"That's what I do; I win". But can David Moyes ever really win with West ham fans?

Comments

• My multi tasking skills can handle both onslaughts. They could even be the same person for all I know.
  • edited November 2022
    I like having go at Southgate more then moyes =)
  • There's a section of that article that says "when did we ever treat our players like that?".

When I was 8 years old, at my first ever West Ham match, the fans around me booed Iain Dowie's name before the game started. I've seen our fans boo Freddie Piquionne off the pitch, I've seen them cheer Carlton Cole being substituted off.

I personally hate it, and think it's never justified, but for an article to say "when did we ever treat our players like that?" is pretty rich, because it is far from the first time it's happened.

I also think it's pretty weird to defend one player in Soucek by taking aim at Benrahma. The writer seems to have forgotten that Benrahma may be someone the fans want to see play at the moment, but for most of the past two years people have been very frustrated by his lack of end product.
  • I take your point Alderz regarding booing of players, it has happened in the past , it was awful then and it’s awful now. I think the difference is now it’s very much driven by social media, especially by those who don’t go to games and can’t wait to tear into a player for a misplaced pass. I’ve been to a lot of away games since moving up north and hand on heart I can say I’ve never heard anywhere near the vitriol towards the manager or players ( apart from Liverpool where we were battered 4-0 under Curbishley and they were booed off the pitch) that’s around now.
    I think the writer has got it right.
  • Exactly what I thought when reading that. He's defending one player and them criticising another. For the record I think boing any player that is your own is bizarre behaviour.
  • I think he was making a point about Benrhama in contrast to Soucek. Surely you can criticise a player’s performance and at the same time defend another’s treatment?
  • edited November 2022
    But how does he know why he's shaking his head. And even if he is shaking his head at the thought of being subbed off so what. He is a human and maybe he cares. I think to say he has no right to do that is a bit drastic. Some might say the treatment of Benrahma compared to Soucek from the manager is unfair but no one knows for sure.
  • edited November 2022
    I didn't like when people cheered him going off but I think some of the stuff about social media is wrong. In my opinion, our fans aren't as good as we think they are. They're not as good as the reputation they earned, which I've almost never actually witnessed. (Don't doubt it was an earned reputation, I'm just not old enough to have experienced it, unfortunately). I don't think it's just about social media because I think it started before that as well and I don't know if people booing in the stadium are the same as those calling Moyes out on the internet.

There's very little support in the crowd when things aren't going well, no chants to rouse them and very quick to get on players backs. I sit right next to the away end and even there its sometimes so hard to get any kind of chant going. He talks about Benrahma but he's been one of the players who has suffered that the most whenever he's made a mistake (or just perceived to, even if it's not his fault). It's only now that people are backing him. Antonio often gets it even worse.

I'm not really sure our fans are often much of an asset to the team these days. During the Sevilla game is the only time I really remember it.
  • edited November 2022
    Btw I do agree with you Slaker. The treatment of Soucek from our fans doing that is unacceptable imo
  • Outcast, I’ve thought for a long time that away fans are ( in general) are a different animal.
  • Year ago, & I am talking years ago, I went and saw us @ Oxford and a group of our "supporters" spent the whole game hurling abuse at Alan Dickens so when he misplaced a pass the volume of criticism went up so the rest the away end just started chanting his name to get his spirits back up again.
  • Former Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel is the favourite to replace Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone if the Spanish club decide to part ways with their Argentine. (Fichajes)
  • Did you mean to post on the sack race thread?
  • Yeah I suppose
    It feels like there are 3 active threads about Moyes future at the mo
    And I posted this as some have mentioned Tommy T as the next gaffer
  • Ravel49 said:

Yeah I suppose

Tommy T and Timmy Gilet. Dream partnership.

• BBC Sport
  • Question. When does a blip become a trend?
  • edited November 2022

Question. When does a blip become a trend?

Never, blip is 4 letters, trend is 5 =)
  • I'm pretty certain Moyes had seasons at Everton where in one he'd be up the top half and the next one they'd be down near the bottom. I think the problem is we've spent bundles improving the squad but we're near the bottom.
  • edited November 2022
    Last Column is league placement

• I can live with us having a rough season, and I don’t think that automatically means a manager should be sacked. What bothers me is that I don’t enjoy watching us, and one of the things I have always taken great pleasure from is now an unpleasant experience.
  • Ravel49 said:

Yeah I suppose

:+1:

Hadn't read of the TT link.
  • edited November 2022
    Not linked
    But some have said would like
    But as I said yest, 🥧 in the 🌌 for me 👍🏻
  • Ravel49 said:

Not linked
    But some have said would like
    But as I said yest, 🥧 in the 🌌 for me 👍🏻

Pudding in the stars? What's that all about? =)
  • Just saying the team is crumbling..
  • alderz said:

I can live with us having a rough season, and I don’t think that automatically means a manager should be sacked. What bothers me is that I don’t enjoy watching us, and one of the things I have always taken great pleasure from is now an unpleasant experience.

Mid table with a an ECL trophy to boot would be brilliant.

The problem for me is I don't see what Moyes plan is for this team, a 3 at the back is tragic, and if he goes 4 at the back he defaults to a midfield that isn't working.

I'd still drop Soucek for Downes for more control on the ball, our possession is woeful. Or i would bring in Fornals and shift to a Diamond formation and play Bowen up top with Scamacca or drop him for Antonio otherwise drop Scamacca and play someone who can press or has pace for the counter.

He needs to stop scapegoating Benrahma, the amount of comments he makes about how ineffective he is, needs to see more etc. Its actually irritating when there are usually several other players playing distinctly way below average and are way more ineffective than Benrahma. At least he tries to make something happen going forward with the ball.

The biggest problem of them all is that it looks like he has wasted a good portion of the 150m that hasn't improved us. None of the players we have signed have lived up to the price tag and it seems they only have a 1 in every 10 games performance in them. I guess the scout we got from Man City will not be at the club much longer.

Scamacca looks like Haller Mk2
    Paqueta looks distinctly average
    Kehrer looked fine at CB, looked fine at RB but doesn't look a level above what we actually needed, looks like he will end up a utility player that will do a job but nothing beyond that.
    Cornet (not enough time to judge due to injuries)
    Downes (hasn't really been given a regular run of games and opportunity)
    Aguerd (see Cornet)
  • How can a Brazilian number 10 be average, Italy’s centreforward poor, Germany’s right back only a utility player but you want to see more of ex championship players.
    Not sure what type of players you want. We can’t get the likes of Haaland, Mbappe etc.
  • edited November 2022
    ask me that question again in 2 years where if all 3 are still at this club i very much doubt any of them will be in any of the first 11s of their national team because none of them are playing to currently warrant a call up beyond their own past reputations getting them there currently.
  • Scamacca is 23 and has been in the Italian team since 2021, Pacqueta has been a regular for Brazil since 2018 and is still only 25. Kehrer similar to Pacqueta.
This discussion has been closed.