Chelsea (away) Sunday 24th April 2pm Sky Sports

Comments

• I don’t see how you can back the decision to play a weakened squad but then bemoan that we didn’t beat them. We were always very unlikely to get a result, even with our best team out, but with so many rested a point would have been a miracle (and we almost got it).

Moyes could have brought on Antonio, Bowen and Lanzini at half-time and lost two of them to injury.

That would have been a much bigger travesty than losing (pretty unluckily) 1-0.
  • edited April 2022

I don’t see how you can back the decision to play a weakened squad but then bemoan that we didn’t beat them. We were always very unlikely to get a result, even with our best team out, but with so many rested a point would have been a miracle (and we almost got it).

Moyes could have brought on Antonio, Bowen and Lanzini at half-time and lost two of them to injury.

I felt there were too many rested, personally. Just my view. 👍

I appreciate Antonio as he is pivotal & our only striker. I felt four key players was excessive & didn’t support it but Moyes is the manager at the end of the day & has done wonders for us.

I just felt we missed a trick. I don’t want us to be happy to accept defeats because we rested players & we have another game Thursday. Surely we all want the club to develop the mentality of winning every game?

I feel disappointed, given how poor & sluggish Chelsea were, how subdued the ground was etc, I felt disappointed we didn’t show more intent to try & take 3 points.
  • It was a soft penalty and very unlucky to lose. Rice didn't pick up Pulisic. Hope, he would be fit for Thursday as he taken a knock earlier and was limping and holding his side.

Now, need to find a dominant centre-back for the next EPL game.
  • Someone start the Frankfurt thread so we can move on.
  • Lukerz said:

I don’t see how you can back the decision to play a weakened squad but then bemoan that we didn’t beat them. We were always very unlikely to get a result, even with our best team out, but with so many rested a point would have been a miracle (and we almost got it).

I felt there were too many rested, personally. Just my view. 👍

I appreciate Antonio as he is pivotal & our only striker. I felt four key players was excessive & didn’t support it but Moyes is the manager at the end of the day & has done wonders for us.

I just felt we missed a trick. I don’t want us to be happy to accept defeats because we rested players & we have another game Thursday. Surely we all want the club to develop the mentality of winning every game?

I feel disappointed, given how poor & sluggish Chelsea were, how subdued the ground was etc, I felt disappointed we didn’t show more intent to try & take 3 points.
    I think it's easy to say that now but again, if any of Rice, Bowen, Lanzini or Antonio got injured the criticism would have been the other way around.

And anyway, we still may have lost. It's not like we ever win big away games under Moyes, and we've only won one away game in the league this year.
  • Yeah that is something we do need to improve on under Moyes. Away to the top 6 are basically write offs.
  • Lukerz said:

Yeah that is something we do need to improve on under Moyes. Away to the top 6 are basically write offs.

Yep. The Arsenal game just feels like an even more inconvenience than it usually does.
  • Aren’t we at home to Arteta’s irritating mob? Judgement on days like today can wait until the end of the season to assess what has been achieved. If it’s nothing then any criticism will be justified. 👍
  • I won't be criticising the team, even if we don't win the Europa League or qualify for Europe.

Another fantastic season. We aren't entitled to anything.
  • We haven’t won away in the league for 4 months so expecting top 4 or even 6 is probably a bit optimistic as we’d need to have a better record than that.
    Let’s hope the EL pans out well.
  • IMO it's an obvious penalty, Luke, were you watching a dodgy stream??!! Sky 6 team

Fixed it for yah
  • I won't be criticising the team, even if we don't win the Europa League or qualify for Europe.

Another fantastic season. We aren't entitled to anything.

Completely agree. Yes it will be disappointing to have come so close if we come away with nothing, but this season has thrown up so many memorable moments that’ll stay with me for a long time.

• I remain disappointed with Vlasic, on,paper he seemed a reasonable acquisition yet even in a game with a number of missing/resting players, he remains on the bench.

How Bennie gets the nod ahead of him for todays game is beyond me, we needed a battler up top and I think that Vlasic could fulfill that. He has had a couple of opportunities to shine and faltered but I would have given him a starting place today to give him another chance to show us why he was last years Russian player of the year.

Always going to be a difficult game and feel we were unlucky overall.

Dawson still in the running for HOTY in my mind
  • Yeah I think it’s between Dawson and Bowen for HOTY this year
  • I didn't see the match as was working but from what I can tell we were resolute in defence and acquitted ourselves well. That no one got injured, a few key players got rested but sadly Dawson got a red card, meaning he will also get rested now for the cup and Alese will get a chance now for a premiership debut.

As Wolves got beat, United got beat and Spurs only drew it looks like we didn't have a bad weekend.

