West Ham recruitment and general grumbling

Comments

• His biggest attribute is he’s a beast and normally destroys defenders when he’s running at them but his touch is woeful and his brain limited so I think it’s a dilemma.

Thorn, you better hope he doesn't read this forum or you might have an unexpected visit on elate evening. =)
  • We can all say we’re on a bad run, but who’s to say that our competitors for the top eight won’t go through a sticky patch. Others have bigger squads, but some you may not have heard of, otherwise they may be dross. IMO only the Man City’s of this world have real quality on the bench who can slot straight in.

I also think we have points on the board, and others will struggle when the fixture congestion hits.
  • I wouldnt express disappointment at finishing 8th as I am aware that outside of last season we'd all settle for 8th if it was given to us before a season started! My irritance which has turned to a faded disappointment and a little apathy is because (as I've said before) it seemed like a rare chance to strengthen from a high league position and genuinely challenge for 4th place. Even if that didn't come to fruition we still would've had more depth for fighting in the FA Cup and the Europa.

As for the striker thing, I obviously wanted at least one more striker. Perhaps not even to compete with Antonio though as he can play in other positions or be rested. Everyone else has at least more than one striker option and I find that ridiculous
  • Bazshuayi said:

My irritance which has turned to a faded disappointment and a little apathy is because (as I've said before) it seemed like a rare chance to strengthen from a high league position and genuinely challenge for 4th place. Even if that didn't come to fruition we still would've had more depth for fighting in the FA Cup and the Europa.

This is basically where I am now. If the season goes how I expect it to (8th-9th and no European football), the players that we may have been able to attract in January (when we were in 4th place when the window opened and in the EL) will not be an option in summer. And that's the crux for me; January was an opportunity to solidify in the short-term to build in the long-term from a position of strength, and we just didn't do it. Instead we'll be trying to build in the summer when we'll have a weaker negotiating position without EL football and without the financial clout of the Newcastles and Villas of the league.

I've accepted that now, but it doesn't make me any less cross.
  • I wouldn’t assume we’re going to have a weaker negotiating position. We’re still in two cup competitions & in the battle for Europe via league position. Let’s wait until we fail before we decide we have.
  • I still don’t get why people are upset.
    It’s West Ham!
    It’s football!
    Enjoy the ride.😎

Blimey, imagine how boring it must be to be a Man City fan.
  • Couldn’t have put it better.

https://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=44272
    #koyi #whufc
  • edited February 2022
    Yarmolenko takes some stick and rightly so at times, as he seems to be so ineffective. But I'm going to cut the guy some slack over the next few weeks or so. Football could be just the distraction he needs but ,away from training and the pitch,he must have lots of things going through his mind about what's happening to family and friends Back home. I hope all's well for him, I'm sure we all do.
  • Slacker, How can being a Manchester City fan be boring?
  • Slacker, How can being a Manchester City fan be boring?

Would you get excited about watching a team that wins most thing’s most seasons? A club that if it didn’t,can just go and buy absolutely anyone to make sure that they win the the thing that didn’t win that season.A team that 99% of the time just routinely roll over the opposition ?

Nah, not for me.

• Could have quite the budget in the summer if what Moyes' told Russell Penn is true:

https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136725

Presumably the £100m that was available last month will be rolled over to the summer budget, which has been in the region of £50m-£60m in recent years.
  • The last thing we need is another Haller & Anderson.

Let’s use it right.
  • Lukerz said:

The last thing we need is another Haller & Anderson.

Let’s use it right.

Don't think we can afford another Haller and Anderson. 7-9 players needed in the summer so that £150m won't go too far in the modern game.
  • I know, let’s start a summer transfer thread!

Oh……………
  • Dont believe moyes would tell some guy he has 100 mill to spend ,but if its true ,OCL is right bung in another 50 ,then on top of that 100 mill for Rice plus 50 for Bowen .we are upto 300 mill =)
  • edited February 2022
    Moyes has stated that we were in for Luis Diaz in January. He spoke to the player and his agent and we were 'quite far down the line' for a deal with Porto, apparently.

Liverpool then stepped in (they were lining up a summer move by all accounts) and we were blown out of the water.

