Brighton v West Ham. Sat 4th March 3pm.

Comments

• We’ve had Moyes say Brighton were the better team and Rice saying we let ourselves and the fans down but they’re just get outs. It’s easy for them to say it hurts but being paid tens of thousands per week soothes things a tad especially as Rice knows he’s off anyway at the end of the season but it’s hard earned cash wasted for the fans.
    It might ease a bit if they said they were embarrassed and ashamed at the performance they put in and they’ll try to ensure it doesn’t happen again.
  • Ings attempted 9 passes all game, 4 were successful. Were they from kick offs?
  • alderz said:

Ings attempted 9 passes all game, 4 were successful. Were they from kick offs?

Yeah, cos he had great service didn’t he?

• edited March 2023
    Hope not because he would have kicked off 5 times so surely he didn’t misplace one of those.
  • Slacker said:

alderz said:

Just to be clear - I was not attaching any blame to Ings - it was not his fault that he quite literally barely got a kick of the ball the entire game - but therein lies the problem…………..
  • Still don't get taking Benny off at half time ,the one player we have who might have got a pass to ings
  • Slacker said:

alderz said:

I only watched the last 15 minutes of the first half, which is why I asked if those passes were from kick offs.

That said I have no idea, but I would imagine he didn’t because our lone strikers typically don’t get much service.
  • alderz said:

alderz said:

Let’s all keep a respectful tone and make sure we don’t get into arguments or personal attacks at all please everyone.

Says the man throwing fists at Rav the other day... 😉
    Yeah but I have the power to ban accounts so I can do what I like
    Is your first name Vladimir?
    steve said:

Still don't get taking Benny off at half time ,the one player we have who might have got a pass to ings

I was going to post at HT, Fornals on for Soućek. Is it something personal with Moyes and Benny? If so, it's very unprofessional.

Another thing how do Brighton find these players? Their scouts are on a different level.
  • BND, We were linked with Caicedo before he went to Brighton so our scouts aren't always asleep when these players are there to be spotted.
  • We are linked with virtually everybody every window but that doesn’t mean we were trying to sign them.
  • thorn, You are probably correct but doesn't that make it even more disappointing if we weren't trying to sign him?
  • I think we have to accept the team is not as good as we seem to think.
  • Lukerz said:

I think we have to accept the team is not as good as we seem to think.

I do wonder if there's something very wrong with the club; we buy players, they nearly always regress, yet seem to find form once they leave us.
  • Apart from Johnson every one of our players who took part today is a full international, not all current, but full internationals none the less so it’s difficult to understand why they can’t appear to do even the basics.
    It wasn’t anything to do with tactics today but merely that every one of them were totally useless for whatever reason. It’s as if something happened 75 minutes into the cup game Wednesday that suddenly rendered their footballing brains redundant and they no longer had any idea what they were doing. Obviously Wednesday to Saturday wasn’t long enough for the amnesia to resolve and it carried over. Hopefully by Thursday in Cyprus it will be cured but it definitely needs to be by next Sunday.
  • edited March 2023
    I am that guy that changes lanes in a traffic jam only for that lane to get stuck and my old lane starts flowing, now if I changed alligence to the Arsenal, do you think…………….. no probably wouldn’t work…….would it????
  • After 25 games, the EPL table does not lie. We have not been good enough for more than a year and Moyes has had plenty of money and time to change things. Today, was the worst performance that I have seen. Why buy Paqueta, if Moyes does not know where to play him? Why spend millions on a striker who hasn't delivered much (injuries haven't helped). Why persevere with a skipper who has said that he wants to leave? Why have contract rebels in the team (e.g. Coufal, Soucek, Johnson). WHU are too predictable. We don't know what happens in training but players don't seem to be adequately prepared.
  • So after time yo reflect ......

That was probably the worst display of football from us for many years IMO...

We were absolutely useless.....

Rice as a captain, IMO he needs to take a good look at himself. because a decent player he may well be, but a captain...NO WAY, he's poor.

As for the rest of the team yeterday, WOW...IMO Johnson and Bowen were as bad as it got, but not sure one player came away with any cedit in all orality.

Moyes simply must go, I'd sooner be telegated with someone else ( Noble + help ) rather than witness this rubbish week in week out.

Sadly we get fantastic coverage of EPL / European matches and get to watch 95% matches live, or delayed, sometimes I wish we didn't.

I will always support West Ham but feel it's long, longoverdue that Moyes has gone past his sell by date.

