Euro 2020 Group Stage Thread

Comments

• good start to a game
  • It's annoying watching Yarmolenko. He really could be quite good for us, but just isn't.
  • edited June 2021
    The press seem to have gone into default championship mode, acting like Southgate pulled off a tactical stroke of genius. Unless I was watching a different game we laboured without making hardly any clear cut chances against a pretty poor and uncreative Croatia. Had Sterling not managed take that chance it could have ended a very dull 0-0 draw as it wasn't like we created a hat full of chances.

If you look at that team with superstars such as Kane, Foden, Mount, Rice Sterling, Rashford etc who would all costs huge transfer fees, not to mention Grielish who couldn't get a game, we should be more impressive against Croatia.

As for Harry Kane he may as well not have been on the pitch. i agree with most that Phillips looked good and I though Mount looked like he was capable at times of doing some damage in games to come. I am not sure about Pickford however, just never fills me with confidence even though he had little to do.
  • Hopefully that puts his price up
  • Possibly goal of the tournament tight there
  • some hit that by Yarmo
  • great goal yarma
  • now get a second and go for £50m
  • Best game so far.
  • Is Yarmo not a David Moyes player as he just doesn't work hard enough?
  • Mrs G, Is that yes he doesn't work hard enough?

What is the Ukraine keeper doing there?
  • He slows a lot of attacks down, which for a counter-attacking team is not ideal.

Technically a very good player, but not a Moyes player.
  • The press seem to have gone into default championship mode, acting like Southgate pulled off a tactical stroke of genius. Unless I was watching a different game we laboured without making hardly any clear cut chances against a pretty poor and uncreative Croatia. Had Sterling not managed take that chance it could have ended a very dull 0-0 draw as it wasn't like we created a hat full of chances.

If you look at that team with superstars such as Kane, Foden, Mount, Rice Sterling, Rashford etc who would all costs huge transfer fees, not to mention Grielish who couldn't get a game, we should be more impressive against Croatia.

As for Harry Kane he may as well not have been on the pitch. i agree with most that Phillips looked good and I though Mount looked like he was capable at times of doing some damage in games to come. I am not sure about Pickford however, just never fills me with confidence even though he had little to do.

I thought we were by far the better team, completely comfortable throughout, kept the last World Cup runner ups at arms length, and looked the only team like scoring. I think everything was good.
  • Mrs G, Is that yes he doesn't work hard enough?

What is the Ukraine keeper doing there?

No.

He has moments like this that tease you but he generally is frustrating, slowing down the game with unnecessary stepovers in front of a defender but then never going past them. I just don’t think he suits the league though he’s capable of amazing goals.
  • We need to offload Yarmo. Hopefully a team somewhere thinks he's worth a punt.
  • He's not lazy, fortune.

What makes you say he's not a Moyes player? Can you elucidate?
  • Hopefully he keeps performing for Ukraine and someone buys him off this tournament. :)

His work ethic is one of a few reasons he hasn’t worked out. He’s had a lot of injuries, but he’s also quite slow for our league and takes 300 touches every time he gets the ball.
  • Mrs G, I think quite a few of the comments made by some the other contributors have about covered it for me. I will always be grateful for his goal v CFC in 2020 but he didn't appear much for us last season and it wasn't down purely to him being injured or have I missed something?
  • I hear what you are all saying about Yarmo ,But i kind of like him ,Funny how you take to some players and not others
  • edited June 2021
    There's no doubt the Guy sometimes has it, he just doesn't always show it and to be fair he does seem to slow us down. I can't understand why, he's definitely a decent player when the strategy suits
  • Mrs G, I think quite a few of the comments made by some the other contributors have about covered it for me. I will always be grateful for his goal v CFC in 2020 but he didn't appear much for us last season and it wasn't down purely to him being injured or have I missed something?

Ah, opinion by democracy. :-)
  • edited June 2021

Mrs G, I think quite a few of the comments made by some the other contributors have about covered it for me. I will always be grateful for his goal v CFC in 2020 but he didn't appear much for us last season and it wasn't down purely to him being injured or have I missed something?

I think he actually was injured a few times but there wasn’t much fuss because by the end no one expected him to get into the team.

Just checked transfermarkt and he had three 20+ day injuries this season
  • MrsGrey said:

He's not lazy, fortune.

What makes you say he's not a Moyes player? Can you elucidate?

I think what Moyes wants from a forward, more than anything else, is a turn of pace. Antonio, Bowen and Lingard are his preferred forward options and all are quick and play at pace.

Yarmolenko, as technically gifted as he is, isn't particularly quick and slows down attacks. It would be ok if he slowed it down to then take on his man, but most of the time he seems to hold the ball up, perform a number of stepovers, and ultimately do nothing with it.

Certainly capable of good things (the goal that beat Chelsea was probably his defining moment with us) but he hasn't been used a great deal by Moyes in the limited time he's been fit, which suggests he's not favoured by the manager.
  • edited June 2021
    I think he may not be suited to the Premiership as I think it's a little bit faster and a little bit more physical than say Italy or Spain. I think he is a good technical player who is a danger in and around the penalty area. I think he appears to slow down attacks because we have been looking to counter attack in many games and he has no pace and his inclination seems to be to hold up the ball and look for an outlet, where as Bowen, Antonio and Lingard are quick to move it forward and more direct.

I think if we got a decent offer I would look to let him go but if not he may find his place in the Europa league and cup games. A capable squad is so much more a necessity next season due to extra games, we got away with a pretty thin squad this year because until late on we escaped major injuries (Antionio aside as we knew that was coming every 8 weeks), and because Dawson stepped up massively to fill in for Ogbonna. We will need 18 players who can start without weakening the overall capability of the team next season in my view. This means what most have said, a capable stand in at DM, CB and most of all a striker.
  • I think Spurs should buy him as a replacement for Kane. They play at the same speed ;)
  • As a player I just done like him at all.
  • Best game of the tournament by a mile. We’ve seen Yarmo do that before haven’t we?
This discussion has been closed.