Euro 2020 Group Stage Thread

Comments

• So who might be playing against England in the Round of 16? And what happens if teams tie on points and goal difference?
  • I think the first tie breaker is the match between the two teams themselves.
    So if my maths is correct it would mean the following:
    England win - top of the group
    England draw - 2nd
    England lose and Scotland lose - 2nd
    England lose and Scotland draw - 2nd
    England lose by one goal and Scotland win by one goal - 2nd or 3rd, depending on the correct tie breaker (goals scored?)
    England lose by one goal and Scotland win by at least two goals - 3rd
    England lose by more than one and Scotland win - 3rd

By the time we play we should have a rough idea if 3rd would get us through. If I remember correctly then 4 points were enough during the last WC so I guess we should already be through to the next round.
  • A draw is best but I reckon Czech republic will want to come 2nd also, meaning an own goal from a corner with five minutes to go is not out of the question.
  • Not sure Coufal would go for that
  • edited June 2021
    We must not go for a draw. Chances are we meet France in quarters anyway.
    I want to see an 11 with one CDM preferably Rice with Bellingham. Grealish and Foden on out wide.
  • What we don’t want to do is meet Italy at any stage.
  • John Hartson is more one eyed than the comms in the Turkey game.
  • What we don’t want to do is meet Italy at any stage.

The teams who start well very rarely keep it up the whole tournament.
  • Thoughts on the Ampadu red? The three Welsh pundits think it was never a red, but what do the neutrals think?

I've only just seen it but it looked like a red to me (in the modern game, at least).
  • the ref on ref watch for them said red as this was set out before the tournament as the sort of thing refs would look out for.
  • Thoughts on the Ampadu red? The three Welsh pundits think it was never a red, but what do the neutrals think?

I've only just seen it but it looked like a red to me (in the modern game, at least).

It's a harsh red to me; it's not pretty, but I'd be disappointed if a West Ham player got sent off for it.

I hate having to agree with the Welsh pundits having listened to Hartson's extremely biased commentary all game, but that's my take on it.
  • I think if they’ve set it in the rules then it’s the right decision. Should it be in the rules? Maybe a little harsh but I think it could easily have caused a pretty bad injury. Feels like something we usually see yellow for but think a red is fair.
  • It's a tough one to call. At first look I thought it was a stamp on the foot which have been getting yellows but looking again it was on the ankle so the red was not out of the question.
  • I thought in the PL that would be a yellow. Not up to date on the rules, though.
  • I thought harsh. If the Italian players foot lands half a CM back he steps on his foot and not his ankle and it’s not a red. It didn’t look malicious to me, it just looked like unfortunate timing more than anything
  • I though it was pretty harsh. There have been a few yellows or even nothing (Sterling) depending on how much of the foot was caught. But it wasn't a clear and obvious error so I think it was ok that VAR did nothing.
  • MrsGrey said:

Forget the platitudes, he says.

Omg, if only we could!!!!!!

those duck billed platitudes are the worst though. I always mute them. Yes, I am leaving the site til tomorrow as penance
  • Billy Gilmour has tested positive for CV19.

Not sure what this means for the Scotland and England team. Presumably nothing as players are being routinely tested anyway?
  • edited June 2021
    Reports so far simply saying he has to isolate for 10 days, and will miss the next match.

As you say, they are all being tested all the time anyway ...
  • Lucky Croatia
  • Billy Gilmour is no Lionel Messi. Scotland winning or losing against Croatia isn't dependent on Billy Gilmour.
  • Billy Gilmour is no Lionel Messi. Scotland winning or losing against Croatia isn't dependent on Billy Gilmour.

To quote Monty Python, "He's not the Messi(ah), he's a very naughty boy".
  • The press and pundits were raving about Gilmour after the England game although I only saw the highlights
  • The press and pundits were raving about Gilmour after the England game although I only saw the highlights

That must have been a quick watch.
  • Team I would like to see tomorrow
    Back to a back 3

Pickford
    Stones Maguire Mings
    Trippier Chillwell
    Bellingham Rice
    Foden Rashford Grealish

Think we need to get Maguire some game time for the later stages
    Tripper for set pieces. Against Scotland these were awful.
    Foden was the only player who offered anything last game.
    Bellingham for freshness, enthusiasm and he is some player.
    Rashford get some pace in the final third.
    Grealish great hair
  • If he starts Rice and Phillips tomorrow i don't think we win the game.
  • David Blaine the Magician/illusionist is reported to be gutted at the minute.
    He has discovered his 44 day record of hanging around in a box doing nothing at all
    has been smashed by Harry Kane
  • The team i would like to see tomorrow is the czech team . =)
This discussion has been closed.