West Ham recruitment and general grumbling

Comments

• If anyone on here or elsewhere, with the exception of club, can tell me exactly why we didn’t sign anyone in January, they can have the keys to my cottage and car.
    NOBODY KNOWS!
  • Slacker said:

If anyone on here or elsewhere, with the exception of club, can tell me exactly why we didn’t sign anyone in January, they can have the keys to my cottage and car.
    NOBODY KNOWS!

I think everyone knows, don’t they? Moyes has openly said he didn’t think there was anyone available who improved the team. Do you want to send the keys recorded delivery?
  • Needed a CF to help us out in Jan....to sign nobody was a joke

Obviously no guarantees that it would've helped, but to not even try and address the situation when this has been an issue for best part of 24 months is 100% a misse opportunity

We get 6th and I'll ignore it all (top 4 imo was never really going to be achievable with Thursday football), but if we come 7th I'm going to think what could of been and how not investing in Jan has hurt us
  • Needed a CF to help us out in Jan....to sign nobody was a joke

Obviously no guarantees that it would've helped, but to not even try and address the situation when this has been an issue for best part of 24 months is 100% a misse opportunity

We get 6th and I'll ignore it all (top 4 imo was never really going to be achievable with Thursday football), but if we come 7th I'm going to think what could of been and how not investing in Jan has hurt us

I think you just made my point for me, how do you know we didn’t try to sign a striker or not?
    We may have done , we may not haven’t done, so unless you have a hotline to the club…….

• When you only start looking for a striker on deadline day, tells me they were not really signing anybody in January.
  • When you only start looking for a striker on deadline day, tells me they were not really signing anybody in January.

There's literally no evidence that they started looking on deadline day
  • They may not have started looking on deadline day, but the implication is that they didn't start bidding until late in the window. Moyes on the Zapata 'deal':

“That one (a deal for Zapata) was done... but they (Atalanta), for the last four hours of the window, just disappeared, shut down."

So we tried (and failed) to sign a striker. Leaving it late, as we appear to have done, evidently backfired.
  • Going by what has happened in the past few seasons, we seem to do our business on the final day.
  • * bangs head against wall.
  • Hang on, you're moaning about grumbling on a grumbling thread? Hahaha no wonder you're banging your head.
  • Our end to the season (2 wins in our last 11) show you that there is room for improvement. I think we could look at CB, LB, AM, LW, ST as crucial areas to strengthen. The squad is good & we have done really well but there is room to improve.
  • That record is relegation form not top 6 form.
  • We also do need a keeper next season to transition Fab out. Areola could be that man. He is letting in too many goals when you think ‘should he have done better’. He should have saved the equaliser today & the rest of the game doesn’t matter.
  • Slacker said:

Needed a CF to help us out in Jan....to sign nobody was a joke

I think you just made my point for me, how do you know we didn’t try to sign a striker or not?
    We may have done , we may not haven’t done, so unless you have a hotline to the club…….

If we did then we didn't do well enough, this isn't a late injury or something...we've had one striker for 12 months

It’s luckily not an 11 game season.

Which is why despite taking the season result if offered at the start of the year, by January we could and should have done much more.
  • edited May 2022

That record is relegation form not top 6 form.

Which is why despite taking the season result if offered at the start of the year, by January we could and should have done much more.
    Exactly this. We had a good first half of the season and were 4th when the window opened.

We had a choice to either twist and strengthen and try to maintain that position, or stick with what we had and run the risk of the season falling away.

We opted for the latter and our form has suffered as a result.
  • Said it a few times but you can't really get away from it. Hoped it wouldnt haunt us but was always concerned it would
  • We did qualify for Europe for the 2nd season running for the first time ever on league position it’s natural to think what we could have done better but we have had a great season again what’s done is done looking forward to next season

Exactly this. We had a good first half of the season and were 4th when the window opened.

We had a choice to either twist and strengthen and try to maintain that position, or stick with what we had and run the risk of the season falling away.

We opted for the latter and our form has suffered as a result.
    At the risk of repeating myself, how do you know that we opted to “ stick with what we had?” Do you know how many player’s agents we approached? Do you know if terms couldn’t be finalised with other clubs or personal terms with the player? Because I don’t.
    Yes it was disappointing and perhaps a bit surprising that we didn’t get deals done but you can’t say with any degree of certainty that we hadn’t worked on getting players in.

• I’m pretty sure Moyes said they tried to get players in during January but there were not able to get any players they wanted and he would nt sign players for the sake of it. I think Moyes takes a long term view rather than short term and wants the right players in and won’t rush in to signing players for the sake of it
  • Seems like the transfer market has been open for a bit ,But when does it really open
  • I looked into my crystal ' what happened in the alternative universe ' ball. In fact, we signed a brilliant striker and a CB in the January window. They both got injured and missed the rest of the season.
  • edited May 2022
    Bottom line is, as good a season as it's been, we won fewer games than last season, lost more, scored fewer, conceded more, got fewer points and finished lower in the table.

So whilst we had the extra Europa games to contend with, we actually regressed in every aspect.

Important we do what we can to not let that happen again next season.
  • Most teams who qualify for Europe struggle domestically wolves Burnley etc we only dropped 1 place I would not say we regressed overall we beat Liverpool one of only two teams to do so Chelsea spurs Man City in the cup Man U in the cup . Yes we looked tired 2nd half of the season but the team can still beat almost anyone on thier day
  • I really enjoy contributing on this forum so I am not going to start digging people out. Just to say I still haven't seen any evidence that we did make a real effort to bring in the players we needed especially in the last window, if not in the previous one either. David Moyes might as well have been in neutral, he didn't get the name "Dithering Dave" from the Everton fans for nothing. He can't say he hasn't got any alternatives on the bench if he doesn't sign any to address the situation. This has been a good season but it could have been better.
  • steve said:

Seems like the transfer market has been open for a bit ,But when does it really open

The transfer window is a bit of a myth, really. It’s actually a squad registration window, which usually runs from around 9th June to 31st August. You can negotiate and agree a transfer whenever you like, you just can’t register a player before the window opens.
  • Bottom line is, as good a season as it's been, we won fewer games than last season, lost more, scored fewer, conceded more, got fewer points and finished lower in the table.

So whilst we had the extra Europa games to contend with, we actually regressed in every aspect.

I don’t think that is the bottom line, for me at least. You can’t look at the league in isolation, otherwise I could say “our Europa League performance was immeasurably better than last season so we’ve improved”. You take the season as a whole.

I think the bottom line is that we dropped one place from last season - despite playing 56 games this season compared to 44 the year before - and we qualified for Europe again.
  • Bottom line is, as good a season as it's been, we won fewer games than last season, lost more, scored fewer, conceded more, got fewer points and finished lower in the table.

If regression is having fabulous European nights and getting so close to getting to the final,and contending in the top end of the Premier League I’ll take it.

• I don't know how anyone can look at this season and say we regressed in every aspect. I really don't.