Other league games 7 May - 12 May

Comments

• I have seen that Northampton have spoken to the EFL regarding discussing a rule change following their being pipped to automatic promotion by Bristol Rovers 7-0 victory over Scunthorpe.
    They admit nothing can be done this year but feel something should be done in the future. Apparently they were upset that Scunthorpe who had already been relegated fielded a team including 6 players who’d played less than 5 games previously and a 17 year old goalkeeper.
  • And some Spurs or City fans would laud their players and criticise Rice. Not sure why you appear to be criticising West Ham fans as being any different to other fanbases.
  • thorn, Where do Northampton expect the line to be drawn? Surely Scunthorpe can pick who they want & looking to their future in the National League blooding some youngsters may not be seen as a bad thing. I understand during the problems all the teams had due to Covid they played youngsters then. Quite a few teams appear to give a few of their youth players game time at the end of the season when they have nothing riding on a particular match.
  • edited May 2022
    IronHerb said:

And some Spurs or City fans would laud their players and criticise Rice. Not sure why you appear to be criticising West Ham fans as being any different to other fanbases.

I haven't said our fans are any different. And of course rival fans would do as you've stated. But that's my issue with it. If it was Kane calling the ref corrupt our fanbase would be all over it. But those same people are probably those saying how great Rice was for saying what he did. And no doubt the Spurs fans who are criticising Rice would be defending Kane.

Ultimately it's about the double standards, for me.
  • IMO Rice was out of order.
    Whether frustrated or not you can’t accuse a ref of being paid to make certain decisions.

While he was not in the ref’s face aggressively, his words perhaps are just as damming..
    All IMO of course and for sure I fully expected a ban coming his way.
  • OCS :+1:

I agree about the double standards, and I’m aware I may be falling foul of them. But I’m also not particularly vocal in hammering anyone. I just wouldn’t want someone who behaves like Raphinha regularly behaves to be someone I support.
  • I didn't like what rice did one bit and I didn't see Raphinha but looking back at one of the players who is worshipped by many right to this day - Paolo di Canio - he pushed over the ref ecause he'd been sent off. I read a lot about this kind of behaviour not being welcome but is it really? Sometimes you need/want a nutjob like this at the club to focus attention and spur the others on.
  • I didn't like what rice did one bit and I didn't see Raphinha but looking back at one of the players who is worshipped by many right to this day - Paolo di Canio - he pushed over the ref ecause he'd been sent off. I read a lot about this kind of behaviour not being welcome but is it really? Sometimes you need/want a nutjob like this at the club to focus attention and spur the others on.

I don’t think I would have wanted us to sign Paolo either (I was a bit young at the time). I’m not saying I wouldn’t get other it, and if we signed someone like Raphinha, I’m sure I would cheer him. I just don’t want to
  • For those of us old enough to remember him what are the views on Julian Dicks?
  • Fortune this is the rule Northampton referred to the EFL. Granted Scunthorpe had nothing to play for but Northampton and Rovers did. It’s already been commented on in a different thread that Liverpool could play a “weakened” team against Wolves on the last day. How would we feel if they only needed a point and Liverpool put out a team we’d never heard of.

6.5 Each Club shall play its full available strength in and during all Competition Matches, unless some satisfactory reason is given. The Management Committee may from time to time issue a policy as to what constitutes 'full available strength'. In the event of the explanation not being deemed satisfactory the Management Committee shall have power to impose such penalties as they shall think fit. The provisions governing disciplinary matters in relation to the Competition are contained in Rule 24.
  • thorn, I believe this has actually happened in a previous Premier League season where a team played a weakened line up in the last game of the season that had an adverse affect on another teams chances?
  • I vaguely remember that Fortune, I seem to recall Blackburn being involved.
  • edited May 2022
    thorn, Liverpool made nine changes & lost to Fulham which helped relegate Sheffield United. .

https://www.danielgeey.com/post/rotation-weakened-teams-and-the-premier-league-rules/
  • alderz said:

OCS :+1:

I agree about the double standards, and I’m aware I may be falling foul of them. But I’m also not particularly vocal in hammering anyone. I just wouldn’t want someone who behaves like Raphinha regularly behaves to be someone I support.

