West Ham recruitment and general grumbling

Comments

• If there was a 'disagree' button I'd be clicking it!

We lose plenty when we take Bowen from his normal position. He's not a center forward and that applies even more to Yarmo who is a one trick pony at best and plain pony at worst
  • Bazshuayi said:

If there was a 'disagree' button I'd be clicking it!

We lose plenty when we take Bowen from his normal position. He's not a center forward and that applies even more to Yarmo who is a one trick pony at best and plain pony at worst

Baz, what have you got against ponies? Have you had a bad experience on one? =)
  • Bazshuayi said:

If there was a 'disagree' button I'd be clicking it!

Baz, what have you got against ponies? Have you had a bad experience on one? =)
    Yes, every time I get close to one they suddenly cut in onto their left hoof and start kicking things at me! Luckily, they rarely hit their intended target ;)
  • So what about when Moyes said there were funds available to spend. I'm confused.
  • Only West Ham could bring in a new head of recruitment get a so called investor to put a few million in the club and then buy nobody when we desperately needed new additions.
    If gold and Sullivan had wanted to take the club forwards they could have bought players but it is clear they are only ever in it for financial gain.
    All they ever do is make noise and false promises. How many players were we linked to? Just noise.
    They want to sell Rice and I feel they will sell in the summer and then surely it can’t be too long before they sell the club and they will have done very nicely.
  • If Moyes doesn't start giving our young players match time, I'll be back moaning on volume 10..
  • The young players have got to be good enough. All we seem to do with the odd exception is sell them off for a small fee. The silence from the GSB & David Moyes is deafening. I hope they are hanging their heads in shame. As various people have said we will struggle to replace the several players who won't be here, or at least shouldn't be next season if you weren't able to bring in two new players last month.
  • edited February 2022
    Hamstew said:

So what about when Moyes said there were funds available to spend. I'm confused.

It's all such a mess, isn't it. I mean, there was clearly money available; Moyes said it himself. But how much in reality?

The 'bids' we made would suggest a minimum of £50m, but those were for players that were never going to be sold for £50m, which supports Simon Jordan's point around 'phantom bids'. May as well have offered £100m for Haaland because a) it won't be accepted and b) the player wouldn't come here. It's easy to throw money at impossible deals.

The fact that we wouldn't pay £15m for Caleta-Car, on paper an ideal replacement for Ogbonna and, let's face it, cheap in the current market, makes me think that the actual budget was a lot less than we were lead to believe. Add that to Moyes' reluctance to sign anyone he doesn't deem as perfect and it becomes a lot clearer as to why nothing happened.

I also think there's a power battle at play. Ex has said that a number of players were offered to Moyes by Sullivan that the manager turned down, and Sullivan was evidently not prepared to pay for the players that Moyes actually wanted, hence the stalemate.

I do admire Moyes stance of not just taking anyone (Sullivan has bragged in the past about bullying manager's into taking players), but that only really works if the board are prepared to then back him in getting who he does want, which they're demonstrably not. What I think we've seen is partly the result of two stubborn men refusing to compromise, to the detriment of the squad.
  • The conversation between Gold Sullivan and Newman must have been interesting when he joined .
    Mr Newman tell us about how you will approach the job , your network , plans etc.
    “Well I don’t really do much and really just like going on holiday”
    Ok the jobs yours we don’t really want to spend any money .
  • I don't understand the level of anger I’m seeing from people tbh. I’m disappointed we didn’t get anyone, but I really like our squad. Could it be bigger? Yes. Could we do with more quality? Yes. But this is the best performing and most consistent West Ham I’ve known in my lifetime. I’ve enjoyed the season, and last season, and the bit of the season before after lock down more than any other period of time as a West Ham fan.
  • my anger is that we see opportunity over the last few years and need that boost to the squad from key signings and towards the back end of the season we get a key injury and drop points with no adequate replacements and we run out of steam.
  • I'm not angry about it, I'm just fed up that a really good chance of finishing 4th has been wasted. I would have been happy with just a striker and a centre back. Now unless we have an injury free 4 months, I can see us bowing out of the EL and finishing 7th or 8th and out of Europe.
  • Yeh , agree not signing a back up striker is IMO bad… We’ve had how long…..
    Personally blame dithering Moyes as much as the owners…
    He’s been around long enough and sadly had the same bad reputation before, his hesitancy and our owners don’t exactly leave us with lots of hope, and I know we’ve made some great signings in last few seasons ( Bowen / Soucek ) etc, but no striker in is a shocker….

Guess Summer will be the true answer as many players will be leaving and we will probably by then will need around 5-6 players in unless he thinks the younger players are ready to step up…
    Just another missed opportunity to press on for me…
  • Also not angry, more frustrated. It never took a genius to work out what we needed (even minimally). The opportunity to push for 4th or at least try to consolidate just below was (still is but totally not as confident now) there for all to see. Now Benni needs to come back and have a stormer of a season, Fornals to get his mojo back, Antonio needs to find that barnstorming play again, Cresswell (alongside Bowen and Rice) needs to stay fit and we have to find a way to concede less. Maybe Areola will come in and be as tight as he was at Fulham despite the pressure they were under last season. It all seems like a big fat wasted opportunity.
  • Thinking a bit more clearly now the only really pressing position we needed someone was at CB as without Oggy the defence is suspect. A striker would have been ideal but would a top striker have been prepared to act as understudy to Antonio or would he have come straight in and Antonio sat on the bench.
    As for the development squad I think Cottee was the last striker we brought through from the ranks so I don’t hold out a lot of hope from that direction.
    We just have to suck it and see how the rest of this season pans out and hope Antonio starts clicking again. I know he looks shot for parts of the games but it doesn’t seem to bother him with Jamaica although I suppose the pace and intensity is a lot less. I think most of his problems stem from his hardly scoring since the first dozen games or so and he tries too hard to get in on the act hence he shoots when players are in better positions.
  • I did worry at the start of the window that the club would want to wait until the summer when they can pick up 4 players for free in Lingard, Tarkowski, Nketiah and Johnson. That will leave us needing a LB and a CM and I think the young Scottish lad playing in Italy will be the left back and we may well try again for Phillips but I can't see that one coming off.
  • Yeah I'm not angry but I was at the time. I'm still frustrated don't get me wrong. I'm more concerned about the weirdos that want to protest at the Watford game. Especially as that game was earmarked by many as the game where little Isla Caton (if you know the story) is to be remembered.
  • alderz said:

