Couldn't think - from Sept 2022

Comments

• Merry Christmas
  • In positive news, good to see Ogbonna getting some sustained minutes on the pitch. We need him back involved in the PL side.
  • We all know Bowen can play up front. I’m not convinced by Scamacca yet anyway (not that it means I am happy he’s injured) & Antonio has been erratic to say the least when he has got minutes this season.
  • 1-0 Fulham, nearly HT
  • Lukerz said:

In positive news, good to see Ogbonna getting some sustained minutes on the pitch. We need him back involved in the PL side.

Tbh, I've not seen anything so far this season from him that makes me think he can still hack it at PL level, and certainly nothing like the level he was playing at only last season before he was injured; I just don't think he'll ever be close to that player again 😭😭😭
  • I didn’t see the game but I thought we played well. Antonio poor again.😉
  • Bilic has got Watford up to 3rd in the championship
  • Weren't they 7th when he took over? 🤔
  • IronHerb said:

Weren't they 7th when he took over? 🤔

So that then means he’s improving them so far…
    Think that’s about it
  • Well they were 4 points off the top as opposed to currently 10. They had also beaten Burnley and Sheff Utd before Bilic took over.
  • Bilic took over 26th September, Watford were 10th and 9pts off the top

P10 W3 D5 L2 GF11 GA11 Pt 14

They beat Sheff Utd 1-0 at home on the opening day and Burnley 1-0 at home two weeks later

Under Bilic they are P13 W7 D2 L4 GF19 GA11 Pt 23

Currently 4th, 10pts off Burnley and 4pts behind Sheff Utd
  • An interesting problem will be deciding on the batting line-up if Bairstow finds any early season form back in the English summer. He was simply outstanding last summer, yet no-one other than Pope wants to play at 3 (and he's done better there than most players who've been tried there recently), Root plays at 4, Stokes is at 5 or 6 to allow Foakes at 7 and 4 bowlers, which means there's only room for one of Bairstow and Brook who seems an exceptional talent. I like having a proper keeper, but I wonder if Foakes might be sacrificed next summer with Bairstow having the gloves (certainly wouldn't be Pope).

Atherton just mentioned this possible dilemma and also suggested the solution might involve Bairstow keeping wicket.
  • edited December 2022
    Another century for Brook, his third in this series to go with a 50 (was actually 87ish) in just 5 innings so far. He's already broken Gower's record for the most runs by an Englishman in a Test series in Pakistan.

Much needed though as England try to recover from 145-5 when Stokes was run out by a mile after a dreadful mix-up with Brook himself.
  • On the wicket-keeping discussion I do feel for Foakes here. Is he going to have the same problem as James Foster and Bob Taylor, best wicketkeepers of their generation, but not (in Foster and Foakes case) recognised for the runs they can score.

Foakes is a better (more conventional) bat than Foster was, and certainly worthy of his place. In Test cricket when that chance comes to the keeper, you want full confidence it will be taken. With due respect to Ollie Pope I don't believe he would have executed the Babar run out, but equally, few others would have taken the catch he took at short leg.
  • I think Bairstow’s batting form was possibly down to his not having to keep wicket. Generally a wicket keeper who can bat will provide more in the way of net runs than a batter who can keep wicket.
    Bairstow could open instead of Duckett.
  • It was Stokes who said he wanted Foakes as keeper as he’s currently the world’s best and he wanted Pope because of his fielding in addition to his batting. They were, from what I read, conditions of his taking the job so I would be surprised if he went back to Bairstow or Butler keeping wicket.
  • edited December 2022

I think Bairstow’s batting form was possibly down to his not having to keep wicket. Generally a wicket keeper who can bat will provide more in the way of net runs than a batter who can keep wicket.
    Bairstow could open instead of Duckett.

It's a valid point, although I'm not sure he would have got the same number of runs last summer if he was opening either.

It is a tough call for sure, and Foakes isn't exactly a mug with the bat. However, the Australian attack is such that I'm sure consideration will be given to playing 7 frontline batsmen. Also a bit harsh dropping Duckett bearing in mind the struggles we've had trying to find reliable openers and he's done reasonably well so far (not that it wouldn't be harsh dropping Foakes either).

2 quick wickets and suddenly we're 265-7.

Btw, Australia have just beaten South Africa inside 2 days, although it sounds like a very bowler friendly pitch given that Australia themselves only made 218 and 35-4.
  • And 15 of those 35-4 were wides (3 x 5).
  • First innings lead of 50, would dfeinitely have taken that at 145-5. Would be nice to nick a wicket or two before the close.
  • Wickets definitely falling in clusters today, 3 in 2 Leach overs in the morning session, and now 3 in 4 Rehan overs just before the tea interval leaving Pakistan on 177-6, a lead of just 127. Bearing in mind they were 164-3 and threatening a decent score, it's a good come-back by England. Wouldn't want to chase more than 250, preferably not more than 200, so still a bit of work to do.
  • Rehan Ahmed becomes the youngest man to take 5 wickets in an innings on his Test debut, taking 5-48.

Pakistan all out for 216, setting England 167 for the win.
  • Buffey were you a sport journalist in a previous life?
  • Slacker said:

Buffey were you a sport journalist in a previous life?

Lol no, although, with hindsight, something that I'm sure I woulda enjoyed.

England starting their innings as if it's a T20, 58-0 off the first 6 overs.
  • He he, I think maybe your commentaries are better suited to radio rather than telly.😉
  • Slacker said:

He he, I think maybe your commentaries are better suited to radio rather than telly.😉

I've got the face for radio, and the voice for print 😂🤣😂
  • Stokes's bat just went further than the ball 😂🤣😂
  • England close on 112-2, needing a further 55 for the win and to become the first away team to win a Test series in Pakistan 3-0.
  • England manage to knock off the required runs inside 40 minutes this morning without any further loss of wickets to round off a 3-0 series win. 👏👏👏
This discussion has been closed.