The Reader’s Digest: Pre Summer Transfer Speculation

Comments

• "She" might be better than half our team! =)
  • Ah It was the lasagne comment that confused me and thought it was reference to a Spurs player 👍🏻
  • Arsenal are leading the race to sign England midfielder Declan Rice, 24, from West Ham with his representatives in sustained contact with the Gunners. (Football Insider)

Manchester United are prepared to listen to offers for Scotland midfielder Scott McTominay and believe they can get £25m for the 26-year-old. (Football Insider)
  • edited February 2023
    Someone raised the idea that most football fans are slightly delusional and I think this tweet backs that up! This Villa fan is suggesting that if we go down they should take advantage of the situation and buy Rice & Bowen. He would be doubly chuffed if both Wolves and ourselves go down because he is buying Neves as well.

• Rumours rife that Ham 🤡 is taking flying lessons to fly him there personally ✈️

EVENING STANDARD

Wilfried Zaha is considering a move to link up with Cristiano Ronaldo in Saudi Arabia, after rejecting multiple offers to extend his contract at Crystal Palace.
  • Arsenal have put West Ham's England midfielder Declan Rice, 24, at the top of their wanted list this summer as the Gunners are unlikely to have the funds to compete for Borussia Dortmund's £150m-rated England midfielder Jude Bellingham, 19. (Football.London)

However, Rice would transform Liverpool's midfield if he joined the Reds, according to the club's former midfielder Dietmar Hamann. (Talksport)
  • Ohhh I'd hate it if he signed for Liverpool :)
  • It's ok Baz, he's chasing trophies. 😂
  • Yeah they only won 2 last season so I can understand him not moving there ;)
  • Don't think they're winning anything this season though.
  • Core looks like he has stach’s of admirers..

Liverpool, Newcastle, Tottenham and West Ham are among the Premier League clubs monitoring Mainz and Germany midfielder Anton Stach, 24. (90min)

• edited February 2023
    A small amount of interest In this one..

Fulham, Everton, Leicester and West Ham are interested in Roma and England defender Chris Smalling, 33. (90min)
  • Ravel49 said:

Core looks like he has stach’s of admirers..

Liverpool, Newcastle, Tottenham and West Ham are among the Premier League clubs monitoring Mainz and Germany midfielder Anton Stach, 24. (90min)

Top shelf player.
  • Ravel49 said:

A small amount of interest In this one..

Fulham, Everton, Leicester and West Ham are interested in Roma and England defender Chris Smalling, 33. (90min)

Then we'd have Smallings skills at the back and big Ings up top?
  • Christopher?
  • AC Milan and France striker Olivier Giroud is open to a move back to the Premier League with London sides West Ham, Fulham, Crystal Palace and Brentford all potential destinations for the 36-year-old. (Sun)

Everton, Leicester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Tottenham, West Ham and Wolves have all been monitoring Union Berlin's German midfielder Rani Khedira, 29. (90min)

• edited February 2023
    So with Chelsea unlikely to get any European football next season does that rule them out the Rice race !?!?
  • Depends who the manager is next season. I'm not sure Potter will be there next season.
  • edited February 2023

Depends who the manager is next season. I'm not sure Potter will be there next season.

Yeh, but hasn’t Rice come out saying he wants to play in the champions league etc, we’ll unless he’s patient or sees the bigger picture not even money bag’s new owner or whatever manager is in place could give him that!!
  • Arsenal, Newcastle and West Ham have all made offers near 40m euros (£35.3m) for Lazio and Serbia midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, 27. (Calciomercato - in Italian

West Ham defender Angelo Ogbonna, 34, has confirmed he wants to stay at the club beyond the end of his contract this summer. (Evening Standard)

• Ravel49 said:

West Ham defender Angelo Ogbonna, 34, has confirmed he wants to stay at the club beyond the end of his contract this summer. (Evening Standard)

That's a "no" from me, unfortunately he's not the same player he was before his injury, which is a real shame as he was playing brilliantly at the time.
  • Ogbonna: I want a new West Ham contract
    West Ham defender Angelo Ogbonna has revealed his desire to sign a new contract at the club.
    The 35-year-old has started seven out of the Hammers' last eight league matches but his contract expires at the end of the current campaign.
    Asked if he wants to extend his eight-year stay at the club, Ogbonna said: “Of course. It feels like a family here and I want to be part of this family.
    “Now the most important thing is to get our points and we can talk later.”
  • Love Oggy, but can't see his contract being extended unless we go down. We need to be getting in another starter alongside Aguerd since Zouma cannot be counted on either.
  • If he’s happy to be a backup then I’d definitely keep him. I want these long serving players around the place still
  • edited February 2023
    alderz said:

If he’s happy to be a backup then I’d definitely keep him. I want these long serving players around the place still

I know we kept a clean sheet on Saturday, but I just don't feel confident with him in a back 4 any more, so even if we kept him for a season as 4th choice, it would mean we've got two others out for us to play him, meaning we're unlikely to have the players for a back 3.

We obviously need another quality CB in, so knowing us I wouldn't be surprised to see us keep him on, I guess it depends how big our budget is as we'll surely be targeting a starting LB, possibly a RB, and then likely replacements for Rice and Antonio as well as the aforementioned quality CB.
  • It's difficult though. If we sign someone at the quality of Zouma and Aguerd, then it's maybe a struggle to keep one of them happy if we play a back 4. Then we end up with a signing like Kehrer, who you'd expect to be more reliable than Ogbonna at his age but isn't really. With Ogbonna you know what you're getting and he'll fill that backup role. He might also be less exposed with a better left-back.
  • Kehrer is an odd one, and I'm still hoping (blindly maybe) that there's more to come. It's not an issue that he didn't make it at PSG, it says something that he was there in the first place, and, unlike the Sky 6, they didn't ask ridiculous money for one of their rejects. He's also a Germany international, so surely there's better to come than what he's shown so far for us. He looks quite assured on the ball at times, but, tbh, he seems switched off way too often than a CB can afford to be in the PL.
  • Kehrer's a bit like Diop. Lots that's decent but where Diop switched off and was clumsy, Kehrer does something rash.
  • We need at least four centre backs in the squad and if he is happy to be number four I think he is worth another year extension.
  • Kehrer's a bit like Diop. Lots that's decent but where Diop switched off and was clumsy, Kehrer does something rash.

Must admit Diop came to my mind in that he, whilst decent enough when we bought him, failed to live up to the potential that we hoped he had, so he stayed at decent but nothing more. I wonder if Kehrer was a bit like that in his early 20's and so attracted the attention of PSG, but, like Diop, he never really continued to improve through his 20's as you'd expect a CB to do.
This discussion has been closed.