Home to yucky old Zaha FC

Comments

• Preston, I really don’t understand what you mean.
  • I’m really really not.
    To try and answer your question,I’m not calling anyone a liar am I? I agreed that we played rubbish and deserved to get beat.

The first bit I really don’t get, if we got beat and I hadn’t seen the game, would I not accept the score? I’m not Donald Trump, of course I would.
  • We had a discussion a couple of weeks ago regarding results vs performance, I never feel down about a loss if I feel we played well and finish on the front foot but that was certainly not the case today

Normally, losing the game in the 93rd minute is absolutely gutting but strangely, that was not my reaction today, I would have obviously taken the point gladly but nonetheless felt, like in a couple of recent games, that the result is papering over the cracks that appear self evident so when Antonio did his thing and they went straight up the other end and scored, I almost had no reaction at all.

That told me all i needed to know - confirmation that IMO, we deserved nothing from this game.

We have a strong squad but DM is not currently getting the best out of them, Slacker asks if it is the managers fault that they look like they have never played together, and I am afraid to say that I think it is.

It is not the managers fault when individual mistakes are made on the pitch, a wayward pass or miss timed tackle, but when the team collectively appear clueless and lacking in desire, clearly there needs to be an improvement in communication as to what is desired tactically.

For me, I do not think that Moyes will be replaced before the World Cup, but he will not have long afterwards, if the performances do not show improvement, he surely will be shown the door.
  • That’s where I disagree as you have to be able to accept a poor season without pulling the trigger. It’s not sustainable to build a club by sacking a manager every time he has a poor season. We were never going to continue at the trajectory we did the last two years. There was always going to be a come down period. We’ve achieved survival in a season we looked abject, finished 6th & finished 7th, with Two last 16 qualifications in Europe. You don’t sustain that every year & we have had a slow start, but you don’t sack the manager. If we end up finishing 13th this season, you don’t sack the manager. You build & go again.
  • I hear you and do not totally disagree, what I am struggling with however is that I do not see a 13th place finish for us if we continue with performances like todays.

I just watched Liverpool VS spurs and despite both sides giving the ball away cheaply, the pace, passion and vision on display was worlds away from what we have displayed in recent weeks.

NF aside, I have not seen many teams that look more vulnerable, uncomfortable in possession, pedestrian and bereft of ideas than we do right now.
  • @Lukerz, A lot of supporters won't see it that way due to the amount of money having been spent & the better players we have signed. One of whom is being converted into Haller mk2!
  • Lukerz said:

That’s where I disagree as you have to be able to accept a poor season without pulling the trigger. It’s not sustainable to build a club by sacking a manager every time he has a poor season. We were never going to continue at the trajectory we did the last two years. There was always going to be a come down period. We’ve achieved survival in a season we looked abject, finished 6th & finished 7th, with Two last 16 qualifications in Europe. You don’t sustain that every year & we have had a slow start, but you don’t sack the manager. If we end up finishing 13th this season, you don’t sack the manager. You build & go again.

I'm with Chicago. I get the sentiment, but it's a big 'if' that we end up 13th. But even if we did, the regression in our football hasn't been limited to this season; we've been going backwards the whole of 2022.

I think most of us were expecting a transition season with the number of new players we had to bring in in the summer (again, something some of use lay at Moyes' door), but as has been said before, it's not just about results; the performances started to drop off last season, and have not picked up. It's that trend that's more worrying to me because it suggests to me that it's more than a blip.

A genuine question Lukerz, and I'm not trolling here, at what point would you pull the trigger? With an in-form Leicester and a flying Arsenal up next we could quite easily be in the relegation zone by the new year; is that the right time? Or would you give Moyes the whole season even if it meant relegation?

I know sacking a manager brings an inherent risk, but keeping Moyes in this current form also represents a risk, IMO.
  • I am beginning to see Moyes a bit like big Sam. very good at getting the best out of limited resources but i am not sure he has the capability to compete at the next level. i would now question his playing style, lack of tacctical ability and use of talented players. he has done a great job for us but i wonder if he is going to take us any further. The success in europe so far has been against much weaker teams than those we meet in the league. I would like to see him play our strongest team on Wednesday and get the focus on playing together; possibly trying our two front men together. would like to see Moyes do well but at this rate i cant see him lasting.
  • I personally don't mind having a poor season - as Lukerz says, it's sort of expected from time to time with a club like ours. My issues are that:

[a] For the entirety of this calendar year, I have failed to determine what our game plan is. It used to be very clear that we were a counter attacking side - low block, quick break - and were a set piece threat. In 2022, we don't seem to know what we're doing. We have seemingly bought players that are less suited to that style of play, but we don't seem capable of playing to their strengths.

