Zouma

Comments

• yoyo said:

Zouma starts tonight

Disgusting 🤬
  • While I'm disgusted with his actions...

I don't think the club should fine him or punish him.

I think what he did should be dealt with in the same way any ordinary person would. No more severely and no less severely.

If he's sincere when he says he's sorry and ashamed, then I'd like to see something proposed by him that's a kind of restorative justice and that's useful in promoting the cause of animal welfare.
  • I'm sorry but I can't agree Mrs Grey with all you said above.....

At the end of the day PL players are not 'ordinary' people, while we all make mistakes in our lives we don't all go around kicking and slapping cats...

They shoud be setting an example IMO ...

What must children think, all laughing while filming it....
  • Fair enough.

I just have very strong views that employers of any sort shouldn't be policing the morals of their staff or their behaviour outside work.
    We have other entities for that, and a rule of law.
  • I'm sorry but I can't agree Mrs Grey with all you said above.....

At the end of the day PL players are not 'ordinary' people, while we all make mistakes in our lives we don't all go around kicking and slapping cats...

But they are ordinary people, well paid but ordinary people. The outcry has been over done. It was a bad thing to do but the outcry is ridiculous.
  • Players are role models that have a duty to behave responsibly. This was beyond irresponsible. Just don't get how he can be playing tonight.
  • If they got treated as ordinary people I'd agree but they don't

If I had done that I'd have been fined, the cat taken from me, possibly having to do some sort of community service or worse
  • IronHerb said:

I'm sorry but I can't agree Mrs Grey with all you said above.....

But they are ordinary people, well paid but ordinary people. The outcry has been over done. It was a bad thing to do but the outcry is ridiculous.
    In your opinion..you mean....
    Anyhow, I know I'm not alone with my views....And I respect others, even if I don't agree.

I simply cannot agree with your view and the outcry is ridiculous, tell that to the RSPCA and all the volunteers that work at shelters for abused animals...

IMO he is a disgrace and I'm gutted that he's playing tonight..
  • If they got treated as ordinary people I'd agree but they don't

If I had done that I'd have been fined, the cat taken from me, possibly having to do some sort of community service or worse

Those things may yet happen to Zouma. I'm sure we'll find out in the coming days.
  • I don't think he should be playing tonight but I don't think he should be cancelled either. He should be fined, with the money going to animal welfare charities, he should be banned for a set number of games and he should do a few shifts in an animal rescue centre to see the effects of what abuse to animals looks like so he can learn from what he did.
  • IronHerb said:

Anyhow, I know I'm not alone with my views....And I respect others, even if I don't agree.

I simply cannot agree with your view and the outcry is ridiculous, tell that to the RSPCA and all the volunteers that work at shelters for abused animals...

Of course it’s my opinion, aren’t I allowed one?
  • I think we can all agree that the club will lose out whatever. As employers some may want him fined and banned. Others believe the police and RSPCA should deal with it. But I think we all believe it was wrong. Give him stick, but support the team ⚒
  • IronHerb said:

IronHerb said:

Of course it’s my opinion, aren’t I allowed one?
    Just perhaps state it then, that in your opinion you think the outcry is ridiculous, because I certainly don’t 👍🏻
  • Everything on here is an opinion.
  • He has however bought reputational damage to the club, his employer
  • He has however bought reputational damage to the club, his employer

I disagree.

His actions are his own.
  • Noble being respectful and gentle with carp.
    Captain who leads by example.
  • Thoughts on the pre-match hugs? Just for show? Or genuine support from his teammates?
  • MrsGrey said:

Socially there is a massive difference between fishing and abusing a domestic pet.
  • Noble being respectful and gentle with carp.
    Captain who leads by example.

I can't work out if you are joking.

Noble holding fish that he caught for fun with a hook in its mouth and dragged it out of the water by said hook, now holding it while it suffocates, is what I see here.
  • I do fish, and was not joking at all Mrs Grey. There is no comparison.
    The most popular pastime in the world. If pleasure fishing is cruel then I am guilty along with millions of others.
  • edited February 2022
    alderz said:

MrsGrey said:

Socially there is a massive difference between fishing and abusing a domestic pet.
    Yes. But that's just culturally determined. The cruelty is the same.
    In both instances, the individuals inflicted the suffering directly. Possibly the cat actually got the better deal of the two.
    I find both things abhorrent. But in neither case do I think the player should be sanctioned by the club, nor do I think their actions reflect on it.

I wonder if the club canteen uses only free range eggs and non battery farmed chickens.

I think the cat thing is disgusting, but I find the reaction (generally) simplistic because the issue of how animals are treated is much bigger than that, and quite complex.

Social media is a great place for a overwrought, kneejerk reaction. And of course too few people actually put in any serious thought to the issue. Is my p.o.v. on the incident.

( Not directed at anyone specifically here, more of an observation about how the issue has played out in the media.)
  • And therein lies the issue that Lukerz mentioned earlier. What Zouma did to the cat was abhorrent. Some people feel the same way about fishing. Like a cat doesn't ask to be kicked, a fish doesn't ask to be dragged out of the water with a hook in its mouth.

I'm not judging people who like to fish, by the way. I just find it interesting where each person draws the line.
  • edited February 2022

I do fish, and was not joking at all Mrs Grey. There is no comparison.
    The most popular pastime in the world. If pleasure fishing is cruel then I am guilty along with millions of others.

From my point of view, I think you are.

Edit... Not sure you are right when you say it's the most popular pastime in the world! 😂
  • MrsGrey said:

I do fish, and was not joking at all Mrs Grey. There is no comparison.

From my point of view, I think you are.

Edit... Not sure you are right when you say it's the most popular pastime in the world! 😂
    Wordle is clear
  • Fair enough and I do respect your views.
    I will still go fishing without guilt though, and not kick my dog or cat as that I see as very wrong.

• He definitely didn’t get abuse in the end. I heard at least 3 chants about it.
  • Watford booed him for the first half but gave up in the second. I heard no anti Zouma chants or comments from the home crowd.