West Ham recruitment and general grumbling

Comments

• whupathman, I would like to think based on the concerns raised by many when we didn't sign anyone in January that we would be actively exploring the recruitment options available to us due to the very unfortunate problems currently in Ukraine.
  • Tbh Antonio and Creswell have been poor lately so no massive loos apart from that of squad depth.
  • edited March 2022
    I don't know Hamstew, they say the new Spurs stadium looks like a massive loo hahaha
  • A massive club needs massive loos
  • On a serious note, why don't we try Longelo at left back on Thursday if Cresswell isn't available? At least he actually plays left back.
  • Lukerz said:

Let’s wait & see. Antonio may have been cramp/spasm & would understandably not want to risk it ahead of Thursday. Cresswell has been feeling his groin the last two games. Bowen, we don’t know. Let’s see who we have available come Thursday.

But the point remains. We went into the second half of the season trusting that we wouldn't get significant injuries, which given our history was naive at best.

We may get lucky, but Cresswell was definitely feeling his groin against Sevilla and if that's still bothering him today, he won't be available on Thursday, IMO. And you feel that even if Antonio starts, he won't make it through the game and may only aggravate the injury more.
  • Bowen is the big one as I can't see goals on Thursday without him. Antonio would have been a huge loss but it's hard to make a case for that since his return from Jamaica, I would like him fit but if it were a choice between him and Bowen coming back I would choose Bowen all day at present. Cressers is also a big loss as we are much more of a threat with him in the side.
  • Bowen back would be huge. His pace in behind would give them something different to think about
  • Yeah, he's fast like an arrow...

#Bowen_Arrow ;)
  • That was more like a Jim Bowen joke. 😬
  • Bazshuayi, Apologies but I don't understand the point you are trying to make? =)
  • Bazshuayi said:

Yeah, he's fast like an arrow...

#Bowen_Arrow ;)

Jokes like this have me all a quiver
  • edited March 2022
    Jokes like this have me all a quiver
    Are yew joking?

• edited March 2022
    David Moyes on Said Benrahma's assists: "That is what he has to do isn't it? He was better today, but you saw a lot of really good and a lot of really poor so what we are trying to get is the good more regular."

This is a general grumbling I have with Moyes. Does anyone recall the manager ever saying anything like this about Soucek? Or Antonio? Or Fornals? All have had form issues this season but it always seems to be Benrahma that gets the public stick treatment.
  • He's tasked with being a creator and goalscorer (which is why we bought him?) which, in the Prem., is not easy. I guess other more workmanlike players dont have the same expectation put on them? I agree that individual players shouldn't be singled out
  • IronHerb said:

That was more like a Jim Bowen joke. 😬

Listen to Tony... Play out from the back and dont get a red ;)
  • Unless you're close to perfect (like Payet) any kind of flair player seems to get a lot of criticism. When they try things and they don't come off they'll be criticised but if they start holding back then we wonder why they're not beating players.

It must be very difficult to get the mentality right, to balance discipline, judgement and confidence. I guess that's what puts certain flair players into the elite.

But maybe it's also managers who struggle to harness that. I thought when Benrahma played as a 10 a few weeks ago he was great. Suddenly he was replaced by Vlasic and back out on to the left and didn't play so well.

Also, last year when Benrahma's stats weren't so good and people talked about him getting used to things, I actually thought he was a better player. I thought he passed more instinctively, which meant he often opened up a whole attack, even if someone else got the assist. Maybe he's thinking too much about making the right decision now that he's not making any decision quick enough. (add to this what I've said before about lacking movement among our attacking players, which I think shackles all of the creative players)
  • I thought first half against Villa Benrahma was poor despite Cresser playing well and giving him plenty of the ball. I believe he would look much better playing on the right where he could go past a defender and put in a cross instead of always turning back.
  • Moyes has an agenda

Benrahma has often frustrated but it's not like Antonio, Soucek, Fornals, Coufal etc. Haven't also had largely ineffective games where they do a lot wrong

But haven't ever heard him single out an individual for what they do wrong apart from Bennie

So definitely an agenda for me
  • Agenda, really? Benrahma has barely had a run of games where he has performed to a high level. It's not about a dip in form it's the overall performances.
  • IronHerb said:

Agenda, really? Benrahma has barely had a run of games where he has performed to a high level. It's not about a dip in form it's the overall performances.

