Euro 2020 Group Stage Thread

Comments

• Oh well, Scotland are portrayed as “plucky liosers” yet again!

IMO they can’t be faulted for effort, bur just aren’t good enough to really compete at this level consistently. They have a couple of great players (e.g. Robertson),

It's always going to be a problem if your only world class player is a defender, and the rest of them are average. (cf Wales)
  • IronHerb said:

Grealish did play well and so got the accolades. Vlad 'left one on him', as they say, but he kept running at their defence which always causes concern.

Freakish Grealish is an attacking midfielder so running at opposing defenders is surely what he’s meant to do…
    Southgate has got them through, top of the table, but possibly one of the most boring teams to watch IMO…
    Or are we accepting its a results business…
    England’s 2 night games have both made me fall asleep ( not joking here )….
  • Just think Southgate suffers from the same thing that many of his predecessors have; picking players on reputation rather than form (despite his claims to the contrary). It's possible that he's hoping they can play their way into form, but I'm not sure that's the right approach in a knock-out tournament.

He does, but I actually think we suffer from too much rotation of the squad at times. If you look at most international teams you could name again least 8 of their starting XI no problem. With us, it’s probably only Kane and Pickford who we knew for certain would start this tournament.

Southgate has said before about creating a club style atmosphere, but I don’t think you can do that when you’re chopping and changing a lot.
  • MrsGrey said:

Oh well, Scotland are portrayed as “plucky liosers” yet again!

IMO they can’t be faulted for effort, bur just aren’t good enough to really compete at this level consistently. They have a couple of great players (e.g. Robertson),

It's always going to be a problem if your only world class player is a defender, and the rest of them are average. (cf Wales)
    Can't help that the next best player is also a left back.
  • I think Rice is doing exactly what Southgate is asking him to do, which is a far more restrained role than for West Ham.

He is providing structure and solidity to the team and I honestly think he’s one of the first names on the team sheet for Southgate.

I imagine it’s a huge challenge for Rice to constantly go against his instincts and sit ALL the time, so I think he’s doing a really professional and mature job for a 22 year old.
  • I fear we will not reach our potential in performance and results in this championship due to southgate not getting the best from Rice and also sticking with Kane through being afraid to drop him. I can accept the comments about Stirling not being great and out of form but I can't argue with the fact he has scored, Kane could have played as awfully as he haS if he had put two goals away, he has done nothing. He must give Sancho a start in the next match in my view. I fear Kane will start we will get behind and he will change it all too late.
  • DCL really should have been given at least a half yesterday, Kane looks a shadow of his best atm, yet he's still getting all the minutes.
  • I really don't think Rice is the key to England playing a more free flowing style of football.
  • I tuned into the 2nd half of England. Saw Kane fall over a few times and went back to building my bike
  • edited June 2021
    Watching the Portugal France game. Var has been good so far but I think that should have been overturned ( the penalty)
  • It shouldn't have been given in the first place. Shocker.
  • From ref gestures while talking to the players, it seems he saw a forearm shove... Surely the var could have seen there wasn't.
  • Opposite view if that happens anywhere else on the pitch is it a free kick?
  • Talk about group of death ,This is great
  • Amazing few minutes:
    Portugal equalize - Germany going out
    Germany equalize - Hungary going out
    Hungary score - Germany going out
  • I've been watching the cricket.....have I missed anything? =)
  • edited June 2021

Opposite view if that happens anywhere else on the pitch is it a free kick?

Sometimes given, sometimes not given.
    So at the very least it's not clear cut.
    My own view ( subject to having a good look on the replay) is that it wasn't a foul.
  • Great! That's England going out on Tuesday.
  • Nah, I don't think so.
  • Reckon so. Really can't see us out-scoring Germany.
  • Our squad is good enough but whether we can put it together on the day is another thing, that is what Germany are so good at.
  • Portugal are great to watch. So comfortable in possession
  • Sanchez would be a wonderful replacement for Rice
  • Reckon so. Really can't see us out-scoring Germany.

I genuinely think it’s 50-50. This Germany team is a bit like us, I think. They’ve got a good squad, but they can’t seem to get it together consistently on the pitch and their defence is prone to mistakes. No result would shock me next week
  • Won’t be shocked, but will be surprised if we go through to next round.

Same here. Germany aren't quite the force they were a few years ago, but they've scored six goals already whereas we haven't looked that threatening at all.

Obviously it's a one-off game so anything could happen, but if I were a betting man, I'd go for Germany by a couple.
  • Cant see anything other than a German curb stomping, the knockout part of the tournament is where the big teams (bar England) usually come online.

Same here. Germany aren't quite the force they were a few years ago, but they've scored six goals already whereas we haven't looked that threatening at all.

Obviously it's a one-off game so anything could happen, but if I were a betting man, I'd go for Germany by a couple.
    On the flip side we’ve not conceded a goal and they’ve conceded five. They look pretty dodgy at the back
  • alderz said:

Won’t be shocked, but will be surprised if we go through to next round.

On the flip side we’ve not conceded a goal and they’ve conceded five. They look pretty dodgy at the back
    So we're going with 0-0 and then penalties...
  • Oh goody
This discussion has been closed.