Home to yucky old Zaha FC

Comments

• We are so boring to watch, no pace, no creativity, no energy, no passion, no gameplan

It's the same formation and style week in week out and Moyes subs are like for like

Mix it up, play Antonio and Scamacca

Be brave, take off Bowen not Benrahma who atm is the only attacker who looks like he knows he's a winger

Moyes is tactically so inflexible

Gotta agree, there was no reason to take off Benny over Bowen, and, tbh, what does Lanzini offer going forwards these days?
  • Yeh, Moyes IMO not doing himself any favours....
  • Bazshuayi said:

As previously said, and similar to OldCastle above, I've lived through many seasons of watching us not get good results but have put up with it because the entertainment factor has been there. I dont expect it all the time nor do I expect us to win all the time by any stretch. A certain level of performance and being attractive to watch is something I certainly desire. We do have quite a few very good players....

We have the best squad we've had for years. Decades, probably. We should be playing much better than we are, and the fact we aren't is largely down to the manager, IMO.

The problem, as I see it, is how the players are being set up and what they're being told to do. Moyes is a conservative, pragmatic manager and his safety-first strategy doesn't encourage brave, exciting football. Fine, if it yields results, but it's not doing that at the moment, so we drop points whilst being passive and dull to watch.
  • edited November 2022

The problem, as I see it, is how the players are being set up and what they're being told to do. Moyes is a conservative, pragmatic manager and his safety-first strategy doesn't encourage brave, exciting football. Fine, if it yields results, but it's not doing that at the moment, so we drop points whilst being passive and dull to watch.

This is it in a nutshell; when we were perceived to be useless and we were effective on the break, we did well under Moyes. With success we've had under him we're no longer perceived as being quite so bad, so we're generally given less space to attack into, and that counter attack isn't as effective this season in the fewer chances we've had.

All in all, Moyes needs to earn his dosh and work things out.
  • An unintended consequence of how Moyes has us playing is the negative effect it can have on the mindset of the expensive players he's brought in. You can imagine them thinking "what am I doing here" which can then result in less than 100% performances.
  • BBC saying that other than our goal, their 'keeper only had one shot to save. Is that right? Two shots on target at home to Palace?
  • I can't really remember what the other shot he had to save was.
  • I beg the question are Newcastle that much better than us player v player because look where they are?
  • I can't really remember what the other shot he had to save was.

From Kehrer, according to the BBC write up.

So we were that bad in front of goal again?
  • Today was worse than other games, we never looked like scoring today
  • I beg the question are Newcastle that much better than us player v player because look where they are?

There's no denying that the major factor is Eddie Howe replacing Steve Bruce.
  • Benrahma's goal came from nowhere. Until then was probably the worst we'd been this season. It did get a bit better after the goal but still not great.

There was a point in the second half where Bowen took on his man right to the byline and got inside. I realised I'd forgotten he could do that.
  • We only looked half decent after the subs of Lanzini & Downes. Other than that we were awful, & even after those subs it’s not saying anything special.
  • Lukerz said:

We only looked half decent after the subs of Lanzini & Downes. Other than that we were awful, & even after those subs it’s not saying anything special.

I think it was ok between Benrahma's goal and theirs but we started slowly again in the second half and Downes improved massively on Soucek.
  • edited November 2022
    Someone start a new thread and get this one closed. I can't bear looking at it.
  • I think we have the best team on paper that we have had for a while, but we are not performing, why is that?

Personally, I think we still have not solved the striker problem in as much as Scamacca looks very good at times but is not getting fed enough, so the question of whether we have made another Haller issue remains, good player bad set up to get the best from him?

I think Antonio has been poor for a while now and was terrible today, made a mess up of the attempt in which he was denied a penalty as should have passed sooner anyhow, and chipping the ball into the keepers' arms was the reason we lost the point. Whilst Bowen has at times masked our striker issues but is not firing to the degree he did last season; you can see the player is still there but it's just not happening.