We do want to still give the league a go as we have an outside chance of 6th but in all reality everything that means anything now is to do with Frankfurt and a potential final.
  • Chicago, Vlasic can’t show he is up for it if he isn’t picked, a bit like Kral, that is down to David Moyes.
    candbsky, I understand Dawson only misses the Arsenal game.
  • West Ham boss David Moyes, speaking to BBC Sport: "I think for what we had done today, to make it difficult, which we did for most of the game, we didn't quite have enough.

"I think Daws should have met the ball and not given the ref a decision. If you are going to wrestle with players you give refs a decision to make. He had played very well before that. I thought it was our day to get something. A point would have been important for us. Coming here is never easy. We were very close.

"We hung in the game. We didn't have loads of chances. It is the first time we have chosen to change some of our stronger players. With the game midweek I felt it was important. We have ben in good shape and spirits all year. We shouldn't be downbeat by today. We need to play better. When you have a period with these upcoming games it is difficult. This time you need a strong squad and to give some players a break. The other players did a great job today."
  • Chicago, Vlasic can’t show he is up for it if he isn’t picked, a bit like Kral, that is down to David Moyes.
    candbsky, I understand Dawson only misses the Arsenal game.

It’s not only down to them, though. They need to force him to pick them by training better than the other players, and when they’re given a chance they absolutely need to take it - which Vlasic hasn’t done at all.
  • edited April 2022
    alderz, The Vlasic situation was discussed the other week. Fornals was criticised in his first season and played a lot more than Vlasic has this year. He needs to be given a similar amount of time IMHO and when Benny goes he may get more of a chance. 😉
  • alderz, The Vlasic situation was discussed the other week. Fornals was criticised in his first season and played a lot more than Vlasic has this year. He needs to be given a similar amount of time IMHO and when Benny goes he may get more of a chance. 😉

Fornals wasn’t very effective in his first season, but he always ran himself into the ground, pressed hard, and he was playing in a team that only just stayed up with the manager who bought him getting sacked.

Vlasic has been in a side with 12 more games than usual, has looked lost on the pitch, and has been in a side that has been on the front foot for the majority of games. We should absolutely have seen much, much more of him.
  • I think we were excellent

Chelsea have only failed to score in a Premier League match three times this season, twice against City and a 0-0 draw with Wolves

We kept them goalless until the 90th minute and conceded after our only centre back had been sent off

--------------------------------------------------

Fornals 2019-20
    40 appearances, 27 starts, full 90 minutes 11 times, Unused sub once
    2,422 minutes

Benrahma 2020-21
    36 appearances, 17 starts, full 90 minutes 4 times, unused sub twice
    1,717 minutes

Vlasic 2021-22
    35 appearances, 16 starts, full 90 minutes once, unused sub 14 times
    1,622 minutes

Never mind about Moyes not giving the kids a chance, we've got full internationals like Kral and Vlasic not getting much of a chance!
  • I thought the general consensus at the beginning of the season was to finish top half, no relegation fears and a good cup run.

Well, we've achieved that in spades and still some are unhappy. 🤔

We could have bought four players in January and they may have been crocked within a month, or not shown up at all. The small squad argument doesn't hold water as United have a large squad of internationals and are two points ahead of us with an inferior goal difference.
  • edited April 2022
    I don't remember thinking in August that top half and no relegation battle would be a 'good' season; call me greedy, but I thought top half should be a minimum given our progress last season.

I won't speak for anyone else, but I review my hopes/expectations half way through a season based on where we are and how we've performed.

If, in January, we were 15th and struggling, then an 8th place finish in May and a EL semi-final would be good; but we were 4th and had, IMO at least, an opportunity to push on and try to stay there for the second half.

As for the argument that "we could have bought four players in January and they may have been crocked within a month, or not shown up at all", that's true of any signing in any window. But given the impact Lingard had the previous January, and that of Bowen and Soucek the year before, it wasn't without precedent that January signings can have a hugely positive effect on the second half of the season.
  • I agree with both of the last two posts :+1:
  • Btw, I am ecstatic with the season.

You can still reflect on a game & that doesn’t change the feeling.

Top 7 I feel we should get, based on the season & what I have seen of other sides, but top 10 is always a very solid year.
  • IronHerb said:

I thought the general consensus at the beginning of the season was to finish top half, no relegation fears and a good cup run.

Well, we've achieved that in spades and still some are unhappy. 🤔

We could have bought four players in January and they may have been crocked within a month, or not shown up at all. The small squad argument doesn't hold water as United have a large squad of internationals and are two points ahead of us with an inferior goal difference.

True, or you get what Newcastle got.
  • Thought Ben Johnson was excellent yesterday.
  • I was so proud of that performance, until Boy Ref and var and the assistant ref combined to ruin my mood. He's consistently the most biased top four ref against us, btw.
    Imo Johnson could be a top CB, he has all the qualities needed.
    Onwards and upwards ...
  • Just waiting for Johnson to put in a solid showing at CDM at this rate.
  • Following in Rice's footprints...