West Ham recruitment and general grumbling

Comments

• WHU, So when was the time you were the most disappointed as a Hammers Fan?

To name a few.....
    Gerrard Equalisier
    Relegation
    Palace Playoff final
    Relegation again
    Missing out on automatic promotion
    Parker leaving (loved him)
    Attending our 6-0 loss to Reading
    Moving to the OS
    Diangana getting sold (ok more rage then disappointment and ironically it was a great deal for us as he hasn't progressed)
  • WHU, So when was the time you were the most disappointed as a Hammers Fan?

I can honestly say West Ham have been more disappointing at every other period in my lifetime (I’m 29), except reaching the FA Cup final (which we then lost) and the Payet season.

I am disappointed in this window but, bigger picture, this is the best West Ham have ever been for me.
  • My most dissapointing time was travelling up to Old Trafford to play the third replay against Stoke. Booby Moore ended up in goal and we lost 3-2. The train journey home was painfully dissapointing
  • edited February 2022
    That FA cup final had me in tears. Still can't watch it.
  • Yeah, squashed up on the train back from Cardiff was no fun. Would have been a real hoot had we won.
  • WHU, All very good examples. Losing @ Ewood Park once to Blackburn 7-1 wasn't clever but I balance that up by seeing us win 5-1 at Grimsby & Swansea. The move to the LS filled me with an expectation of greater times which may have been partially fulfilled. I had a similar level of expectation for the January Transfer Window that is why I feel so disappointed.
  • It's the Gerrard equaliser..... just being reminded of it made my heart sink as it did on the day.
  • Rangnick saying that the Greenwood situation caused the block on Lingard leaving.
  • Neil Shipperley and that CP team beating us in the play off final...
  • Blimey there’s been so many over the years.The CWC final loss in Brussels, getting relegated with 42 (?) points,selling some wonderful players ( Cottee,Lampard, Carrick, Rio, Joe Cole,right back to Martin Peters amongst many others),’86 when we lost at home to Chelsea with one game to go which blew our chance of winning the league.

They’re just a few off the top of my head, there’s loads more, BUT every now and again we get our day in the sun and there’s been more of them in the last couple of years.
  • Tell you what Slacker, that 2003 relegation was a real sliding doors moment.

Imagine if we kept that team together and Brooking was convinced to stay on as manager.

It was bad enough at the time, but when you look back it's ridiculous. We lost Cole, Johnson, Defoe, Kanoute, Sinclair and Di Canio that summer. Carrick went the following year. That probably hurts more now than it did at the time.
  • Yeah it was so hard to watch our young stars pulling up trees in a Chelsea shirt.
  • I agree with the fact that there have been many greater disappointments such as the Gérard equaliser.
    But this window is one of the most disappointed I have been with regard to decisions/outcomes off the pitch.
    We were in control of the transfer window, but chose not to spend.
  • I can list a fair few disappointments from the past but, for me, its a case of being given hope and genuine reasons to think we can progress and the January door being slammed in your face saying hold your horses youre West Ham dont even go there! It really is an ingrained sense of curbing expectations over many decades and then wondering maybe its going to be an era where we shine and allowing that to filter through emotionally.

Jorderz post actually made me a little sad for the younger members. At least as a veteran supporter I've felt the highs of Cup Final wins. I always liked our promotion seasons as we all looked forward to winning most weeks. My only fear of relegations in the past were the loss of players I bonded with and in more recent times, the financial implications. But in base terms, West Ham, win or lose always played good football and were entertaining to watch when I was younger.

Lastly, I'll list a disappointment example so far not mentioned.... League Cup final and Liverpools goal when Sammy Lee was on the ground and dipped under the ball as it went past him and in the net. The want for the ref to disallow and the realization I was going to witness my first final defeat (as I'd been spoiled by '75 and '80) kicked in. Little did I realize that I'd have to put up with another 40 years of rare celebration until the recent hopes of us competing regularly at the top end of the league were hopefully temporarily knocked into reality. I just hope the team is very much strengthened in the Summer rather than the lack of ambition being cited by those who ask to be transferred
  • Baz we didn’t lose that final that day as a Ray Stewart penalty levelled it at the death. The replay was galling as we took the lead but didn’t hold on.
  • See! That what Sammy Lee dislike and disappointment does to you over the decades :) The memory of the disappointment got in the way of remembering the bigger picture. I obviously carried on the annoyance of Lee into the replay and subsequent disappointment haha. At least this has told me that the trauma was long term and I condensed it all into one game :anguished:

