Euro 2020 Group Stage Thread

1121314151618»

Comments

• alderz said:

Won’t be shocked, but will be surprised if we go through to next round.

Same here. Germany aren't quite the force they were a few years ago, but they've scored six goals already whereas we haven't looked that threatening at all.

Obviously it's a one-off game so anything could happen, but if I were a betting man, I'd go for Germany by a couple.
    On the flip side we’ve not conceded a goal and they’ve conceded five. They look pretty dodgy at the back
    Saka or Sterling against Hummels will be fun.

If England go to a 5 at the back, I'd like to see Saka play the LWB position. He's done it well before. He's disciplined and a hard worker but also can be an attacking threat from that position like no one else really.
  • Hungary had fun going straight down the middle against Germany. Which England rarely does. Southgate may go with wingbacks... Sakho and Trippier, and Henderson as a more attacking MF, Rice or Phillips sitting deep. Which leaves Sterling, Kane and one other. He has so many ways to mess this up....
  • Still can't work out if Rice will play on Tuesday. Did he take him off to rest him or did he play his starting line up in the second half. Can't help but think he will try and start Henderson. If that was the case why not take Philips off. But then Rice has been playing that deep position all tournament so is more used to it.
  • I noticed yesterday that Henderson was doing press conferences. May have no barring but unusual for a squad player to do. I think he's in Southgate's plans
  • yoyo said:

I noticed yesterday that Henderson was doing press conferences. May have no barring but unusual for a squad player to do. I think he's in Southgate's plans

Isnt Henderson usually the captain if he isn't injured?

Think he's very much in Southgates plans or he wouldn't have been included, just like Maguire

Not really sure myself how Southgate will play it

For me, Rice is still the best ihat role of breaking the play but he's not been nearly dynamic enough, he's obviously being told to play a certain way but he should be a bit more positive, doesnt look anything like the player who plays for us
  • Wasn’t it usually Rice and Henderson until his injury? I don’t think Rice will lose his place to Phillips.

Rice has been frustratingly restrained but he always has for England and has kept his place.
  • I think Southgate knows how good Rice is and will play him in every game. But we’ll see.
  • Rice is up next for a news conference.
  • That's good. I may have been reading too much into the Henderson one, although the two together might be a bit more solid next game up. I think we'll see changes
  • If Sancho has been ripping German defences apart all season long then he needs to start.
  • Isnt Henderson usually the captain if he isn't injured?

Simple answer, no.

Henderson has been captain 7 times, Kane 34 times

The armband swapped between them over the 12 matches between played June 2017 and June 2018 as both of them were injured for short periods but since then its been mostly Kane
  • Henderson is a far better captain than Harry ‘fall over all game’ Kane
This discussion has been closed.