Euro 2020 Group Stage Thread

Comments

• Slacker said:

Best game of the tournament by a mile. We’ve seen Yarmo do that before haven’t we?

We certainly have, but I personally didn't think he had it in him any more, as his performances in the last 18 months suggested he was done. If Moyes can get him playing for us like he does for Ukraine then he's more than good enough to stick around and feature in the squad next season. But it's a big if.
  • Let’s see if he does it throughout the tournament as well
  • Can he do it on a, hot, humid, Thursday afternoon, in Bucharest..
  • edited June 2021
    Looking forward to cheering on our bouncing Czechs later.

I just spotted this (apologies if it is already well known, but I hadn't seen it before.)

In May Mark Noble hailed Coufal and Soucek’s down-to-earth approach. “They’ve been unbelievable. Coufal’s a machine, he loves football. They’re great fellas, they set up a head tennis net and play an hour of head tennis against each other, then an hour later you see Coufal at the bus stop getting the bus to Chigwell or something. I sent a picture to one of my mates of him sitting at a bus stop waiting for the 86. It’s mad.”
  • Imagine seeing Coufal on the 86. All the way to Stratford for some shopping.
  • Think the Yarmo issue shows why tournament performances should be taken with a pinch of salt

He has had enough time with us and we know he just isn't good enough for us, and wasn't good enough for Dortmund

If he has a great tournament, great, but we should still look to sell him
  • He'd have to change buses to get to Chigwell, get the 167 from Ilford Library

Coufal gets the bus home
    Coufal gets the bus home
    Lala la la
    Lala la la
  • Its been a while since we've had a bunch of genuinely likeable players. The Czechs are a class pair :)
  • Bazshuayi said:

Its been a while since we've had a bunch of genuinely likeable players. The Czechs are a class pair :)

I think that the rise of the clubs social media presence has helped with this. Getting a look behind the curtain and seeing the players as people and not just footballers has been really nice. I saw a video recently of Ogbonna and Yarmolenko tasting food from each others counties while Cresswell officiated, and it made me really like Ogbonna as a guy, rather than just as a brilliant and solid defender.
  • I hope the Czechs batter the Scots :p
  • Hmmm, Scotland beat Czech Rep 1-0 and 2-1 in the UEFA Nations League last year

Soucek and Coufal were both in the starting XI for the 1-0 loss in October but they missed the 2-1 loss at home in September as the entire squad that had beaten Slovakia 3-0 the week before were in Covid quarantine
  • edited June 2021

I hope the Czechs batter the Scots :p

Excuse the obvious bias, I hope the Czechs have a nightmare (and all their players are priced at less than £1m for West Ham), Scotland win 3-1 - a Win-Win!

Luckily I’ve got my West Ham sofa to hide behind for 90mins 😀🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿⚒
  • I was raised in Essex, but born in Scotland. My Dad is the most Scottish man you've ever seen - like a more patriotic William Wallace.

So definitely cheering on Scotland. I won't mind if Soucek and Coufal get a goal each, as long as Scotland get 3.
  • My dad was born in Scotland but the family moved to Dagenham when he was 3 months old.

My Grandfather had a serious Scottish accent, there were times I didn't have a clue what he was saying

I won't be supporting either team, just hoping for an entertaining game before I have to go to work
  • I'm cheering on West Ham's 2023 squad as they take on the Scots.
  • Robertson just received the Coufal smile.
  • Major football tournament
    ‘WFH’
    Go on then 😆
  • Is this Sideshow Bob we are supposed to be interested in?
  • Yeah. Doesn’t look great so far
  • 😂 😂 apparently so
  • edited June 2021
    This commentary is so biased :o
  • edited June 2021
    MrsGrey said:

Robertson stands on Masopust's foot; no comment. Coufal stands on Robertson's foot; "definite foul", "Coufal got away with one there".

I watching (WFH) on mute as of that point.
  • MrsGrey said:

• MrsGrey said:

Robertson stands on Masopust's foot; no comment. Coufal stands on Robertson's foot; "definite foul", "Coufal got away with one there".

I watching (WFH) on mute as of that point.
    That was the exact thing that prompted me to post.
  • Yeah I’m on mute also
    Maybe it makes me feel more productive 😂
  • Grant Hanley looks decent
  • Kral hasn't looked great, but none of the Czech team has, to be fair.

• Robertson is dominating Coufal easily
  • Robertson is so clearly the best player on the field
  • Coufal assist for the Czech opener
This discussion has been closed.