VILLA (H) SUN MARCH 12TH 2pm

Comments

• Moyes who led us to two top 7 finishes
  • edited March 2023
    Moyes who brought those international players into the club.
    One of which a striker sitting on the sidelines in his kit seeing a winger go on in front of him 😂
  • Of course the players have to take some responsibility, but it's the manager's job to get the most out of them. That's what he's paid to do and he's evidently failing.

He can't keep living in the past. 6th and 7th will mean nothing if we're in the Championship next season.
  • Luke’s just found out his Moyes’ love child…
    Just bants… nothing personal intended…..⚒️
  • Know what? Reading through this and other match threads I think there are people on here who seem to want us to lose matches just to prove their point.We could, maybe should have won today but it wouldn’t have been enough for some. We all know we’re having a bad season but it’s not over yet and what I saw today was a bunch of players trying hard to win a match against a a decent side.
    Then I come on here and read the comments………..
  • I want my team to won matches but the manager and players seem to want to do anything but win matches. Whether its certain players who can't hit a cows backside with a banjo or the manager maybe not trying two up top just to change our approach to try harder to win matches. I don't want to see my team relegated because I fear we may struggle to get back up quickly.
  • Tbh I think thats pretty out order to suggest that whoever you're aiming that at.
  • edited March 2023
    Slacker said:

Know what? Reading through this and other match threads I think there are people on here who seem to want us to lose matches just to prove their point.We could, maybe should have won today but it wouldn’t have been enough for some. We all know we’re having a bad season but it’s not over yet and what I saw today was a bunch of players trying hard to win a match against a a decent side.
    Then I come on here and read the comments………..

Personally don’t think there’s one person on here who wants us to lose…But Slacker, if that’s what you you believe… that’s your baby
    Slacker… sorry, but that’s no way accurate IMO
  • edited March 2023
    I thought the slightly changed formation worked ok today. We had 17 shots. If Benrahma wasn't so wasteful we'd have had a hatful of goals. ( Partly a response to Preston)
  • Hamstew said:

Tbh I think thats pretty out order to suggest that whoever you're aiming that at.

Nope,just the way I read it.
  • MrsGrey said:

I thought the slightly changed formation worked ok today. We had 17 shots. If Benrahma wasn't so wasteful we'd have had a hatful of goals. ( Partly a response to Preston)

I think Benrahma needs a bigger cow, with a bigger backside and an even bigger banjo hahaha
  • MrsGrey said:
    Not necessarily - but it is the reason why I feel frustrated at our set up, the article is totally in line with my belief that Ings and Scamacca seem to have the makings of a partnership and I agree that Antonio has the physicality to be effective up top his own.

In a nutshell, it leads to my belief that DM is way to set in his ways as I really struggle to understand why DM does not at least try out Ings and Scamacca as a pair up top
  • @MrsGrey, Yes I do but I am not currently the manager of the team that is being run like the Titanic!!! =)

Another link to a report which indicates I am not alone?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/03/12/do-west-ham-actually-realise-relegation-battle/
  • In my view I think we played pretty well and had it not been for some poor decision making and finishing inside the box we could easily have been writing about a 3-1 win.

My positives were that the team seemed to be really up for it and battled like a side who recognise the situation they are in. It may not have been his best game but Rice's attitude is certainly not someone seeing out the season, he was a man possessed at times and it nearly spilled over once or twice.

My man of the match was Emmerson, whilst I was pleased that Bowen looked a little more like the player we had last season.

My criticism is that we needed three points here and they were there for the taking in my view. I think Moyes was too careful again and didn't use our subs to change the game as afraid of losing the point. This wasn't a six pointer however and I would have gambled for all three by taking off Soucek and adding Scamacca into the forward line and play two up front with twenty to go.
  • Every chance we’ll be back in bottom three before our next game as there are games in midweek & next weekend.
  • Southampton v Brentford - Weds
    Brighton v Palace v Weds

Forest v Newcastle - Fri

Villa v Bournemouth- Sat
    Brentford v Leicester - Sat
    Southampton v Spurs - Sat
    Wolves v Leeds - Sat
    Chelsea v Everton - Sat

Arsenal v Palace - Sun

So we need Villa to win, Leeds to not win & Southampton to take no more than 2 points from their 2 games, to stay out the bottom 3 before international break.
  • In my view I think we played pretty well and had it not been for some poor decision making and finishing inside the box we could easily have been writing about a 3-1 win.

