The World Cup Squads and Preamble; And it's ... Live!!

Comments

• I didn't watch the game, hence why I asked. Is that ok?
  • Mrs G FIFA stipulated at the beginning of the tournament that officials should clamp down on time wasting in whatever form it took eg delays in goal kicks, throw ins and ‘non’ injuries and slow walk offs at subs etc and add on the time. That’s why nearly every game has had somewhere between 6-10 minutes and in one game 14.
    The FA and PL have said they will not do this domestically and will stick to what we’ve always done ie only for injury stoppages and subs. I’m not even sure they actually do this as it’s supposed to be 30 secs per subs but it always seems to be 3/4 minutes.
    I wonder if it’s ingrained into our refs and they can’t do anything different.
    I’m all for adding all the wasted time on at the end notwithstanding this does not apply to West Ham games where we are hanging on.
  • In fact I'll go and have a look myself.
  • I didn't watch the game, hence why I asked. Is that ok?

Of course it is. =)
  • Question who decides how much time is added on as IF Messrs Taylor & Oliver are officiating the way they do in the Premier League that is going against Mr Collina's directive?

MrsG, It wouldn't surprise me if the Middle Eastern countries haven't used some kind of high tech video trick to super impose a male head over the female officials.

4th official.
  • So there is controversy over one of Japan's goals?

Ball looked clearly over the touch line.
  • IronHerb said:

So there is controversy over one of Japan's goals?

From the high angle along the line they showed later it wasn't so clear.

It's a real shame Costa Rica couldn't hold on to that lead. Spain and Germany both going out for a brief period.
  • IronHerb said:

So there is controversy over one of Japan's goals?

From the high angle along the line they showed later it wasn't so clear.

It's a real shame Costa Rica couldn't hold on to that lead. Spain and Germany both going out for a brief period.
    👍 Haven't seen that angle.
  • That truly is the finest of margins,
  • No one likes to see a team go out as a result of that ..........cough, cough. =)
  • IronHerb said:

Question who decides how much time is added on as IF Messrs Taylor & Oliver are officiating the way they do in the Premier League that is going against Mr Collina's directive?

MrsG, It wouldn't surprise me if the Middle Eastern countries haven't used some kind of high tech video trick to super impose a male head over the female officials.

4th official.
    Pretty sure IH is correct re additional time, it’s down to 4th official at this WC NOT ref, so it has then nothing to do with Taylor ( who I thought had an excellent game ) or Oliver, just saying…
  • That truly is the finest of margins,

Must admit I'd be gutted if that was against us, but only because it's sooooo close. However, by the laws of the game, the ball is still in, and, as I've said before, if technology allows us to reach the correct decision, then that has to be a good thing imo.
  • edited December 2022
    You have to admit that the games yesterday made for gripping viewing, that for a minute or two, Costa Rica were 2-1 up against Germany which would have knocked both Germany and Spain out was amazing.

Imagine losing your first game 7-0 and then coming back and knocking your conquerors out, crazy - and then that Japanese goal being soooo close but confining the Germans to book an early flight home.

The 2nd half of those games was mind spinning 😵‍💫
  • You have to admit that the games yesterday made for gripping viewing, that for a minute or two, Costa Rica were 2-1 up against Germany which would have knocked both Germany and Spain out was amazing.

Imagine losing your first game 7-0 and then coming back and knocking your conquerors out, crazy - and then that Japanese goal being soooo close but confining the Germans to book an early flight home.

The 2nd half of those games was mind spinning 😵‍💫

Indeed, and yet FIFA, in their infinite wisdom, have completely changed the structure for the next World Cup to expand an already large competition to an even bigger one. 3 teams to a group, with 2 progressing, means no more double-headers, and a new "Round of 32".
  • edited December 2022
    I think this shows how easy it is to incorrectly think a ball is out if you haven't got a view directly along the line (courtesy of BBC who nicked it from Twitter I think):
  • I think this shows how easy it is to incorrectly think a ball is out if you haven't got a view directly along the line (courtesy of BBC who nicked it from Twitter I think):

I’m so glad you said who set that up.
    Just for a couple of seconds I thought “ he hasn’t had he?” 😂
  • That really made me LOL 👍🏻
  • I first saw Uruguay in the opening game of the ‘66 World Cup against England when their captain Ratin was up to all the nasty little tricks. I thought then what a nasty team they were and nothing over the years has happened to change my mind.
  • edited December 2022
    Ratin was Argentinian old mate. But your right about Uruguay, I’d forgotten what a horrible little specimen Suarez is.
  • Ooops, my bad. Good job I’m not doing an id parade.
  • edited December 2022
    Uruguay doing all they thought they needed to, by beating Ghana, but obviously didn't count on South Korea beating Portugal. Shame 😂🤣😂

Edit: It's all over. Uruguay out. Suarez out, couldn't happen to a nicer guy 😂🤣😂
  • I’m deffo going to the pub. What a great game. It’s Friday night, Uruguay are out courtesy of Korea and Suarez is gutted. It doesn’t get much better. =) >:)
  • Uruguay took that with good grace didn’t they?
    Their dressing room will need a bit of tlc.
  • Good grace are never two words Uruguay bring to mind.
  • Everybody Hwang Chung tonight
  • edited December 2022
    Another of our old boys getting game time today, Edimilson Fernandes has just come on for Switzerland (after Ayew earlier on).
  • Another of our old boys getting game time today, Edimilson Fernandes has just come on for Switzerland (after Ayew earlier on).

Playing as a defender, apparently ( or at least that's how he's listed)
  • edited December 2022
    Cameroon score a late goal against Brazil and the scorer does a Freddie Piquionne and gets a second yellow for removing his shirt and gets sent off.

A booking for removing your shirt seems a stupid rule to me anyway, but why on earth do players insist on doing it when it gets you a card?
  • There were 11 bookings in the Serbia/Swiss game