[b] I fund us utterly boring to watch. It's not exciting or interesting. I don't watch us expecting us to win every week, but I do expect to see some good football. I'm sick of watching the same game every week. Sure, sometimes we win and that fleetingly makes me feel good, but I just want to watch us play and enjoy it.

and [c] The manager seems completely unwilling to try something new. We alternate between a laboured 4-2-3-1, and a laboured 3-4-2-1. And when it doesn't work, we do the same again. According to Transfermarkt, Brighton played 10 different formations last season. They played. They even played 4-4-2 a few times. I look at that tactical flexibility and I just don't understand why we can't try something different.
  • I feel like that. His formations and tactics are so predictable. It must be so easy for the opposition to prepare for. And every sub is roughly the same like for like player.
  • Agree on all points alderz.

Re [a] - Moyes spent so long looking for a suitable alternative to Antonio, and finally settled on a player that is nothing like Antonio. Fine, if you then adapt to the new striker's abilities, but we haven't; as with Haller, we seem to be expecting Scamacca to adapt his game to play like Antonio, and when he doesn't he gets hooked at half time.

Re [b] - It's just not fun, is it. Watching West Ham has become a chore. I've watched a lot of Championship football again this season and have seen a lot of teams that play a much more exciting brand of football than us, with significantly less talented players.

Re [c] - I believe we now have the squad to be more flexible, but we're still seeing the same formations and the same line-ups. That breeds predictability and I think that's one of our biggest problems; teams worked out how to stop our counter, managers know exactly what Bowen's going to do when he gets the ball now, manager's know to press Soucek because he's not very good with the ball at his feet which leads to turnovers. When something's not working, it's common sense to try to change it. We're not doing that; we're just trying the same thing each game with the apparent hope that it will eventually work.
  • OCS and alderz, you make sure you've watched every game before making statements like that. Hahaha
  • @alderz, We have seemingly bought players that are less suited to that style of play, but we don't seem capable of playing to their strengths.

I have thought that for sometime now. I disagree with all those who can't see that Haller, Anderson & Vlasic are good players who have proved can play at a decent standard. All 3 have been let go under the instructions of David Moyes & have rediscovered their form at their new clubs. Scamacca appears to be on the same path as Haller which is troubling.
  • We don't have the engine in the front sticks. Its why I dislike the tall stereotype striker, Scamacca isnt a guy who is going to hard press from the front and if he isn't doing that neither is Bowen or Benrahma so you concede possession way too much.

Moyes wanted to transition us to a possession based team but this simply has not happened. That possession based team starts at the front, Guardiola and Klopp both have said this before, the high press starts with Firmino working the back 4 and Mane and Salah pushed right up when it was bread and butter for Liverpool week in week out. We don't do this what so ever.

We are positioned as a counter attacking team attempting possession based football. We have a central midfield pair where we have transitioned Rice into a Box to Box and sacked off Soucek into a bit part player who no longer does anything that made him so good in his first season with us marauding into the box for a header at the back post.
    We have 3/4 full backs who cant cross a ball and 2 wide midfielders who consistently cut inside with no invention to run the opposition full backs to open up the field of play.

It feels very much like the team is playing 2 styles of football at the same time. Setting up a possession based team that plays on the backfoot that attempts counters with no pace on front end because the starting positions of the 3 attackers up front are 15 yards behind where you need them to be.
  • edited November 2022
    The thing I don't understand about Scamacca is we had him playing well for 3/4 games, then changed the formation for that weird Downes experiment and completely lost momentum. Yesterday should've suited him more but we were so out of the game that he was still ineffective and added nothing. Antonio was more of a nuisance but produced nothing out of it.

I think a lot of our problem now is mentality and that's what Moyes needs to sort. I know that last season we didn't have space to counter attack against teams but against Palace yesterday there was that opportunity. They were often very high and putting pressure on us. But when we do win the ball back there's very little fluidity and willingness to burst forward. We allow teams to get back behind the ball. Bowen very rarely tries to go past a player on the outside anymore. We could've counter attacked yesterday if we were faster with the ball.

• Could part of the problem be the upcoming WC in that players don't want to risk and injuries? Some teams can cope with that but others can't.
    I think we will be better in 2023,one Noble is back.
  • How many of our players are going to the WC though? Rice but he's playing better than most. I think Zouma makes the France squad sometimes but he's also playing well. Coufal, Soucek and Scamacca aren't going. Bowen doesn't deserve to go with his current performances, so he shouldn't be holding back.

