Tottenham vs West Ham (A) Sunday 19th Feb 16:30 KO

12346»

Comments

• We dont seem to have any ideas going forward other than stop, pass back or sideways. i think Bowen and Benrahma (sometimes) are the only ones who try to break down defences. We do have the talent to be much more aggressive going forward but play with so much caution.
  • One of the issues now may be that Moyes is so defensive minded that we have got used to him setting up not to lose against top six teams, even though it has never seemed to yield too much as a tactic. He may now begin to shackle the team against Forest and the other teams we need to be really going all out for three points against.

Leaving aside the disappointment of today we are still one of around 7-8 sides who could get relegated as it's very compact this season with no side cut adrift yet. One of the more worrying things regard this weekend is that we saw those teams around us are capable of getting a result against league position and I am not sure we are at present.

• I thought we were decent first half, it felt to me like we kept them at bay pretty easily. But we all know that Spurs are a second half team, and we weren’t ready for them coming out at us.

I guess my main issue is that when you’re chasing the game, why not try two up top? I don’t have a problem with the lineup, and I don’t really have a problem with the approach - Forest and Southampton took similar approaches yesterday, and sometimes these things workout.

I think that Moyes has become ultra conservative because our attackers have been rubbish this year. But the conservatism means we have fewer chances and it becomes a bit of a vicious cycle as a result.
  • I agree about the two up, I think if we get Scamacca fit lets try him and Ings as out and out attackers and use Antonio as a sub against tired legs.
  • "Moyes sets the team up not to lose" is something that's posted on here a lot.
    I'd rather he set the team up to win and accept defeat if it doesn't come off. It can't be any worse can it?
  • Well the game is well and truly afoot now, to be fair we pressed well, played with spirit and for much of the game held our own against a good team, the problem is that we just did not look like scoring.

We have so little possession in the final third that when we do get there, we seem clueless, our final ball in is often terrible, and what on earth do we do on the training ground as regards corners.

I fail to understand why ANY professional footballer cannot deliver a decent corner but we have made terrible corner taking an art form, Only once today was there a decent delivery from a corner.

All in all, I concur with many previous comments, we are set up way to conservatively and I have been an advocate for two up for years and I have to think that Scamacca and Ings have the dna to make a decent partnership that should cause anyone problems.

But what do I know
  • Got home from the game last night at about 11 pm too tired to post which was probably a good thing. Yesterday’s game was poor and not helped by sitting in the Tottenham fans who, bizarrely, are just as frustrated by their displays as we are with ours. At half time they were moaning and demanding Conte out. Both teams spent far too much time going sideways and backwards but they were worse than us in that half and it looked like we’d comfortably get a point.
    Trouble was that when their defence made an error we were useless trying to make anything of it but they have players who can. Both their goals were preventable especially the second which if Ogbonna had let the ball go and not jumped with Kane then it wouldn’t have been perfectly in his path to slot Son through. Once they were 2 up their fans were all over being top 4 and singing West Ham are going down. Only one of those are likely to be true and it won’t be the first.
    What is obvious watching the game live when you can see the whole pitch and not just the TV screen is how useless Antonio is as a footballer. His control is non existent and his anticipation is woeful and it seems he can’t jump or at least time his jumps. In the second half there were a few, not many, but a few attacks where Emerson or Coufal or Benrhama could or needed to cross but there was nobody really in the box to attack it if it went in there. Antonio was just loitering around the edge of the box or on the other side. He used to be a beast but he seems to have lost even that.
  • Antonio is not a CF. He should be used as a winger, or failing that, dropped.
  • I think he can be an effective striker as long as there are other people around him. His hold up play is generally pretty good, but when he's totally isolated there's not much he can do with it, and you can see after the first few times he holds it up and has nobody to lay it to his head drops and he doesn't seem as interested. If a couple of Bowen, Benrahma, Ings, Scamacca, whoever else are up there with him I think he becomes a much better player.

What I would say, is he's not a regular goalscorer wherever you play him, so if we're relying on him to score the goals to keep us up it's a problem. It wouldn't matter so much if Bowen and Soucek (for example) we're scoring the way they did last season, but when nobody else has their scoring boots on Antonio isn't reliable enough to the the responsibility.
  • I see a few people are coming around to Slackers way of thinking.
  • I think most are just resigned to the fact that Moyes ain’t going anywhere.
  • Plus Slacker can be very persuasive.. we all know what happens when he doesn’t get his tea served in the correct mug..
  • Mr. Hindsight here, about to watch the (recorded) game. I'll let you know who was right or wrong later. It was an interesting read though...😉
  • Yesterday: great for the first 5 minutes, then it got worse and then it went downhill.

Not much more to report really.
  • steve said:

We look like a team that's going down

Get 9/2 on Skybet for that.
  • IronHerb said:

steve said:

We look like a team that's going down

Get 9/2 on Skybet for that.
    Yup, had a ton on that already.

• The latest super computer analysis up to and including yesterday’s results have us finishing 14th.
  • Oh dear…

• That's got to be photo shopped. Hahaha
  • Genuine honest guv