That's fair alderz. And to be honest, I haven't paid much attention to Raphinha's behaviour to know whether he's regularly acts like that or whether yesterday was just a rare show of aggression because of the situation Leeds find themselves in.

I think we're agreed though that we're probably better off looking elsewhere.
  • Fortune anything that helps relegate the Blades is fair game. 😀
  • Northampton had 46 games to score one more goal or concede one less.
  • IronHerb said:

Northampton had 46 games to score one more goal or concede one less.

They did. But Bristol Rovers played 45 games against what you would consider to be regular teams and one against some reserves, and Northampton played 46 against regular teams. It's not an entirely fair comparison.
  • thorn, Liverpool made nine changes & lost to Fulham which helped relegate Sheffield United. .

https://www.danielgeey.com/post/rotation-weakened-teams-and-the-premier-league-rules/

Did they march on Liverpool and sue them !! Maybe it’s only us they can sue successfully
  • edited May 2022
    Actually Northampton are talking Cobblers

Looking back over the last five matches the starting XI was much the same

Line up against Bristol Rovers away 7 May lost 7-0

Foster
    Matheson Delaney Young Lobbey
    Rowe Shrimpton
    Beestin Moore-Bittam Wilson
    Nuttal

Line up against Hartlepool home 30 Apr drew 1-1

Foster
    Matheson Delaney Young O'Malley
    Gallimore Shrimpton
    Beestin Cribb Wilson
    Nuttall

Line up against Bradford away 23 Apr lost 2-1

Watson
    Matheson Rowe Delaney Young
    Gallimore Feeney
    Pyke

Line up against Stevenage home 18 Apr drew

Watson
    Matheson Rowe Delaney Young
    Gallimore Feeney
    Nuttall

Line up against Leyton Orient away 15 Apr lost 3-0

Watson
    Sinclair Rowe Delaney Young
    Gallimore Grant
    Feeney Hackney Pyke
    Beestin

Scunthorpe top scorer this season was Ryan Loft with 6, he was on the bench at the weekend

Bristol Rovers' bench

A lot of the more experienced players have moved on
  • ASLEF, Reading some of the comments on one of the message boards for Division Two Northampton Town are getting very little sympathy as they appear to play in a very rough house style although that might be par for the course in that league? Their manager also moans a lot.
  • With my wife’s family being such staunch Sunderland supporters, we are closely following the play off process so we will certainly be keeping the date clear for the final and I have to admit to a certain bias.

Nonetheless it is impressive that there were 44,000 at the stadium of light to see the first leg against Sheffield Wednesday, I think there were 36,000 at Hillsbourgh to see the 2nd leg of which only 2,000 were Mackems.

And yes of course, her cousins John and Beth, were two of them

Ha’way the lads
  • thorn, Liverpool made nine changes & lost to Fulham which helped relegate Sheffield United. .

So it wasn’t Tevez after all.
  • edited May 2022
    That was 2007-08, Sheffield Utd were relegated 2006-07

Fulham stayed up on GD and Reading were relegated (Liverpool only beat Fulham 2-0)
  • With my wife’s family being such staunch Sunderland supporters, we are closely following the play off process so we will certainly be keeping the date clear for the final and I have to admit to a certain bias.

Nonetheless it is impressive that there were 44,000 at the stadium of light to see the first leg against Sheffield Wednesday, I think there were 36,000 at Hillsbourgh to see the 2nd leg of which only 2,000 were Mackems.

And yes of course, her cousins John and Beth, were two of them

Ha’way the lads

With you on this chicago, son in law is a Mackem. 👍
  • Fabinho having a shocker so the commentator says it must be mental or physical fatigue. No, he's just having a shocker.
  • IronHerb said:

Fabinho having a shocker so the commentator says it must be mental or physical fatigue. No, he's just having a shocker.

Well, he has just gone off.
  • IronHerb said:

Fabinho having a shocker so the commentator says it must be mental or physical fatigue. No, he's just having a shocker.

Liverpool players don't have shockers. It's written in football law somewhere.
  • Tumblweed... (with a left hamstring issue)
  • IronHerb said:

Liverpool players don't have shockers. It's written in football law somewhere.
    Liverpool GODS OCS, they are not merely players according to the media.

Pep was just spot on with his assessment of them always wanting the victims to win
  • There'll be a red card in this game