Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• Top statting alderz 👏👏👏
  • These are the full tables, btw.

• So if we go down it's alderz's fault?

Do we then get Carrick in to do our statting?
  • I guess other teams looking from the outside might say the same but surely Leicester don't go down.
  • Hamstew said:

I guess other teams looking from the outside might say the same but surely Leicester don't go down.

About us I mean
  • Palace literally have most of the bottom half to play, a lot of 6 pointers for them
  • Hamstew said:

I guess other teams looking from the outside might say the same but surely Leicester don't go down.

We're playing them in our final match, could be a real 6 pointer.
  • IronHerb said:

But that's like saying I know as much as a retired Doctor as I'm an average patient.

An ex player has no massive knowledge of manaagement. Yes, in his career he will be in the environmenr and see how some managers work. I obviously agree with that. However, peoples opinions of Moyes's lack of flexibility and inability to mix things up whether during or prior to a game is basically whats been called into question. If we stay up doing the same things then it'll be luck that keeps us up
  • Slacker said:

Bazshuayi said:

Playing at a certain level doesnt guarantee you know anything about managing a club! Lots of terrific players have been poor managers and plentyof people who played at no sort of level have become great managers!

I like Marlene and he's entitled to his opinion of course. I just happen to not agree with it. I also think that just because he's an ex pro, his opinion doesn't carry any more weight than your average fan in the street

Blimey, it was only a joke.
    Lighten up a bit eh?😉
    Most of my posts are 'light'

• Must admit I am surprised that Southampton do not figure as going down in any of those metrics - to my untrained eye, they are a slam dunk for one of the places up for grabs
  • As nice as alderz's tables above are nice, as we don't get relegated in any of them, and especially nice for Ham as Palace go down in 2 of the 3, the 9 teams involved have arguably very different degrees of difficulty in their remaining fixtures. I get that any team can beat any team blah blah blah, but if our survival depended on it I'd rather be playing the likes of Bournemouth or Soton than City or Arsenal (if they were still fighting for the title).

Palace, even if they don't go down, could play a huge role is determining who does, as they've got to play each of the other 8 clubs below Villa before the end of the season. Forest, Everton and Soton only play 4 of the other 8, so you'd feel they have tougher run-ins than most, and certainly tougher than Palace imo.
  • As nice as alderz's tables above are nice, as we don't get relegated in any of them, and especially nice for Ham as Palace go down in 2 of the 3, the 9 teams involved have arguably very different degrees of difficulty in their remaining fixtures. I get that any team can beat any team blah blah blah, but if our survival depended on it I'd rather be playing the likes of Bournemouth or Soton than City or Arsenal (if they were still fighting for the title).

Palace, even if they don't go down, could play a huge role is determining who does, as they've got to play each of the other 8 clubs below Villa before the end of the season. Forest, Everton and Soton only play 4 of the other 8, so you'd feel they have tougher run-ins than most, and certainly tougher than Palace imo.

Yeah, I think there’s just not a way to factor in difficulty of fixtures. I thought about looking at the equivalent results from last year, but we were good then so it felt like a trick!

Until we’re safe there’s always a chance we go down, but I think the point I was trying to make is that, whilst we aren’t in great form, we aren’t from the worst in the league in from, and we aren’t the only ones feeling worried about form.
  • Yeah, tough to look at last season's results, especially as all 3 promoted teams are in the bottom 9 so I don't see how you could do any sort of comparison that includes them. It is quite remarkable than Palace face all the other 8 teams in the space of just their last 11 games.

Fulham could also have a big say in who goes down, they've got to play 7 of the bottom 9, and both Arsenal and Newcastle play 6.
  • It’s not been a happy st paddy’s day for a certain mr vieira ☘️
    Paddy Vieira sacked
  • Hamstew said:

Wow!

Thought that you would be upset Ham, he was doing a great job there =)
  • Hamstew said:

Wow!

Thought that you would be upset Ham, he was doing a great job there =)
    Yeah hope the gamble doesn't pay off
  • edited March 2023
    Interesting read, although not sure where I should have put this so mods please feel free to move it:

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/03/can-david-moyes-find-the-formula-to-keep-west-ham-in-the-premier-league/

Not sure I agree with all of it, especially when he's looked at how Paqueta is used. Yes, he looked good in forward positions against Forest, but we won 4-0 so most players looked good. The comparison is the match against Wolves in January, where he played in a 2 with Rice, the suggestion being that Moyes has "finally" decided to play Paqueta as a 10, whereas he spent most of the start of the season playing there with Rice and Soucek behind him and he was hardly shining there then tbh.

One of the things highlighted is how poor our actuals are compared to our xG, especially as we exceeded our xG last season. I know it's all about the actual goals scored, but we're nearly 11 goals below our xG this season, 24 PL goals scored against an xG of 34.87 for the season so far (stats from Sofascore) and have also conceded nearly 2 goals more than our xG against, 34 against 32.07; we've only exceded our xG 6 times in 26 matches.

According to my calculations (take that for what it is 😂🤣😂), if we look at solely the xG in each match, so the higher xG wins, we'd have 46 points so far, and if we round the xG for each side up or down to the nearest goal, we'd still have 33 points. So maybe, just maybe, some of our criticism against Moyes is a little misplaced, and we've got to look at what the players are doing once they cross the white line.

I know the manager has to accept some or even a lot of responsibility for how the players perform once they're on the pitch (in terms of improving players, ensuring their mental state and confidence is good, etc), but there's absolutely no doubt that the players themselves have hugely underperformed on the pitch this season, especially when it comes to putting the ball in the net, which, after all, is largely what the game is about.
  • Look at you, with your statistics and reasoned argument.

I don't know what this forum is coming to!
  • MrsGrey said:

Look at you, with your statistics and reasoned argument.

I don't know what this forum is coming to!

Yeah, I'm sorry about that, I'll try not to let it happen again.
  • .......especially when it comes to putting the ball in the net, which, after all, is largely what the game is about.

Watching West Ham this season, you'd be forgiven for forgetting that.
  • I reckon alderz should be scared. Although I reckon Buffy should too, as alderz as gotten a little angry recently hahaha
  • Manager David Moyes and his West Ham coaches fear they will be sacked if the Hammers lose to relegation rivals Southampton on Sunday. (Mail)
  • If we don’t win on Sunday, we’re going down.
  • After the Southampton game there will still be 33 points to play for.
  • If we don’t win on Sunday, we’re going down.

Surely you mean that YOU think we’re going down?
  • I hope that whatever the result on Saturday, I would not want to see DM sacked, history when written will highlight the unwillingness of the board to act when they should, and the willingness to act when they shouldn’t,

If we lose on Saturday, the game is well and truly afoot and changing managers at such a crucial time can only be further disruptive,

IMO
  • Simply put, as of now, DM should see this season out but even if we survive, I would not want to have him in charge next year
  • Slacker said:

If we don’t win on Sunday, we’re going down.

Surely you mean that YOU think we’re going down?
    I mean I am 99.9999% certain we will go down.
  • Lets be positive - 0.0001% certain we will stay up