My positives were that the team seemed to be really up for it and battled like a side who recognise the situation they are in. It may not have been his best game but Rice's attitude is certainly not someone seeing out the season, he was a man possessed at times and it nearly spilled over once or twice.

My man of the match was Emmerson, whilst I was pleased that Bowen looked a little more like the player we had last season.

My criticism is that we needed three points here and they were there for the taking in my view. I think Moyes was too careful again and didn't use our subs to change the game as afraid of losing the point. This wasn't a six pointer however and I would have gambled for all three by taking off Soucek and adding Scamacca into the forward line and play two up front with twenty to go.

The issue is that our tactics seem to be give Bowen or Benrahma the ball & they run the length of the pitch & try & score or get a cross in. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
  • I think, what it comes down to, is our squad is not as good as we think. The quality is just not there. We can keep saying we’re better than where we are, but I am not sure we are. We lack quality in attacking areas & that’s been the case all season.
  • Arsenal had 15 shots 7 on target. Fulham 12 and 2 Utd 10 and 4. Southampton 17 and 4. Newcastle 19 and 8, wolves 7 and 4
    We had 17 and 6 and Villa 12 and 4.
    Based on that I think to say we were set up to not lose is stretching it a bit. It looks more to me that our attackers, whoever they are, are not properly firing.
  • edited March 2023
    Concern for me is our remaining home games only have two winnable games; Saints & Leeds.

Our away games are almost a write off, as we don’t win away games.
  • thorn, How many of the chances fell to Benrahma & Scamacca wasn’t on the pitch?
  • It was a day where we created chances, although maybe not fantastic chances. It wasn't a bad performance overall, but things just weren't clicking.

*Benrahma had a great chance to play Bowen in as he broke the offside trap high up the pitch, but found the defender.

*Bowen drove forward really well, but his pull back was just behind Fornals who couldn't then get a shot on target.

*Paqueta played a lovely ball along the edge of the 6 yard box but no-one attacked it.

*Benrahma danced his way to and along the byline, but couldn't keep his cross out of Martinez's reach.

*Aguerd poked a ball just wide instead of on target.

*Zouma put a very good chance with a header wide.

On another day we could easily have scored another goal or two, it's certainly far from the worst we've played all season, but again some shoddy defending means one goal wasn't enough. On the plus side, at least we came back from a goal down again, but it really does feel like two points we could ill afford to drop today.

Overall Benrahma attempted a lot of shots, but, as too often this season, on the whole they really weren't particularly threatening. He gets in a lot of good positions, but he coulda scored a whole lot more this season, and at times his decision making, both with shots and passes, leaves a lot to be desired; he can be incredibly frustrating to watch.

Wrt Scamacca, I read somewhere that his "data" (presumably fitness levels) isn't where it should be (or more likely, isn't where it was earlier in the season given that we won't really have too much else to go on), so maybe that's why Moyes is reluctant to use him, either because he feels Scamacca won't be fit enough to do well, or because he's more likely to injure himself again if he plays when not fully fit.
  • Where do we get our remaining 12-14 points (minimum) from? Our remaining games are not easy as we have a lot of tough home games which is where we have taken most of our points.
  • Lukerz said:

Where do we get our remaining 12-14 points (minimum) from? Our remaining games are not easy as we have a lot of tough home games which is where we have taken most of our points.

There are plenty out there that don't think we'll get them at all. Arguably Southampton and Bournemouth are the easiest games, but they've both shown some fight against big teams this weekend and will, one assumes, have gained some confidence from that.

I saw after the Brighton game that the super computer still has us staying up; I'd be interested to see its output after this weekend, particularly with Bournemouth and Southampton gaining points that few expected.

36 points to play for, so plenty available to keep us up, but there's nothing in how we've played this season that makes me think we'll get more than 8-10, tops. Only the form of other clubs will determine whether that would be enough to stay up.
  • We need to look to Palace away also. I'm pretty sure their home form is poor and they haven't had a shot on target for 3 games.
  • Oh and I hate them
  • Buffy, it was probably this...

• The quote from Moyes is the same, although I read it in a different article. The worry is that if he's as fit as he's going to be then he'll never be suited to the PL, kinda like Haller, but hopefully it's more a case of he hasn't fully recovered his fitness since his injury and so is below his levels from earlier in the season. Whether those levels are enough to cut it in the PL is another story though.