He seems void of any tactics/ ideas to get us out this mess, and yesterday wasn't a onew off, the writing has been on the wall for probably a season and a half...

I really, really hope the board make the call and send Moyes off on his travels...

All IMO of course.

• edited March 2023
    My typing was shocking, so should have read :

So after time to reflect ......

That was probably the worst display of football from us I have seen for many years IMO...

We were absolutely useless.....And that is being kind.

Rice as a captain, IMO he needs to take a good look at himself. because a decent player he may well be, but a captain...NO WAY, he's poor.

As for the rest of the team yeterday, WOW...IMO Johnson and Bowen were as bad as it got, but not sure one player came away with any cedit in all reality.

Moyes simply must go, I'd sooner be relegated with someone else ( Noble + help )or any other manager rather than witness this rubbish week in week out.

Sadly we get fantastic coverage of EPL / European matches out in South Africa and I get to watch 95% matches live, or delayed, sometimes I wish we didn't.

As much as I cringe when watching us for a long while, as a fan it's not like you can stop yourself from watching it if it's live on TV, but WOW some of the games in the last 18 months have made me feel quite sick in the stomach it's been that bad.

I will always support West Ham but feel it's long, long overdue that Moyes has sadly gone past his sell by date.

He seems void of any tactics/ ideas to get us out this mess, and yesterday wasn't a one off, the writing has been on the wall for probably a season and a half...

I really, really hope the board make the call and send Moyes off on his travels...ASAP PLEASE

All IMO of course.
  • Ahhhh, and I was ready to type that Jays post was a proofreaders dream.... Then I saw his next one!
  • Another thing that concerns me is that I did not see Rice getting animated and driving the team. i hope his head is not elsewhere
  • The only thing keeping me to renew my season ticket is that as a senior it's as cheap as chips.
    At nearly seventy i have come to the realisation that we will nether ever be a team that will win anything.Just a team hanging around the premier league playing out our games
    When i was younger there was always hope but as i've got older this has just been ground out of me.
    This might seem a silly old rant from an old man but i wear my heart on my sleeve and i am still feeling raw from one of the worst displays i have ever seen from our team.
  • The players and manager should be compensating the away fans for tickets and travel.

I said before Moyes needed to do the impossible and win against Forest Brighton Villa. He needs not just a result and 3 points against Villa but a performance to boot, I think if we slip into the relegation spots we aren't getting out of it this time.
  • Watched the sports section on the BBC news this morning. They covered City winning, Arsenal’s dramatic turnaround to keep 5 points clear, all as you would expect. Then they showed Brighton’s 4th goal and said how bad we’d been and showed Moyes interview. Shows how bad it was to become national news.
    The only positive I can take today from that game is that even if they tried deliberately they couldn’t possibly play that bad again.
    I hope they spend all tomorrow watching that game over and over again and suffer the way we did.
  • As bad as we've been all season, that result really was an outlier; we've not lost by more than 2 goals all season and we've only conceded 3 twice all season before yesterday, against Arsenal on Boxing Day and obviously against Man Utd on Wednesday.

Johnson had an absolute shocker (I'm not just blaming him, but it's true); for some-one who's mostly been out of the team in recent months to come in and have a game like that you've got to wonder what it's going to do to his confidence, which could be a concern going forward.
  • Watched the sports section on the BBC news this morning. They covered City winning, Arsenal’s dramatic turnaround to keep 5 points clear, all as you would expect. Then they showed Brighton’s 4th goal and said how bad we’d been and showed Moyes interview. Shows how bad it was to become national news.
    The only positive I can take today from that game is that even if they tried deliberately they couldn’t possibly play that bad again.
    I hope they spend all tomorrow watching that game over and over again and suffer the way we did.

We couldn't possibly play that bad again......you sure?
  • I think I’m sure. Yesterday was beyond belief.
  • There’s one thing playing badly and there’s another thing knowing why we didn’t play well and what needs to be done to turn it around. I’m not convinced Moyes knows the answers.

If we played the same Brighton team next week, I think Moyes would play the same system and we’d get the same result. That’s what worries me more! If we do manage to stay up, I think it’ll be more through luck than Moyes and the team learning from mistakes.
  • That performance was so bad that if someone told me that they had seen the players out on the sherbet the night before I would not have doubted them.
  • Rice's interview wasn't great imo
  • If we played the same Brighton team next week, I think Moyes would play the same system and we’d get the same result.

I don't think we'd generally lose 4-0 tbh, that scoreline isn't in any way typical and it was a dreadful performance even by our recent standards. Whether we'd win though, that's another question.