I don't understand the level of anger I’m seeing from people tbh. I’m disappointed we didn’t get anyone, but I really like our squad. Could it be bigger? Yes. Could we do with more quality? Yes. But this is the best performing and most consistent West Ham I’ve known in my lifetime. I’ve enjoyed the season, and last season, and the bit of the season before after lock down more than any other period of time as a West Ham fan.

I'm disappointed we didn't sign anybody, and confused by our 'strategy' (at least based on the scattergun bids we made).

But it's far from the end of the world. The players we have done so well over the last season and a half and I think they'll continue to do well.

I know people are saying 'this is our chance to push on etc'. Well, every team in the league feels the same except city.

Liverpool and Chelsea might have closed the gap if they'd made some great signings.

Spurs, Arsenal and Man United might have given themselves a great chance of securing top four with good business.

Wolves and Brighton might have forced themselves into the mix.

Palace, Leicester, Villa and Southampton might have boosted European chances.

Etc etc

Everybody has something to play for and everybody could be better. It isn't just a West Ham problem. West Ham finished 6th last season and have been 4th or 5th all of this season.

We're a long way from the team that needs the most improving.
  • Like the rest of the comments, not angry just disappointed, especially no striker in….

But protests?? Haven’t they got anything better to do, that’s crazy IMO
  • It seems the perceived wisdom on here and elsewhere is that Declan will go for big bucks in the summer. It will probably happen and it will be hard to take and even harder to see him in a Man. City or Chelsea shirt BUT we’ll carry on and he’ll be replaced by another fantastic player at some point in the future, either from within or without and the whole cycle will begin again. It’s what West Ham and clubs at our level do, we’re nowhere near competing with the really big boys financially., but neither are we a club like Ajax who for years now have had a production line of wonderful footballers who are nearly always sold on. We’re somewhere in between.
    I get the disappointment and frustration around this last window, it does seem pretty obvious that we needed reinforcements but for whatever reason it didn’t happen but it’s done now and maybe we should put our angst to bed and get on with enjoying the rest of what could still be a great season for us.It might all go horribly wrong but that’s what supporting West Ham is about isn’t it? Otherwise surely we’d be supporting Man. City.
  • I'm fine with Rice going but to see him in a Man U or Chelsea shirt will be hard to take. I pray City come in for him if he is to go.
  • edited February 2022
    alderz said:

But this is the best performing and most consistent West Ham I’ve known in my lifetime. I’ve enjoyed the season, and last season, and the bit of the season before after lock down more than any other period of time as a West Ham fan.

I think a lot of people would agree with this. It's certainly the most I've enjoyed being a West Ham fan since the mid-90s era under Redknapp.

But my frustration, and yes, there's still some anger there, is that I feel like we haven't capitalised on that, either in the summer and especially in January.

The first team is still very good, but we're trusting to luck that Antonio rediscovers his early season form and Zouma stays fit. Without those I think we're going to struggle for the rest of the season. Throw in the dip in quality if Cresswell is missing, and the lack of trust that Moyes has in certain players, and squad wise I think we're very short of where we need to be to compete on three fronts.

I dearly hope I'm wrong and we get top six and maybe win the EL or FA Cup, but with the squad we have, I don't think we we'll end up close to any of that. Fatigue, injuries and a lack of options will catch up with us and I think we'll end up 8th or 9th. In itself, not the end of the world, but it's the knock-on effect; our better players, having experienced European football might want out. The players Moyes wants might not want to come to a club without European football.

All conjecture of course and we'll know by May whether my fears were misplaced, but the good times that you've described alderz, we all want to continue. And we had an opportunity last month to make it more likely, but didn't.
  • As Bazshuayi posted earlier if there was a disagree button I would have used it on some of the posts above. I don't want to be modded so I best stay on onside as I don't want it to get personal as my opinion differ with some of the recent posts.
  • opinions differ its allowed, we all see things differently but does not mean we do not support the club
  • Yeah, post away Fortune. Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's on here. As long as things don't get personal then you're free to say what you want.
  • Still no spin, sorry, comment, from the club or DM about transfers or lack of. Thought they might have made some comment
  • It would be a lose-lose for them to say anything though wouldn't it?
  • Nobes has said something, well done Nobes for speaking out for the club
  • edited February 2022

As Bazshuayi posted earlier if there was a disagree button I would have used it on some of the posts above. I don't want to be modded so I best stay on onside as I don't want it to get personal as my opinion differ with some of the recent posts.

I hope when I said I disagree with a comment (100% haha) it wasnt taken as personal as it certainly wasnt intended to be so. I am totally fine with people disagreeing with me.

That said, as the great Brian Clough once said... “We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right”
  • Baz, I was actually in support of you. I think it may have been one of the old Liverpool managers who said no team cannot be improved upon.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10467287/West-Hams-failure-sign-January-left-season-risk-COLLAPSE.html

This makes for an interesting read.