But the same could be said of a number of players this season. Antonio had a good start to the season, as did Benrahma, but his form has dropped off significantly since then. Do you ever recall Antonio getting called out publicly? Genuine question, because I don't. Antonio makes just as many, if not more, bad decisions than Benrahma, IMO.

I'm with Champo on this; I do believe there's something of an agenda. If Moyes was critical across the board, then fine, but he certainly seems to single out Benrahma much more than anyone else, from what I've seen and read.
  • Benrahma at least tries to make something happen.
  • I don’t think the “agenda” needs to be a bad thing. Moyes must have believe that Benrahma needs criticism to get the best out of him, while others maybe need an arm around them. He has done it with others - Coufal, Dawson, Bowen - at different points too.

Personally, I don’t like hearing the manager openly criticise players. But Moyes is an experienced manager, we have a brilliant club atmosphere and team cohesion that he has helped install, and I’m sure he has his reasons.
  • alderz said:

I don’t think the “agenda” needs to be a bad thing. Moyes must have believe that Benrahma needs criticism to get the best out of him, while others maybe need an arm around them. He has done it with others - Coufal, Dawson, Bowen - at different points too.

Personally, I don’t like hearing the manager openly criticise players. But Moyes is an experienced manager, we have a brilliant club atmosphere and team cohesion that he has helped install, and I’m sure he has his reasons.

I get the carrot and the stick thing, but if Moyes thinks publicly criticising Benrahma will get the best out of him, it clearly isn't working, otherwise he wouldn't need to keep doing it.

I do remember the dig at Dawson the other week, but that was a one-off. I honestly don't remember anyone else getting the consistent criticism that Benrahma does.
  • Does Moyes consistently criticise him in public?

And is it always wholly negative (eg, the quote in your earlier post combines praise and criticism)
  • OCS, He isn't going to criticise Antonio much as he hasn't got a back up plan to give him a shot up the backside he himself agrees he needs, the old window issue, whereas with Benny he has players who can play in his position so it appears to be a case of I expect more from you on a consistent basis & if you can't do it I will not start you.
  • edited March 2022
    MrsGrey said:

Does Moyes consistently criticise him in public?

And is it always wholly negative (eg, the quote in your earlier post combines praise and criticism)

I just don't understand why it can't just be praise. 'We're really pleased with Benrahma's assists today'. I don't have an issue with constructive criticism on the training pitch; after all, that's what a manager is there to do, but I don't agree with publicly calling out a player.

And, ok, 'consistent criticism' is perhaps more perception than fact, but I certainly feel that Benrahma gets much more public criticism than anyone else in the squad.
  • Benrahma gets criticised, I imagine, as he doesn’t show, in Moyes’ view, enough evidence that he is learning & taking on board the coaching he is receiving. Moyes may also feel that Benrahma is the sort of personality who has the potential to get carried away with success, which may have been something he saw at the start of the season. Maybe he witnessed Benrahma become complacent after his fast start. We don’t know for sure. I do agree that all his best games come when he plays as a No.10. Moyes probably feels all the other players try & play to his coaching teams tune, whereas maybe he feels Benrahma either ignores this or is unable to develop.

• I do remember the dig at Dawson the other week, but that was a one-off. I honestly don't remember anyone else getting the consistent criticism that Benrahma does.

Duck’s back and water comes to mind with Dawson.

• David Moyes on Said Benrahma's assists: "That is what he has to do isn't it? He was better today, but you saw a lot of really good and a lot of really poor so what we are trying to get is the good more regular."

This is a general grumbling I have with Moyes. Does anyone recall the manager ever saying anything like this about Soucek? Or Antonio? Or Fornals? All have had form issues this season but it always seems to be Benrahma that gets the public stick treatment.

Lucky lucky Benrhama..... Kral could only dreammm about his performances being criticised in such a way.