Short version, as soon as I read your post Thorn the penny dropped :awesome:
  • https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60212510

This article interested me and reminded me of how Brentford go about their transfer business. Something in this area, as opposed to Newman for example, wouldnt do any harm I reckon. This paragraph drew me in... 'One key evolution in Monchi's recruitment has been the use of data and artificial intelligence in scouting, player development and training. Two years ago the club created a department specifically for this purpose'.
  • Sully will probably tell the computer what players it should compute hahaha
  • "Computer says no..."
  • Sully will probably tell the computer what players it should compute hahaha

Sullivan: Inputs Raphinha 50M
    Computer: Probably best we buy both his legs
  • I know it’s sad but when the club is really all you have left it’s devastating
  • It's not sad Aberdeen - hopefully the team will be back refreshed and we can get back to some of our form of before, regardless of transfers, to bring some joy back. I don't think the other teams around us have strengthened much, or at all, during this window so maybe we'll get away with it!
  • I know it’s sad but when the club is really all you have left it’s devastating

There's still hope. I was more angry on Monday night than I have been for a long time. Like, proper stewing on things.

But seeing the players in training, they look really happy and relaxed. The first team is still very good and could still deliver this season if luck goes our way where injuries are concerned.

And as much as I think Moyes got some things wrong in the last couple of windows, he's strengthened the squad in other ways. Our resilience and spirit is as high as I can remember.
  • OCS I agree we still have one of our best teams in along time and there is plenty to look forward to . We rarely get rolled over by anybody we might lose but usually only be one and be in the game until the end . I can't remember the last time we got properly stuffed which used to be a regular thing. Fingers crossed that the next window will be better. I have to say we have so many likeable players aswell that you can let them make a mistake or two because they seem to enjoy playing for the club and each other.
  • It can work, all we need is everyone currently available to stay fit and in form over the next four months.
  • It can work, all we need is everyone currently available to stay fit and in form over the next four months.

As do Man U, Arsenal, Spurs and Wolves.

Remaining games against current top eight -

Man U - City (A), Spurs (H), Liverpool (A), Arsenal (A), Chelsea (H)
    West Ham - Wolves (H), Liverpool (A), Spurs (A), Chelsea (A), Arsenal (H), City (H)
    Arsenal - Wolves (A), Wolves (H), Man U (H), W Ham (A), Chelsea (A), Liverpool (H), Spurs (A)
    Spurs - Wolves (H), City (A), Man U (A), W Ham (H), Liverpool (A), Arsenal (H)
    Wolves - Arsenal (H), Spurs (A), Arsenal (A), W Ham (A), City (H), Chelsea (A), Liverpool (A)
  • edited February 2022
    Yarmo breaching advertising rules.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60265337
  • West Ham would never have anything to do with betting…
  • West Ham would never have anything to do with betting…

Wouldn't bet on that =)
  • edited February 2022
    I genuinely wasn’t bothered by our window.

We have a good starting 11 & some reasonable substitute options, albeit we could make it even stronger with a couple of extra players. Reality is our subs bench now consists of players who a few years ago were starters (Diop, Fredericks, Masuaku, Noble, Lanzini, Yarmolenko, plus Vlasic, Kral etc). A lot is made of the striker option, it’s not hindered our progress for two years. Bowen is a good enough forward player to replace Antonio when needed. I appreciate people feel this is not ideal, but when you have Fornals, Lanzini, Benrahma, Vlasic & Yarmolenko, plus the option to go 3-4-3, it’s enough to cover the loss of Bowen on the right.

I don’t get the sarky comments from fans on social media (not here) about Newman, implying what is he doing here. He’s going to be in the process of setting up a recruitment structure & system & the results of that won’t necessarily be seen in January. I also don’t get the critics of Moyes because he wants to sign a certain standard of player, based on his (almost) flawless record of signings since coming back.

We have one current injury. Yes, it can change, but at the moment it’s one injury. The rest of our squad is available & fit. The spirits are good, the mentality is good, Zouma is back. We’ll be fine.