Other league games 7 May - 12 May

Comments

• You know Man Utd have had a bad season in the cups and Europe when 14 days before the end of the season they have one game left while Villa and Everton have 3
  • Bazshuayi said:

Wouldnt mind Pope and Tarkowski at Burnley. Rumours are that the likes of Raphinha, Bamford and Phillips have clauses allowing them to leave for cut price fees if relgated (would like that to be confirmed...)

I wouldn’t mind Pope and Tarkowski staying at Burnley as well!
  • Trouble we may have is Brighton will be desperate to finish above Palace. Somehow need that settled before we meet them.
  • I don't like shopping at relegated teams usually, but there are some really good players at risk of going down. I'd be really happy with a couple of these.

BURNLEY: James Tarkowski, Nick Pope, Dwight McNeil, Maxwell Cornet
    EVERTON: Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Ben Godfrey
    LEEDS: Raphinha, Kalvin Phillips
    WATFORD: Ismaila Sarr, Emmanuel Dennis
    NORWICH: *tumbleweed*
  • alderz said:

Jeremy Goss 👍
  • alderz, Buying even from relegated teams in the English market comes at a premium. The Leeds players may have lower than market value relegation release clauses in their contracts but if they have more clubs will be interested. If the stories are to be believed we are looking to France, Portugal & possibly Spain for some new players as they are deemed better value.
  • Paddy power posted a great quote, in 4 years time Man city and the barcodes could play each other in the CL final or the league one play off final, depending on the price of oil, lol
  • Paddy power posted a great quote, in 4 years time Man city and the barcodes could play each other in the CL final or the league one play off final, depending on the price of oil, lol

JP Morgan forecasting oil at $185 a barrel in the not too distant future, so I guess it's the CL final then.
  • IronHerb said:

Paddy power posted a great quote, in 4 years time Man city and the barcodes could play each other in the CL final or the league one play off final, depending on the price of oil, lol

JP Morgan forecasting oil at $185 a barrel in the not too distant future, so I guess it's the CL final then.
    sad but true
  • alderz said:

I don't like shopping at relegated teams usually, but there are some really good players at risk of going down. I'd be really happy with a couple of these.

I miss the tumbleweed emoji! Most of my humour could see that added at the end ;)
  • Outside of Godfrey, I'd be pleased with stealing any of those players (as plenty would be in for them... A Europa spot would help entice, no?)
  • Bazshuayi said:

alderz said:

I don't like shopping at relegated teams usually, but there are some really good players at risk of going down. I'd be really happy with a couple of these.

I miss the tumbleweed emoji! Most of my humour could see that added at the end ;)
    Don’t worry Baz, I imagine it’s there every time I read one of your posts :)
  • Just watching MOTD2 and I take it back about Raphinha. One of the things I love about our side is the team spirit, and the fact they seen like good, sporting players. Raphinha could really disrupt the group
  • alderz said:

Just watching MOTD2 and I take it back about Raphinha. One of the things I love about our side is the team spirit, and the fact they seen like good, sporting players. Raphinha could really disrupt the group

Why so alderz?
  • Did you see the way he was screaming in the refs face after he went to the VAR monitor? He got booked and had to be dragged away by teammates because he was 100% going to get himself sent off. It's not the sort of attitude I want to see in our players - I know there's always a bit of it, but that was way OTT. Combine that with the fact he doesn't seem interested in tracking back or working for the team when they're at risk of going down, and I just don't think he's the right character for us.
  • alderz said:

Did you see the way he was screaming in the refs face after he went to the VAR monitor? He got booked and had to be dragged away by teammates because he was 100% going to get himself sent off. It's not the sort of attitude I want to see in our players - I know there's always a bit of it, but that was way OTT. Combine that with the fact he doesn't seem interested in tracking back or working for the team when they're at risk of going down, and I just don't think he's the right character for us.

Yeah, I saw him having a go at the ref. Maybe he was telling him how bad he was and suggesting he was corrupt...

Half-joking, but I don't see it much differently to what Rice did, and the latter has been lauded by a lot of our fans on social media for being passionate and 'one of us'.

I haven't watched a lot of Leeds this season so have no idea of his defensive work; I saw Ian Wright pick apart his positioning, but again it's probably no worse than what some of our forwards display.

Not saying you're wrong about whether he'd fit though. Don't know enough about him other than he's a good footballer, but I do get the impression he'd probably consider himself a big fish. Personally I'd rather we look at someone like Lewis-Potter at Hull or Forest's Brennan; they've done very well in the Championship and would be keen to prove themselves.
  • Raphinha with that attitude would be a good fit at any of the Top Six clubs bar Manchester City!
  • He'd fit in at Arsenal ok.
  • alderz said:

Did you see the way he was screaming in the refs face after he went to the VAR monitor? He got booked and had to be dragged away by teammates because he was 100% going to get himself sent off. It's not the sort of attitude I want to see in our players - I know there's always a bit of it, but that was way OTT. Combine that with the fact he doesn't seem interested in tracking back or working for the team when they're at risk of going down, and I just don't think he's the right character for us.