Moyes selling it as a kind of success; that we're targeting players that the big clubs want. The obvious problem is that the big clubs will invariably get the player.
  • The silver lining to that though is that Spurs were apparently further down the line and furious he chose Liverpool ;)
  • To be fair, if it's between Liverpool, Spurs and West Ham, there's only one place a player will go.

This is why we need to be a bit smarter with out transfer policy and not just chase 'names'. The reality is that we, along with most of the PL, need to identify players on the cusp of becoming top class, because once they get there they become out of our league and on the radars of the big boys.

Jonathan David is a good example. A goal every other game in the Belgian Pro League and went to Lille for £25m two tears ago. We were heavily linked with him in January but he's likely to cost double that now after scoring 25 in 63 in France (and 20 in 27 for Canada).

He'd be a very good alternative to Antonio; he's quick, has a better touch than our No9 and obviously knows where the goal is. I'm sure we'd be interested in a summer move, but I suspect a lot of other, bigger teams will be too.
  • OCS, Unfortunately I reckon David is no longer going under the radar & will move to a top European team in the summer. I agree with you in that Rob Newman needs to find a few nuggets from somewhere, I understand he mainly likes to focus on La Liga and the Portuguese league for signings?
  • edited February 2022

OCS, Unfortunately I reckon David is no longer going under the radar & will move to a top European team in the summer. I agree with you in that Rob Newman needs to find a few nuggets from somewhere, I understand he mainly likes to focus on La Liga and the Portuguese league for signings?

Yeah, I think David is destined for a bigger club than us. But there will be players out there available to us as he was to Lille, providing we have the set-up in place to find them, which I believe is what Newman was bought in to do.

I still think we'll be targeting the French leagues as they're so financially compromised that there are good deals to be done, but I don't want this to be the over-riding factor in who we sign. The player has to be right, and if we get a good deal then that's a bonus.
  • OCS, I like the idea of looking at Lique Un players as there are some decent players to be signed well within our budget even though it is rumoured to be greater than normal.
  • It appears most of the wealth our new part owner has is tied up with supplying Russian gas to Europe as he owns transit companies, that would be a very West Ham thing to happen, Islandic biscuits anybody
  • ♫ If you made a lot of money selling biscuits, buy our club! ♪
  • My Grumble:Went to look for tickets for my son for the Seville game and tickets which should be band 5 are now band 4 and that's for row 73 block 242 right at the top.
    I sit in row 63 in that block so i should know.
    If you go further along there asking band 1 prices for sitting up the top as well.
    It's not supply and demand it's one big CON.
  • edited March 2022

I can't see any reason why Hasenhuttl would make this up, if indeed he said it at all.

But if he did, it does beg the question as to why Moyes is complaining about our lack of squad depth having not utilised the month-long opportunity to increase it?

Does this suggest Moyes is unhappy with the board's role in January's inactivity?
  • A different point but I don't like the fact that Hasenhuttl has told the press what was a private conversation
  • Or he couldn't get who he wanted?

To be continued.....
  • Didn't Hassenhutl criticise the opposition team recently? Now they're doing well, he doesn't seem to know how to handle it. Talk about your own team.

On Moyes, I really do think he was unhappy with the board. I don't think this window was the same as the others, where he made it clear it was on him.
  • Fair retort:

"We could do with a stronger squad, we would have liked to have made more signings but every time we get asked those questions I feel like saying 'Do you think we did not try? Do you think that we did not make offers? Do you think we do not know we need a bigger squad?'

But I keep saying Rome wasn't built in a day. I want to continue building West Ham. The room West Ham has for future development and the potential to get better and those things you just mentioned are two of them. We are aware of that and I think it is a good sign we are still doing okay and people are mentioning our squad depth and the players we have got."
  • edited March 2022
    But then you read this:

Moyes: "You could buy a top goal scorer who wouldn't work as hard as our forwards.

"We've put out nearly the same team again and I'm going to keep doing it, we know we would have liked some signings in January and if it runs aground it runs aground."

Does this not just sound reckless? Doesn't seem to be bothered whether we end up falling down the league or the impact it may have on the players. He said something similar in a recent pre-match interview ('if it breaks, it breaks') and I can't help but think it's a bit of a worrying mentality.