Brighton Away

1234568»

Comments

• No excuses this evening as we had a full strength team. Due to a great run of games we elevated ourselves temporarily to 4th, I think it's fair to say we are not the 4th best team in the league, probably 7th or 8th and as they say the table does not lie so I expect that's where we will finish.

Our aim must be to retain the players who have been so good this year and strengthen the areas we have been lacking. Lingard plus a striker is the most obvious and then cover in DM.
  • Did anyone else notice we only had one keeper (Randolph) on the bench?

We drew with Brighton, as Julian Clary would say "quelle surprise"

• A bit of trivia for you .... who was Moyes managing the last time he beat Brighton?
  • Preston North End! Three players straight back in after injury meant we were always playing at 75%, but they made a difference. Biggest disappointments for me were Antonio playing so many loose passes, Lingard being kicked out of it early on, and Cresswell being a weak link. Positives were that we equalised, Benny finally scored, Rice will be fitter for the last two, and Europe is still on. COYI!!
  • Sunderland
  • edited May 2021
    No complaints from me. I thought the effort & desire to do the right things was there. We played well enough with the ball, again just struggling to break them down, but we’re not the first to struggle. I’ve watched many sides play Brighton this season away & struggle to get a kick. Everton, Villa, Spurs, Palace, Leeds.

Ironically, I think we’re playing as well at the moment as we have done at any point this season. Since the second half of the Newcastle game, we’ve actually defended better & become a better possession team. The last 4 games, which we have only taken 4 points, I think we’ve been better than we were when we took 7 off Arsenal, Wolves & Leicester.

I still believe 6 points from the next two gets us top six. Maybe we have to hope for a favour or two as well.
  • Yeah, we knocked the ball around nicely and, on the whole, defended well, but that's not enough if you want to achieve anything. You have to be clinical in the final third and we just haven't been.

Teams seemed to have worked us out now; let us have possession and counter when we lose it. Our centre backs aren't quick and Cresswell always struggles when he plays left back for the same reason.

Can see West Brom and Southampton deploying the same tactic so we'll do well to get six points from them, IMO.

• Anyone noticed how Burnley, Everton and Brighton (may be others too) scored with a pass right down the middle of our defence. May be the opposition coaches have spotted a weakness which they are exploiting, especially as we lack pace in the CB position.
  • I can't remember the Burnley one but against Everton and Brighton they were also bad misjudgements along the defensive line that played the striker onside. Dawson and then Coufal yesterday. Coufal's was slightly more understandable as I think he was a bit disoriented from trying to get back into position but still, it's something we have to make sure doesn't repeat. The one thing Pellegrini did really well was make us very good at playing the offside trap, until defenders lost confidence in Roberto and starting playing deeper.
  • Lukerz said:

We played well enough with the ball, again just struggling to break them down, but we’re not the first to struggle. I’ve watched many sides play Brighton this season away & struggle to get a kick. Everton, Villa, Spurs, Palace, Leeds.

That's the same Brighton you were calling rubbish and overrated a week or two back?
  • edited May 2021
    Always thought Brighton was going to be a problem game for us

Cannot at all fathom the argument that Brighton and ergo Potter are rubbish. Especially when some think that Parker is not. The table will in fact say fulham + Parker are poor. A smartly dressed and well spoken manager does not change this.
  • Baracks,

I think it’s more a reaction against the amount of love they seem to get. At the end of the day, they’re 17th and have been around there the entire season, were probably around there last season and will likely be around there next season.
  • Always thought Brighton was going to be a problem game for us

Cannot at all fathom the argument that Brighton and ergo Potter are rubbish. Especially when some think that Parker is not. The table will in fact say fulham + Parker are poor. A smartly dressed and well spoken manager does not change this.

I don’t think they’re rubbish. I find them annoying and I think people harp on about how good they are at passing even though they don’t do anything with it most of the time. I don’t really think they’re much better than they were under Houghton.
  • edited May 2021
    Cuz1 said:

Sunderland

Preston North End!

Kuchinghammer was correct
  • Our shots on target the last few games has been abysmal. Certainly need to do better the last two games.
  • IronHerb said:

Lukerz said:

We played well enough with the ball, again just struggling to break them down, but we’re not the first to struggle. I’ve watched many sides play Brighton this season away & struggle to get a kick. Everton, Villa, Spurs, Palace, Leeds.

That's the same Brighton you were calling rubbish and overrated a week or two back?
    Again it’s not the same thing.

I don’t rate them, but I have still seen them keep the ball well for entire matches.