Yeah, I saw him having a go at the ref. Maybe he was telling him how bad he was and suggesting he was corrupt...

Half-joking, but I don't see it much differently to what Rice did, and the latter has been lauded by a lot of our fans on social media for being passionate and 'one of us'.
    I’m maybe being biased, but I think that Rice was nowhere near as bad. Rice was in the tunnel after, walking away. Raphinha was in the refs face, on the pitch, screaming at him.
  • I disagree alderz, I was disappointed in Rice and expect EUFA to come down heavily on him for it, which won't help next time we're in Europe.

If a player had ranted like that to me as a League umpire after a cricket match, he could well end up with a long ban. I know it's a different sport, but Referee/Umpire abuse (which is what it was) cannot be condoned - however poor we think the official was. Personally I thought not much went our way, but we experience that most weeks anyway, so he should be used to it!

Whatever he may have thought, he needs to lead to 'count to ten' and how to address any real concerns in a more controlled manner.
  • edited May 2022
    alderz said:

alderz said:

I’m maybe being biased, but I think that Rice was nowhere near as bad. Rice was in the tunnel after, walking away. Raphinha was in the refs face, on the pitch, screaming at him.
    I think a lot depends on whether you think how something is said is more important than what is said.

And of course we don't know what Raphinha was saying, but his actions (chasing the ref and shouting) isn't something we haven't seen before (not that I'm condoning it).

Rice was actually accusing a FIFA official of being corrupt. Heat of the moment stuff, sure, but I don't remember ever seeing that before and it's a serious accusation and one that could see him banned. I'm actually surprised the ref didn't send him off for dissent.
  • edited May 2022
    Rice waited until the end of the match to have a pop at the ref, he kept his cool while he was on the pitch while Raphinha lost his

The next time we're in Europe it will be the Group Stages of the Europa League or Conference, if we up against the likes of Dinamo, Gent and Rapid we won't need Rice

There seems to be disagreement over whether Raphihna has a relegation release clause or not but most seem to agree that if Leeds are relegated he would be available for around £25m

I'd rather have Lingard on a free and spend £25m on Phillips
  • edited May 2022

Rice waited until the end of the match to have a pop at the ref, he kept his cool while he was on the pitch while Raphinha lost his

Wasn't Rice booked for dissent in that game? Or have I made that up?

Sure he got carded recently for arguing with the ref 🤔
  • Rice was booked in the Eintracht match.
  • Rice was actually the peacemaker during the game. Breaking up the scuffle between the benches and the one after Knauff decided to come for Benrahma for some reason.
  • Rice got booked 45+3 minutes, dissent. Think he was arguing about a foul that led to a free kick.
  • Rice got booked 45+3 minutes, dissent. Think he was arguing about a foul that led to a free kick.

Thanks ASLEF, so I wasn't going mad.

So Rice was booked for dissent during the game for arguing the refs decision, as was Raphinha against Arsenal, and then called the ref corrupt after the game.

Ok, Raphinha displayed more obvious 'aggression' in what he did (not sure he actually touched the ref though?), but I don't think it's fair to criticise him whilst giving Rice a free pass for what is effectively, IMO, the same thing.

Thanks ASLEF, so I wasn't going mad.

So Rice was booked for dissent during the game for arguing the refs decision, as was Raphinha against Arsenal, and then called the ref corrupt after the game.

Ok, Raphinha displayed more obvious 'aggression' in what he did (not sure he actually touched the ref though?), but I don't think it's fair to criticise him whilst giving Rice a free pass for what is effectively, IMO, the same thing.
    I don't feel like I've given anyone a free pass. I don't like seeing any dissent, I don't like it from Rice or anyone else. I do feel that the aggression displayed by Raphinha was really horrible to see, whereas Rice's dissent seemed to be just talking a bit too much - which is really not uncommon. I don't really understand the comment about touching the ref? Is it only crossing a line if he shoves him?

Ultimately, we're talking about Raphinha as a potential signing. I don't want to have people coming in with this behaviour. It's not the first time he's done stuff like that, and I don't like it. I get the impression, like you said earlier, that he is a bit of a billy big time. He strikes me as arrogant, and that doesn't strike me as the type of player we want.
  • The touching the ref comment was because I wasn't sure if he had. To me that does cross the line, but if he didn't then his behaviour is not that uncommon, particularly as the ref only saw fit to issue a yellow.

I agree that we don't want the behaviour at the club; I just think that fans can sometimes apply bias to the behaviour of their own. And that's not aimed at you specifically, but more a reaction to how Rice has been applauded by some of our fans for his actions, when I suspect if it was someone like Kane or Grealish they'd be pilloried for being 'rattled' or 'sore losers'.