West Brom Away

Comments

• Big Sam stepped down
  • Sam has stepped down as WBA manager.

lets hope he envoys his retirement and doesn't take another job he deserves some rest
  • He's going to Tottenham
  • Although I admit Fornals needs to improve his finishing, his career stats aren’t great, I reckon it’s his work rate we need to acknowledge IMO.

Totally agree, and his stats can be worked on and improved.
  • We’ve finished above Arsenal for the first time in my life. This is the best season in my life.
  • yoyo said:

He's going to Tottenham

He won't want a step down from West Brom.
  • Great interview by Antonio, Rice is definitely off penalties.
  • Massive win. Very happy.
  • So should Leicester now finish 5th, having won the FA Cup, what does that mean for Europa League/Conference places?
  • Lukerz said:

So should Leicester now finish 5th, having won the FA Cup, what does that mean for Europa League/Conference places?

I assume it’s the same? The cups still went to teams that already qualified for Europe. I didn’t think it was linked to a CL spot.
  • Massive result today. As herb said, these wins at the business end are always nervy because of what’s at stake. I thought it was very ‘un-West Ham like’ to score twice in final 8 minutes to get the win after a real battle. I didn’t think we played well, yet hit the post twice, scored 3 goals & could have had another.
  • Lukerz said:

So should Leicester now finish 5th, having won the FA Cup, what does that mean for Europa League/Conference places?

I assume it’s the same? The cups still went to teams that already qualified for Europe. I didn’t think it was linked to a CL spot.
    So worst case scenario we are in the Europa Conference?
  • edited May 2021
    Lukerz said:

Lukerz said:

So worst case scenario we are in the Europa Conference?
    That's what the BBC are saying:

"David Moyes' side are guaranteed at least seventh place - and a spot in the new Europa Conference League play-off round - unless results go against them significantly on Sunday.

A point at home to Southampton would ensure sixth spot and a place in the Europa League group stage. It would also mark their highest position since 1999"
  • edited May 2021
    Lukerz said:

The only toss up is if Chelsea lose to villa and Leicester and Liverpool win. Then Chelsea win the champions league then the top 4 + Chelsea go to Champions league and only 6th place goes to Europa and 7th Europa Conference.

Essentially no more than 7 teams can go to Europe.

Outside of that Leicester winning the cup does nothing since they are guaranteed top 5, it just unlocks 6th place for the Europa League and 7th place for the conference league.
  • Is the conference league a play off round or just a whole new tournament?
  • A pointless 3rd tier new European competition. Winning it probably on par with getting to the semi final of the caraboo cup. My hope is that Spurs win it as I think it may be more embarrassing for a so called super league team to win it than not qualify for Europe.
  • I quite like the idea of being the first ever conference league winners, tbh.
  • A pointless 3rd tier new European competition. Winning it probably on par with getting to the semi final of the caraboo cup. My hope is that Spurs win it as I think it may be more embarrassing for a so called super league team to win it than not qualify for Europe.

But wasn't that the original thought about the Europa League?
    🎼 Thursday night, Channel Five 🎼

😂
  • Great interview by Antonio, Rice is definitely off penalties.

He might be captain but he's not Mark Noble...

As for the European Conference it sounds a bit like the Intertoto Cup
  • BFS got angry with Antonio, he did not listen to the playing flowing football, but the rest of the sentence , really BFS
  • alderz said:

We’ve finished above Arsenal for the first time in my life. This is the best season in my life.

In recent times 2015/16 is a close contest though? Finishing above Liverpool. If we actually stay 6th and qualify for the UEFA then this season shades it. If we end up seventh then I’m not so sure. I mean in 2015/16 we won at Anfield (which was simply unthinkable). And I do think we were easier on the eye going forward in 2015/16
  • alderz said:

We’ve finished above Arsenal for the first time in my life. This is the best season in my life.

In recent times 2015/16 is a close contest though? Finishing above Liverpool. If we actually stay 6th and qualify for the UEFA then this season shades it. If we end up seventh then I’m not so sure. I mean in 2015/16 we won at Anfield (which was simply unthinkable). And I do think we were easier on the eye going forward in 2015/16
    Yeah, it's definitely comparable. But for me personally, finishing above Arsenal never ever felt like something that would happen. When I was growing up Liverpool were not a force, and Arsenal were. And my brother is a huge Arsenal fan, so there's a bit of friendly rivalry there too.
  • Well I've sobered up a bit now, and I haven't even seen the match yet! Great evening ahead, watching the Hammers win and Spurs lose...even reading the forums has made this a magic day =)
  • You are a (bit) younger than me. When I was growing up, Liverpool were pretty much the only force!!
  • I’m old enough to remember when there was a 3rd European club competition - Fairs Cup - after the European Cup and the European Cup Winners Cup.
  • alderz said:

I think 15/16 might edge it as a standalone season. It was just so fun to watch. This season probably feels like it will be more sustainable.
  • 15/16 was more fun.

20/21 will (hopefully) have more reward.

So 20/21 edges it for me.
  • Bilic = fun (still miss him)
    Moyes = secure
  • On commentary, they mentioned among other things that last night was the the night, 56 years ago, that West Ham won the European Cup Winners' Cup (in what was called at the time one of the best, if not the best, games of football ever seen).
    Vs TSV Munich 1860, 2-0 Alan Sealey both goals within 2 minutes of each other, and for me best of all, I was there. =)

COYI, we've done it before, let's do it again.
  • Me too Bubbles. What a night.