Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• Lukerz said:

So it looks like Vlasic has been agreed & is all ready for completion but it seems there may be a last minute chat with Lingard & Utd, after today’s game, to see where he is at & any change or heart. We would obvs need to then submit a bit Man Utd deem acceptable. It seems, if not, Vlasic will be signed. Can’t see us getting both.

I think this is it. I think Vlasic is being used as leverage almost, to try to force Man Utd to accept our Lingard offer.

To be honest, I just can't see us spending another £25m. I think it'll be Lingard or Barkley on loan. Vlasic seems almost too good to be true.
    If something is usually too good to be true the chances are that it probably is

Of the two, only one of him or Linaard has shown they can cut it in the Prem

Vlasic is the more attractive signing on paper, but how often do we get burnt on these types of deals?

I'd be happy with either, don't think we need both though
  • edited August 2021
    Claret & Hugh reporting Lingard is travelling/has travelled to London to meet with Moyes this evening
  • Is Lingard allowed to do that if nothing has been agreed with Manchester United?
  • alderz said:

The idea that we’d spend £45m-£50m on two signings doesn’t seem unreasonable to me, given most reports said we had between £45m and £75m in total. Moyes wants quality over quantity, and you have to pay for quality. The only reason the club won’t pay that for Lingard is because it’s a crazy fee for a 28 year old with a year in their contract.

That said, I’ve never seen Vlasic play, so I struggle to see him as ‘too good to be true’, personally.

I've had a soft spot for Croatia since Slav first signed so have always made a point of watching them. Vlasic has looked good whenever I've seen him play for the national team, but I'm not a follower of the Russian league so have no idea what his domestic form is like (although the numbers look good).

Good player, good age, good European and international experience, seems like he genuinely wants to join and the deal has come from nowhere and seems to have gone without a hitch. That's what I mean by too good to be true.
  • Is Lingard allowed to do that if nothing has been agreed with Manchester United?

I've noticed in the last couple of transfer windows that this has changed a lot. We used to basically see it as tapping up but now you regularly see reports of managers exchanging texts with players and quite often of personal terms being agreed before/alongside a bid from a club.
  • We are second choice for Lingard. Move on. Vlasic seems a better option anyway for the money.

I've noticed in the last couple of transfer windows that this has changed a lot. We used to basically see it as tapping up but now you regularly see reports of managers exchanging texts with players and quite often of personal terms being agreed before/alongside a bid from a club.
    I think the club have to give permission to a player to explore options, after which convos can happen even if nothing agreed between the clubs as such.
  • Yeah but I think this is happening far more often than before. Traditionally personal talks seemed to only follow clubs talking.
  • I am surprised Lingard is happy to waste the momentum he generated at the end of last season. He really was having a purple patch with us, got himself into the England squad & is now happy to sit it out most weeks, watching his team-mates from the stand. Surely there is some late drama in this?
  • I don’t get where this narrative that he’s happy on United’s bench and we’re his second choice has come from. He hasn’t kicked up a fuss, he’s got on with his job. If he had said he wasn’t interested, there’s no way we’d still be pursuing, IMO
  • edited August 2021
    I hope that we haven't been messing Vlasic around just to pressurise Utd. The guy would have been considering the deal, speaking to his family etc, It's one thing to leak a story to the media but to agree terms with a player is another. So if we really aren't that bad it should mean that Vlasic is not Lingard dependent, which would be good.

It could also mean there may have been some truth in the Bowen to Liverpool Rumour and we may offload someone. I hope not.
  • edited August 2021
    Lukerz said:

So it looks like Vlasic has been agreed & is all ready for completion but it seems there may be a last minute chat with Lingard & Utd, after today’s game, to see where he is at & any change or heart. We would obvs need to then submit a bit Man Utd deem acceptable. It seems, if not, Vlasic will be signed. Can’t see us getting both.

If this is the case you can see why we appear to have problems getting signings over the line.

Anyway we'll get them both imo as I don't see Lingard talking if he's going nowhere.
  • Lingard will be a loan Ex reckons he will sign a new deal at Man U first if it happens . Would be good get another year by which time he will be 30 and probably not worth buying . I read Vlasic did not play much at Everton after big Sam came in but he was highly rated by Koeman
  • Don't understand why so many players extend their contracts only to move on loan

If they just held their ground and didnt extended then the clubs would be more likely to let them go, by extending the problem gets rolled onto the next year when they're a year older and even less likely to move on
  • Vlasic was 19 when he joined Everton, he was only there for one season with 8 appearances under Koeman and 7 under Allardyce.

Since going to CSKA Moscow on loan in the summer of 2018 it seems he's improved; 8 goals in 31 appearances the first season, 13 in 38 the next season and 12 goals in 34 last season.

He's also been capped 21 times for Croatia in the last 2 seasons, scoring 6 goals (got man of the match for Croatia's 3-1 win over Scotland)

I doubt if Fornals will be willing to give up his preferred no. 8 shirt which he wore at Hadjuk Split and CSKA. He wears no. 13 for Croatia so not lacking in self confidence
  • Man U would be stupid to offer him a new deal at his age and amount of playing time surely you shift him just for wages alone and to even get a modest fee for him.
  • It’s ptobsbly true that Lingard was travelling south last night but that’s more likely to be to meet up with England than to talk to Moyes.
  • Man Utd have just given a 36 year old a two year deal on 400k a week so why not give Lingard another 2/3 year deal they might just get some money for him in a years time. I dread to think what Man U wages bill is now
  • Man Utd have just given a 36 year old a two year deal on 400k a week so why not give Lingard another 2/3 year deal they might just get some money for him in a years time. I dread to think what Man U wages bill is now

What are the financial fair play rules now for EPL? I have lost track, especially as bigger clubs don't appear to be constrained for wages or transfer fees.
  • I doubt if Fornals will be willing to give up his preferred no. 8 shirt which he wore at Hadjuk Split and CSKA. He wears no. 13 for Croatia so not lacking in self confidence

Not that squad numbers mean much (to most), but it'll be interesting to see what we do with the No11 shirt. Vlasic won't get 8 or 13, but you would imagine 11 would appeal to an attacking midfielder.

But I would imagine we're holding that back for Lingard. If Vlasic signs today and is holding the No11 shirt, Lingard's not happening.
  • I doubt if Fornals will be willing to give up his preferred no. 8 shirt which he wore at Hadjuk Split and CSKA. He wears no. 13 for Croatia so not lacking in self confidence

Not that squad numbers mean much (to most), but it'll be interesting to see what we do with the No11 shirt. Vlasic won't get 8 or 13, but you would imagine 11 would appeal to an attacking midfielder.

But I would imagine we're holding that back for Lingard. If Vlasic signs today and is holding the No11 shirt, Lingard's not happening.
    Given there's no games for a couple of weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't allocated a number until Wednesday when we know if Lingard's coming back or not.
  • edited August 2021
  • Scothammer are we playing a game of guess what you said? Hahaha
  • Scothammer suming up his admiration and pointing out all the good things about Tottenham
  • I thought he was commenting on our new centre forward. =)
  • The weird thing about this supposed Lingard loan is...are we encouraging him to get an extension? And would we have to pay a loan fee again? It's such a weird idea - if it's really what's being spoken about.
  • Man Utd give Lingard a two year deal, we sign him on loan for the season with obligation to buy for £20m next summer. Win-win all round.
  • edited August 2021

Scothammer are we playing a game of guess what you said? Hahaha

Obviously I was summarising all the exclusive, new news this morning from Sky Sports😀
This discussion has been closed.