Regard Moyes I would not even consider getting rid unless we got a phone call with an offer we couldn't refuse. I think he will be better than most who may apply mid-season at present, and it could easily end up like Uncle Avram. I would trust Moyes to avoid a relegation fight or at least prevail within one. i also think we want to be a club that offers a chance for stability, and he has produced results we haven't had for a long while regard Europe. In my view appraise at the end of the season.

My season prediction remains as it was a few weeks back in that he will get enough points on the board to avoid a relegation scrap and we will have a real chance in the conference league.
  • edited November 2022
    Antonio v Scammaca
    Both had 0 shots. Both had a 50% pass accuracy.
    Antonio had 18 touches to Scams 16.
    Won 1 aerial duel to Scamacca 0.

Afew other stats.
    Most aerial duels won - Cresswell (4)
    Best passing accuracy - Downes 100%
    Other players with pass accuracy over 80%- Rice, Bowen, Benrahma Lanzini. (Usually I don't look at defenders cos a lot of time they are passing back to gk or between each other.)

Bowen put in the most crosses 6

Most key passes anybody made was 1. Made by Cresswell Rice Bowen Paqueta

Other 'highests'...
    Interceptions 4 Soucek.
    Tackles 5 Paqueta.

Quite interesting. Not sure what it tells us.

• MrsG, It tells me you have too much time on your hands & you should be looking at how to furnish your new house. 😃
  • OCS, I know we’ve had our little spats in the past but how you can be so critical of the manager and the performance/players when , as you readily admit, you didn’t even see the game?!
    Honestly mate, it’s beyond funny.
  • I didn't see the game but I'd bet my car that its the same performance we've seen all year and that's what a few of us are unhappy about.
  • Can’t agree Preston, if I’d not seen the game I wouldn’t rely on other’s comments to inform me enough to make any comment myself.
  • edited November 2022
    Slacker said:

OCS, I know we’ve had our little spats in the past but how you can be so critical of the manager and the performance/players when , as you readily admit, you didn’t even see the game?!
    Honestly mate, it’s beyond funny.

Because, as I said, it's not about this game. We've been generally poor for the entire calendar year. And I didn't need to see the game to know how bad we played; I read the comments on here, I read the comments on social media, I read the match reports, I saw the stats. Even you said we were awful, which tells me all I need to know about the performance.

There are plenty on here whose opinions I respect that have seen things as I have over the years; if they're saying it was bad, I trust that it was bad.
  • See my above reply to Preston.
  • edited November 2022
    @Slacker, Honestly mate, it’s beyond funny, trouble is it isn't. We have the best squad we have had for years. I admit Aguerd & Cornet have hardly played & will improve the team. If someone can guarantee we will win the European Conference League and only finish in the top ten as a sacrifice for not getting higher as we will have concentrated on Europe, then ok. Will that happen with David Moyes?
  • Slacker said:

See my above reply to Preston.

Again, my criticism of the manager isn't based on today; it's based on the last 11 months. At no point on this thread have I criticised todays performance because I didn't see it.

That said, even without seeing the game, the result is still bad. This is a Palace team that hadn't won away from home all season. We conceded 58% possession and had 5 shots to their 15. It's pretty evident from that alone that we were second best to a distinctively average team.
  • I didn't need to see the game to know how we played, we've been garbage to watch all year, hence why I don't to watch us at the moment.
  • “ I didn’t need to see the game to know how badly we played “

Righto.
  • Slacker, what is your opinion on how we played and where the problems lie?
  • I said it before, it was awful. The problem was that the players didn’t play very well.

And I base that on what I saw when I watched the match.
  • Ok, so if you hadn't watched the game but you saw the score, you wouldn't accept the score because you didn't watch the game?

Everyone on here who saw the game have said we played garbage, are you calling them all liars?
    Why are you making an argument of this?