Burnley (A) - Monday 3rd May 8.15pm

Comments

• He may or may not be ready but the 3 players who would play behind him arguably would play a lot better with a central striker ahead of them.

I’m not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing, in just saying Moyes won’t play him - let alone start him
  • I am sure you are right, alderz, and it was very poor for his confidence to sub him off vs Man U, but he has been on the bench many times so must be in consideration, or why have him there at all ? And since Man u he has been scoring regularly.
  • I am sure you are right, alderz, and it was very poor for his confidence to sub him off vs Man U, but he has been on the bench many times so must be in consideration, or why have him there at all ? And since Man u he has been scoring regularly.

We’ve regularly had two keepers on the bench, but that doesn’t mean they are both under consideration. Perhaps Moyes is just filling up the bench?
  • I think he'll get ten minutes if we're two up, just to give him experience. Moyes is very cautious about using inexperienced players as starters.
  • Odubeko looked way out of his depth against Man U. I think Moyes will be trying to get the balance between giving him useful experience and destroying his self belief. Starting him against Burnley central defenders would be a massive risk imo.
  • Even at 3-0 up we haven't looked secure enough to give the youngsters a run-out, so I'd be surprised if Odubeko got any minutes this season. I think he's probably Moyes' 5th or 6th choice when Antonio's back (Antonio, Bowen, Lingard, Yarmolenko and maybe even Benrahma).

Possibly, if we have nothing to play for in the last couple of games (which is unlikely), he may get a kick, but I think his next senior action will be on loan in League One next season.
  • It’s time for Lanzini and Benrahmi to start
  • Fab
    Coufal Dawson Ogbonna Cresswell
    Soucek Lanzini Fornals
    Lingard Bowen Benrahma

Could work, but I don't think Moyes will go for it, particularly against a physical side like Burnley.
  • I don’t really expect Odubeko to get a start soon but I do think we shouldn’t read too much into the Man U game. He came on after we’d been defending the entire game, played while a lot of the team was tired. He was ineffective but it was all quite disjointed by then anyway. It wasn’t an easy game to start with.
  • Barnes and Gudmundsson have been spotted back in training with the first team
  • Barnes and Gudmundsson have been spotted back in training with the first team

Barnes always worries me
  • edited April 2021
    alderz said:

Barnes and Gudmundsson have been spotted back in training with the first team

Barnes always worries me
    You know how one thought leads to another =)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2w10ol
  • alderz said:

Barnes and Gudmundsson have been spotted back in training with the first team

Barnes always worries me
    You know how one thought leads to another =)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2w10ol
    This also worries me
  • Fab
    Coufal Dawson Ogbonna Cresswell
    Soucek Lanzini Fornals
    Lingard Bowen Benrahma

Could work, but I don't think Moyes will go for it, particularly against a physical side like Burnley.

Would love that team
  • Lawro goes for 2-0.
  • Lawro goes for 2-0.

Of course he does
  • To put a bit of context on the belief that Lawro doesn't rate us. If his predictions for this season had been correct we would be 13th, it's the highest difference between his selections and the actual position across the whole of the Premier League.
  • To put a bit of context on the belief that Lawro doesn't rate us. If his predictions for this season had been correct we would be 13th, it's the highest difference between his selections and the actual position across the whole of the Premier League.

This isn't the first time this has been the case either, I think. He genuinely has a thing against us.
  • Sky are seeing this as 2-1.

This isn't the first time this has been the case either, I think. He genuinely has a thing against us.
    It’s really easy to think “the wheels will come off eventually” and when they don’t just roll that prediction over to next week. If we had lost more games he’d have predicted us to win more, IMO. Because as soon as he’s said we’ll lose twice and we’ve won, the chances of us getting three on the bounce seem slim to him. I don’t know if that makes sense. It’s been a long week.
  • I know what you're saying (almost akin to Martingale roulette systems that have cost punters their shirts) but it's more than that; he genuinely doesn't like us as a club imo and has consistently under-estimated us.
  • To be fair most seasons predicting us to lose has been a pretty safe bet in most matches. This season we’ve totally confused them and they don’t know what to do. We’ve only lost two on the bounce twice this season and so far not three on the bounce.
  • Yes thorn. I have this vision of a confused Lawro with a tea cozy on his head and steam coming from his ears screaming “What are that West Ham lot playing at?”
  • I think if Chelsea win today, that will be that for our top four push. We’ll basically need to pick up 7 points more than Chelsea in the final few games, albeit with a game in hand. Which is fine. I think it will also be the end of Liverpool’s top four push too, which may see them slip off a bit more over the next few weeks.
  • Leicester aren’t secure yet, especially after they dropped points. They have Chelsea, Man U and Tottenham to there’s still a small chance there for us.
  • I think Leicester are fine. Only need 6 points from their last few games i think to get top 4. I expect them to do that.
  • we need 5 straight wins to get top 4. i think 69 will be the cut off.
  • Yes thorn. I have this vision of a confused Lawro with a tea cozy on his head and steam coming from his ears screaming “What are that West Ham lot playing at?”

Not sure there’s a tea cozy big enough for his head 🤯
  • Chelsea still have City, Leicester (who might also need the points) and Arsenal. And then they also play Villa and Fulham (who really need the points and will probably want to get something from that Derby.

I honestly think that as long as we match Chelsea's result this gameweek we should be in it.
  • Fulham certainly did need really need the points but did practically nothing to try to get them. Easy ride for Chelsea.