Ings, Benrahma for Fornals) and that we offered more offensively, although the stats suggest we didn't have significantly more possession. We did create 2 good opportunities in the later stages though, with Bowen maybe having more time than he realised, time for a touch, when he shot first time from the edge of the box and Cornet missing a glorious chance when one-on-one with Leno that he really should have done better with.

I know many of us feel that Soucek is lucky to have kept his place, and I suspect he might finally have been dropped yesterday given the change in formation had Paqueta been available, but I must say I wasn't overly impressed with Fornals. His form dropped off a good while back, and he admitted part of it was having to deal with a new baby, but, apart from one drive forward that he did well with I didn't think he had a great game. There seemed to be a lot of misplaced passes (although the whole team was guilty of that tbh) although maybe give him the benefit of the doubt a little I guess as he's not played much football recently. Unfortunately he's not the player he promised to be atm after a bright start to his career with us though.

Finally, I'm not sure I see the logic in bringing Cresswell back in, I don't feel as though Emerson has done any worse than the many sub-par performances that finally led to Cresswell losing the shirt, and I'll be disappointed if Cresswell is our starting LB in the remaining PL matches.
  • Just watched MOTD and I have to say we were very lucky that the goal was allowed to stand considering Coufal's handball in the build-up. If we had been on the receiving end we'd have been up in arms.
    I guess it's the VAR gods trying to even things out. =)
  • edited April 2023

Just watched MOTD and I have to say we were very lucky that the goal was allowed to stand considering Coufal's handball in the build-up. If we had been on the receiving end we'd have been up in arms.
    I guess it's the VAR gods trying to even things out. =)

It was the correct decision as it was accidental and not directly leading to a goal (as in it wasn't the player scoring the goal). The lino coulda flagged and we'd have been done for, but certainly nothing for VAR to overturn at all once the flag stayed down imo.
  • Buffy I do agree that Emerson not really doing anything to warrant being droped ,However I think Cressie had a good game yesterday and got in some good crosses
  • alderz said:

Slacker said:

alderz said:

I dunno really. I will always call out a bad performance but what I don’t do is start moaning after five minutes or when player X misplaces a pass.And your right I may well call out that poster because it’s just plain wrong ( IMO of course).
    Sometimes on here it’s like a bunch of old moaning geezers down the pub and if I think they’re wrong I’ll say so.

• Seems to me that logging on just to slate people is basically the same as being a moaning old geezer in the pub
  • alderz said:

Seems to me that logging on just to slate people is basically the same as being a moaning old geezer in the pub

Pots and kettles?
  • edited April 2023
    IronHerb said:

alderz said:

Seems to me that logging on just to slate people is basically the same as being a moaning old geezer in the pub

Pots and kettles?
    At a guess IH, you and Slacker's local ??!!
  • Sorry jay, just my opinion, which is allowed.
  • I thought Ironherb was trying to start a game where we all have to list kitchen items? 😉
  • We're a moany bunch. Moaning about the players, moaning about the team, moaning about the manager, moaning about the moaners and then moaning about the people who are positive about them moaning about the moaners. Have I missed some people out? 😁
  • Have I missed some people out? 😁

Moaning about being called a moaner 🤔🤔🤔?

• IronHerb said:

Sorry jay, just my opinion, which is allowed.

Sorry IH, just my humour, and the last I looked, was also allowed !!

I've mentioned them hahaha

I was just having a moan 😂🤣😂.

I was just having a moan 😂🤣😂.
    Moaner =)
  • We didnt moan as much in the past as season upon season of failure was the norm. In recent times we've had relative success in terms of results and play (sort of). So its probably natural to want that winning, having a positive goal difference and being up in the top part of the league to return. You get given hope, spoiled a bit and it's taken away too quickly...
  • I must admit that I feel in myself that I am slowly turning into Victor Meldew -- for Fabs howler against the barcodes I was certainly guilty of a very strong and heartfelt “I don’t believe it”