"That's what I do; I win". But can David Moyes ever really win with West ham fans?

Comments

• For me Rodger’s is a far superior manager to Moyes and more in touch with the modern game imo
  • I must admit I haven’t read every post on this thread, but my view on Moyes and the current situation is that he may be becoming a victim of his own success.
    We all know what he’s done for our our club over the past three years but it’s a symptom of how a lot of football fans are now that many are calling him out and some even wanting him to go. Social media is fuelling most of it of course, where if you lose a game you’re a muppet and if you win a game you’re the greatest coach in the world. Neither are correct obviously but the knee- jerk reaction is something we see every week. Even on here ( which is nowhere near as bad as elsewhere btw) the criticism starts to kick in after about twenty minutes of a game and often leaves those posters a bit red- faced when we end up winning a game and player X score two goals or something after being slated early in the game.
    A game is over 90 minutes and a season is 40-50 games.
    Look it may all down the toilet this year, maybe it won’t, but the shouting and gnashing of teeth at this stage of the season? Nah, not for me.
  • Yep, it’s already started with Klopp. Already got fans moaning about him. When you set ridiculously high standards, the only way is down. Us achieving top 6 & top 7 finishes with a European semi final, the only way from there is down.
  • I wouldn't regard Rodgers as an improvement on Moyes

As for his success with Celtic he took over a team that had won five titles in a row and Rangers had only just returned to the SPL after four year absence

It would have been more surprising if he hadn't won trophies with Celtic
  • Personally, if you’d put Moyes in charge of Celtic when Brendan was, I’m sure he’d come out with similar stats/trophies.
  • Let’s be honest Scottish football is a two horse race, withe the rest of them very poor quality.
    Winning leagues and cups is a doddle if you’re a manager of Celtic or Rangers.
  • IF you judge it purely on his time @ Leicester City hasn't Rodgers had two Fifth place finishes and an FA Cup win? That's not too shabby.
  • If Klopp became West Ham manager, I'd seriously consider becoming a supporter of the club ;)
  • edited August 2022

IF you judge it purely on his time @ Leicester City hasn't Rodgers had two Fifth place finishes and an FA Cup win? That's not too shabby.

It’s not but then Moyes has had a 6th & 7th placed finish & a European semi-final. He also inherited a bottom five side whereas Rogers inherited a mid-table side that had not long won the PL. I don’t think there’s much between them.
  • One of those seasons (last) was basically played with the majority of the squad injured especially in defence
  • Lukerz said:

IF you judge it purely on his time @ Leicester City hasn't Rodgers had two Fifth place finishes and an FA Cup win? That's not too shabby.

It’s not but then Moyes has had a 6th & 7th placed finish & a European semi-final. He also inherited a bottom five side whereas Rogers inherited a mid-table side that had not long won the PL. I don’t think there’s much between them.
    There's not a great deal between them and the numbers back that up (excluding Rodgers' success at Celtic).

But it seems like people think Rodgers would be a nightmare appointment at West Ham, whereas I wouldn't be against it at all (again, I'm not advocating we sack Moyes and get Rodgers).
  • Lukerz, Didn’t Leicester get to the Semi Final of the ECL last season? A competition we need to take really seriously to try to get back into Europe again, bar a massive improvement in the league?
  • If honest, I'd like Potter. Like his style. We also might have a chance of beating Brighton if he was managing us
  • Regarding the manager, this time last year Arsenal fans were screaming for Arteta’s head.
    He was “ out of his depth “, “ the club’s too big for him” “ Clueless “ were some of the milder comments at the time.
    Fast forward one year and “He’s better than Pep”. If they lose their next three games they’ll be back to where they started.It’s not just Arsenal,Liverpool or WHU it’s every club. Just watch what’ll happen at Chelsea if they lose their next game after getting beat at the w/e.
    Fickle doesn’t quite cover it does it?
  • Bazshuayi said:

If Klopp became West Ham manager, I'd seriously consider becoming a supporter of the club ;)

Ooh - provocative. =)
  • Lukerz, Didn’t Leicester get to the Semi Final of the ECL last season? A competition we need to take really seriously to try to get back into Europe again, bar a massive improvement in the league?

We're 5 points off a Europe spot with 35 games to go........😱
  • IronHerb said:

Lukerz, Didn’t Leicester get to the Semi Final of the ECL last season? A competition we need to take really seriously to try to get back into Europe again, bar a massive improvement in the league?

We're 5 points off a Europe spot with 35 games to go........😱
    Excellent spin
  • Kuching - this is no word of a lie, I had the same dream/nightmare.

Have we ever been seen in the same room together, Bubbles? Qanon knows, you know....
  • Bumping this given the recent discussions in the Palace thread.

I see that Moyes is getting grief for his comments about the fans' reaction to the Benrahma sub yesterday. Is this his 'Big Sam cupping his ear' moment?
  • Ironic that he digs out Benrahma for not offering much yet let's Soucek play week in week out offering nothing.....and then there is the fact Benrahma has been better than a massively underperforming Bowen this season yet Bowen is never called out by Moyes

Hes under big pressure at the moment, wouldnt surprise me if he turns it around but also wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't

Doubt he'll go before the world cup
  • edited November 2022
    Just saw those comments. What impact did Paqueta or Bowen have on the game?

We got slightly better because Soucek came off and Downes was way more active in winning the ball back and moving it. It wasn't because Lanzini came on.

When Benrahma's played badly the crowd hasn't hesitated in showing annoyance at him but yesterday the chanting for him after he was subbed was probably the loudest chant I heard during the game. His performances have changed a lot of minds but Moyes seems stuck.

I still think Moyes should stay and that we shouldn't be a club that quickly fires managers but I think the one trait that I really dislike about him is the way he sticks to favourites, which I think goes beyond simply giving them a chance. He kept starting Lingard even when his form dropped off and then spent ages pursuing him when we could've been focusing on other targets. And other players lose out.
  • Ravel49 said:
    None of them scream "brave new world" do they. But at least with Ralph we could join the record books as another team to lose 9-0
  • Blimey, just had a dip into Twitter. So much vitriol and ignorance on show. Call themselves West Ham fans?
    They make me sick.😡
  • There’s no truth in that article
  • But, Luke. It's on the internet.
  • Ravel49 said:
    Gavin Williamson is available, with a proud history of sackings to his name.
  • Yes Mrs G, he’ll do to opposition teams what he did to terrify the Russians. Tell them they should just shut up and go away.
  • Not long now and everyone can relax regarding Moyes and start having a pop at Southgate instead.🎉
    Can’t wait.
  • edited November 2022
    Slacker said:

Not long now and everyone can relax regarding Moyes and start having a pop at Southgate instead.🎉
    Can’t wait.

Best you put your seatbelt on and enjoy the ride 🥳🥳😜😜
This discussion has been closed.