Maybe you're right about Noble and I wish he was coming back earlier. I'm not sure Rice is really a leader yet. He shows moments but I really dislike his body language sometimes, there's a lot of waving his arms and shrugging his shoulders in frustration. Yes, he's the best player and has the right to some of that, but he needs to balance it with more leadership and encouragement on the pitch.
  • As I said previously in this thread, there was nothing wrong with the line up/ formation before kick off was there?
    We were just awful all over the pitch, and yes that is down to the manager and coaches to sort out.A few home truths and a couple of rockets in sensitive areas are needed at Rush Green today.
  • Maybe, just maybe, yesterday was the kick up the backside that was needed. We’ve had some narrow defeats such as Liverpool, Man U where we came on strong at the end. Some defeats where luck deserted us such as Forest and Chelsea. We also had some wins where fortune was on our side. All of this seemed to make the staff and players believe they were playing better than they actually were and that things were improving.
    Hopefully today they will be watching yesterday’s game back and will be as miserable as we all were (are) at what we saw.
  • I hope so, Thorn. I think that's a good summary of the season so far.
  • Slacker said:

As I said previously in this thread, there was nothing wrong with the line up/ formation before kick off was there?
    We were just awful all over the pitch, and yes that is down to the manager and coaches to sort out.A few home truths and a couple of rockets in sensitive areas are needed at Rush Green today.

I don't think the formation or line up were wrong - I was and am quite happy with both. But can you see what style of play we're going for when you watch us? Because I can't. And it might be that it's clear and I'm just missing it, but if that's the case I really want someone to tell me what we're trying to do!
  • Can’t help you there Alderz , but it seems there are those who know how to set up team and where the manager is getting it wrong.
    Perhaps one of them could help.🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Slacker said:

Can’t help you there Alderz , but it seems there are those who know how to set up team and where the manager is getting it wrong.
    Perhaps one of them could help.🤷🏻‍♂️

Does that not concern you? That you can't determine what our style of play or game plan is after 22 games this season? I'm not asking you or anyone else to tell me what it should be, I just want to know what the manager is trying to get them to do.
  • I think Moyes sets up the team first and foremost to not concede, and hopes that the opposition makes a mistake whereupon we make a fast breakaway and score, much like we did with Benni's goal yesterday.
    The trouble is that style of play can be very unattractive for the fans.
    By adopting the ultra defensive set up it's affecting the fluidity needed to transition to attack, and it's also been worked out by most of the teams in the PL who know that we tend to wilt under the high press.
    It was really good to see the B team on Thursday show what can be achieved with a different mindset, and I can't understand why Moyes doesn't adopt it with the first team.
    It's not as if we're doing well with the defensive approach is it, so what is there to lose apart from goal difference taking a hit if it goes wrong.
  • alderz said:

Does that not concern you? That you can't determine what our style of play or game plan is after 22 games this season? I'm not asking you or anyone else to tell me what it should be, I just want to know what the manager is trying to get them to do.

Tbh, I couldn't determine a game plan if ai were told what it is. I don't have an eye for this stuff. So no, it doesn't bother me because I can't talk tactics anyway. If we all could then I guess the level of qualified coaching would be a lot higher

• It was really good to see the B team on Thursday show what can be achieved with a different mindset, and I can't understand why Moyes doesn't adopt it with the first team.

Two things to bear in mind about Thursday's win. Firstly, it was against significantly weaker opposition. Secondly, there was absolutely nothing to lose if we lost the match.

Whilst I'm not by any means saying Moyes doesn't need to look long and hard about how he's setting us up, it's not quite as simple in the PL as it was on Thursday.
  • Buffy, that's what I acknowledged in my final sentence.
  • edited November 2022
    Downes needs a run over Soucek (or Lanzini). We need to be better at building play so we need a deeper option to get on the ball & keep it. Not only does Soucek struggle on the ball but he’s been less influential in attacking zones/set plays & his heading in defence in also a bit erratic. His tackling seems to be the only thing he’s done well this season. If we can get Aguerd in next to Zouma to give us a line of pass from defence to midfield, that would also be good & allow us to keep Paqueta in the attacking 1/3, linking midfield & attack. Bowen needs to step up & so does Rice. Whilst Rice has been good this season, I’m yet to see him grab a game by the neck & drive us on to victory.
  • As Kool and the gang said. "Get Downes on it, get Downes on it"
  • So good, you are excused the fine. #notinrattle