Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• edited March 2023
    mike said:

@OldCastleSwift
    As always with Sullivan, I suspect it's all about the money.

Spot On OCS

How much did they spend in the summer?

It's part of his job to manage the finances of the club.

There isn't the scope for unlimited spending, for various reasons. We've spent big in the past so I really don't think I'm convinced be the assertion that Sullivan just makes all decisions based on the cheapest option.
  • Welcome back MrsGrey .missed you .or did I miss something ,Have you moved yet if so hope it went well
  • edited March 2023
    Yes, moved. ( Kind of..am back in UK but not moved into my own place yet as quite a few things to do to make it habitable)
  • https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/06/david-moyes-dressing-room-discontent-west-ham-tactics

I'm not sure how well placed Jacob Steinberg is, but I believe he's considered to be one of the more reputable football journalists out there. This article is quite worrying, particularly the assertion that:

"his tactics are causing unease in the dressing room. It is understood some players have grown weary of his caution and feel it is holding them back. There is an increasing lack of faith in the approach favoured by Moyes, who has had little success with attempts to introduce a more attacking style this season.

It is understood there was unease after he named a defensive side when West Ham, who have scored 23 goals in 25 league games, visited Tottenham last month. It was felt that a cautious 5-3-2 gave them little chance of winning. West Ham lost 2-0 after barely creating any chances."

Obviously players have come out publicly in support of Moyes, which is to be expected, but this suggests that all may not be well in the dressing room.
  • edited March 2023
    MrsGrey said:

Yes, moved. ( Kind of..am back in UK but not moved into my own place yet as quite a few things to do to make it habitable)

I hope you've got a hot water bottle
  • Ravel49 said:

👏🏻

Is it just me... If a company wants to hire a manager, in the interview proess or job spec, aurely they would decide how qualified or unqualified a candidate they pick would be? Why is foot ball different? Its not like hes doing anything but showing plenty of coaches with qualifications up
  • edited March 2023
    I don't know how many other careers are the same, but it's common for some types of jobs to be restricted to people who have certain qualifications and other requirements, specified at a national level. Despite what the specific employer might be happy to accept, they are constrained by laws.
  • I totally agree Baz, there are obviously jobs you need qualifications for but a football manager is not one of them any more than a footballer is. Should a club see something they like they should be able to hire him.
  • I don't think the board can be held responsible in any way for this mess we are in. They have selected Moyes and it looked, and proved to be, a good appointment and they have backed him financially, as they did Pellegrini before him.

I don't think Moyes is the man now as he is trying more of the same but hoping our fortunes will change. The club are in a difficult situation however in as much as they have four choices in my view.

1. Appoint a targeted manager they see as the right man for the club going forward,(unlikely at this stage of the season).
    2. find a gun for hire to keep us up regardless of long term suitability, (the Everton, Dyche scenario.)
    3. Gamble on a motivational appointment like Noble in the hope the players are good enough if motivated and set free enough, (a bit like I see England in that Southgate keeps a good dressing room and motivates, probably adds little tactically but the players are that good at present and beat the teams they should regardless.
    4. Keep Moyes and hope he scrapes through the finish line.

As 1 & 2 are probably not possible at this stage I think we end up at 3 or 4 and that's not a decision I could make with any real conviction or confidence.

• With regards to Will Still, according to a BBC article, he's a lifelong West Ham supporter, just saying ;)
  • https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/06/david-moyes-dressing-room-discontent-west-ham-tactics

I'm not sure how well placed Jacob Steinberg is, but I believe he's considered to be one of the more reputable football journalists out there. This article is quite worrying, particularly the assertion that:

"his tactics are causing unease in the dressing room. It is understood some players have grown weary of his caution and feel it is holding them back. There is an increasing lack of faith in the approach favoured by Moyes, who has had little success with attempts to introduce a more attacking style this season.

It is understood there was unease after he named a defensive side when West Ham, who have scored 23 goals in 25 league games, visited Tottenham last month. It was felt that a cautious 5-3-2 gave them little chance of winning. West Ham lost 2-0 after barely creating any chances."

Obviously players have come out publicly in support of Moyes, which is to be expected, but this suggests that all may not be well in the dressing room.

I sort of know Jacob through my son and he’s definitely not your run of the mill rumour monger journo and he’s very close to the club.
  • Claret, pretty good summing up I think. Without wishing to sound like a broken record I’m not sure Noble is an option as nobody seems to know whether he’s got his qualifications.🤷🏻‍♂️
  • I really don’t see Noble as an option, especially in a relegation scrap. It would be a bit like Shearer when he managed Newcastle. Basically it’s not a job for a newbie.
  • Or like Brooking when he took over. Sure we went down, but what a ride it was.
  • Brooking only took over from Roeder because he knew it was a short term appointment and with less than three weeks until the end of the season there wasn't an alternative.
  • What a ride though.
  • Was it something like this?

• edited March 2023
    Bilic sacked by Watford!
  • We need to be all over that =)
  • At least we won't get Wilder. 😱
  • The Watford owner is a client of my son. Getting closer now to his getting the job and for me to become a Hornet for a couple of months.
  • Trevor is 74. Last time he took over the club he loves reluctantly knowing it was short term. I really can’t see that he is a viable option for the club or that he would remotely want that responsibility again.
  • Trevor is 74. Last time he took over the club he loves reluctantly knowing it was short term. I really can’t see that he is a viable option for the club or that he would remotely want that responsibility again.

Yeah, I said earlier, he deserves better than to get involved, although part of me wants him alongside Noble at least until the end of the season.
  • Scott Parker reported to be struggling at Club Brugge

Joined on New Years Day, P12 W2 D6 L4, currently 4th, lost to Benfica 5-1 last night (7-1 agg), and lost 3-0 to Ostend (16th) at the weekend
  • Scott Parker sacked.
  • Time to set some emotional music and Parker motivational speeches as the background to him spinning around in circles in a West Ham shirt.
  • Time to set some emotional music and Parker motivational speeches as the background to him spinning around in circles in a West Ham shirt.

Ah, the Parker pirouette, I'm getting all nostalgic now.
  • Scott Parker sacked.

WSBAOT
  • 🌪️🌪️🌪️