Tottenham vs West Ham (A) Sunday 19th Feb 16:30 KO

Comments

• I don’t think that wound be a bad thing. Tottenham’s midfield is weak, he could play Bowen & Antonio up top & bring in Fornals.
  • Benrahma's not had much impact the last two weeks so it would be understandable if Moyes dropped him this week, especially compared to when he's been dropped earlier in the season.

I still think Fornals is pretty useful in a counter-attacking system but his cameos this season have been a bit on-off as well. Might not be a bad game for him, though if Spurs are still playing that Emerson Royale, maybe Benrahma would be good against him, he just needs to be more like he was before these last couple of games. I think he lost a bit of steam after the World Cup tbh.
  • Injury updates in Moyes's presser:

Lucas Paqueta is not going to be available. Nayef [Aguerd] has a chance, but we’re not sure if he’s ready or not.

“It’s great that Gianluca [Scamacca] is back training, but he’s not ready to be selected yet. I might be able to get him involved, but minutes will be limited.”
  • edited February 2023

Injury updates in Moyes's presser:

Lucas Paqueta is not going to be available. Nayef [Aguerd] has a chance, but we’re not sure if he’s ready or not.

“It’s great that Gianluca [Scamacca] is back training, but he’s not ready to be selected yet. I might be able to get him involved, but minutes will be limited.”

Scamacca to come on in the 90th minute then for 2 minutes. Hopefully he can score the winner during his cameo!
  • Scamacca, Antonio & Ings, embarrassment of riches
  • Lukerz said:

Scamacca, Antonio & Ings, embarrassment of riches

Yeah, I can hear the gnashing of teeth in jealousy at Citeh, Arsenal, Mancs etc.
  • Point today takes us 16th ahead of Forest, win takes us 15th.

So important not to lose.
  • edited February 2023
    Lukerz said:

Point today takes us 16th ahead of Forest, win takes us 15th.

So important not to lose.

Not sure about that 😉 Think you mean 🐺🐺
  • 👍

Is it worth giving Ings a start today, given we need goals.
  • edited February 2023
    So 5th best defence in the league (only bettered by Arsenal, City, Newcastle & Chelsea) but 4th worst attack. Easy to see where our issues lie.

From what I’ve seen of Spurs of late & their midfield options, I would be very disappointed if we didn’t see this as a massive chance to get 3 points.
  • edited February 2023
    Fabiański, Coufal, Kehrer, Ogbonna, Aguerd, Emerson, Rice ©, Souček, Downes, Bowen, Antonio
    Subs: Areola (GK), Johnson, Cresswell, Scamacca, Fornals, Ings, Benrahma, Casey

So, Aguerd starts which is a needed boost, Benrahma unsurprisingly dropped after 2 very average performances, the only real surprise is that Downes comes in for him. Looking like a 3-5-2.

Only 8 on the bench again, including Casey who I've not heard of. At least Scamacca is fit enough for the bench though.
  • Downes in for Benrahma, looks like two up top & three in midfield.
  • Just knew moyes would drop Benny
  • Where's Lanzini? I've not heard of any issues with him.
  • Why does Moyes not name full quota of substitutes? Being on the bench can boost the morale of a younger player and also lets them taste the atmosphere. So why?
  • Where's Lanzini? I've not heard of any issues with him.

Isn’t he on the bench?
  • edited February 2023

Where's Lanzini? I've not heard of any issues with him.

Isn’t he on the bench?
    According to the BBC he is, but seems the OS has managed to get the matchday details wrong again as he's not been included there. Our media department is just top notch, isn't it? What I posted above is cut and pasted from the OS, which lists only 8 subs and no Lanzini.
  • Soucek/Rice with a bit more licence to get forward ? COYI
  • BBC website has Lanzini on te bench. WHU site doesn't and shows only 8 subs.
  • Lanzini on bench according to Sky & West Ham Twitter.
  • edited February 2023
    Downes is a very good presser of a football so I think that’s positive for our counter-attacking.

Coufal & Emerson have to get forward for this formation to work.
  • Has a back 5 and 3 defensive midfielders ever worked....

The big 6 aren't good this year, once you go at them they drop points

An early goal for them today and we'd have to change the whole shape

Even putting in Fornals for Bennie would've been OK, give us something

Think we lose a very one sided, if not low scoring game
  • It looks like Moyes is still going for a defensive set up again. It will probably take going a goal down before we are allowed to play again. I often feel we only look dangerous after going a goal down against these teams but that when we do we manage to cause them problems. It's like kicking off a goal down.
  • edited February 2023
    Depends how the front two work. If it’s a genuine two up top & a couple of midfielders get forward to support, then it could work. Wing-backs also need to get forward. Any side can work but it has to be about mentality of the players.
  • Stick Soucek in the 10 role and put Downes next to Rice, Just let Soucek float into the box.
  • Get Rice off corners please?
  • FWIW, Spurs are so light in centre midfield without Bentancur. Having a three should allow us to boss the middle of the park, so I think it makes sense.

What doesn’t make sense though is Rice taking corners.
  • 2 very poor corners...I agree, get him off them.
  • Stick Soucek in the 10 role and put Downes next to Rice, Just let Soucek float into the box.

Soucek is getting high up the pitch, which I like