Burnley (A) - Monday 3rd May 8.15pm

191011121315»

Comments

• Personally I thought Obiang was a solid, under-rated player that we never really replaced.
  • What a horrendously nerve-wracking experience that was, especially the last quarter.

We played some of our best football for a long time and it was of course down to the players, but also the different formation Moyes used.

It seemed to be a Gaurdiola-type 4 3 3, with Soucek supposedly playing the holding role and Fornals and Lanzini either side, starting off attacks but also pressing and defending when needed, like Gundogan or even De Bruyne do. Then either side of Antionio 2 great passers and dribblers in Lingard and Benrahma, but 2 who are also prepared to help defend a bit. (At one point we lost the ball from a Coufal cross and it was Lingard heading back to cover the RB position).

Soucek did his usual of trying to get forward a bit too often, which was scary as I do not see Lanzini as a DM (Fornals maybe if he had to). But it was great to see so many creative players together, all comfortable on the ball, playing short passes to colleagues who were almost being marked but never panicked, and even at times playing ticky-tacky on the edge of the Burnley penalty area.

In future he could play this as
    Soucek Rice Lanzini/Fornals
    Lingard Antionio Benrahma

So now we can add 4 3 3 to Moyes' other favourites 4 2 3 1 and 3 4 3
  • Personally I thought Obiang was a solid, under-rated player that we never really replaced.

I also agree with this. Don’t think we should’ve sold him anyway but the way Moyes has so many players performing Im regretting it even more
  • I agree regard his ability but he would only have been back up at present as he would not be as good as Rice defensively nor Soucek at getting forward into scoring positions. He would have been perfect for Rice's absence however.
  • I never really understood what Obiang was. He wasn’t really a defensive player, nor a tackler, nor creative, nor box-to-box. He seemed to just sit there playing simple passes.
  • I also though Obiang was underrated but I think it was him that wanted to leave for family reasons. He stayed an extra season to help us as long as he was allowed to leave the following summer
  • He was a good egg and posted a great statement before he left
  • edited May 2021
    yoyo said:

I must admit I do sometimes shudder when Diop gets the ball at his feet at the back.

I always get nervous when he is running back towards our goal and gets the ball. He seems clumsy and unable to sort his feet out. Seems to be more composed when he is facing away from our goal.
  • I agree regard his ability but he would only have been back up at present as he would not be as good as Rice defensively nor Soucek at getting forward into scoring positions. He would have been perfect for Rice's absence however.

Yeah exactly. Instead of being short a player. I’d forgotten about him wanting to leave. I think attributes wise, he’s the build of player I’d want for our backup to those two. Who might even be able to play in a three alongside them if we needed it at some moments.
  • edited May 2021
    Wasn't Obiang another Unsworth/Payet type case, where his wife didn't like London and wanted to go back to Italy?

MIAHammer said:

yoyo said:

I must admit I do sometimes shudder when Diop gets the ball at his feet at the back.

I always get nervous when he is running back towards our goal and gets the ball. He seems clumsy and unable to sort his feet out. Seems to be more composed when he is facing away from our goal.
    I am sometimes reminded of Bambi on ice
  • Odd with Diop, because he can put in a lightning tackle and is dominant in the air, but turns to jelly when the ball is at his feet
  • edited May 2021

Wasn't Obiang another Unsworth/Payet type case, where his wife didn't like London and wanted to go back to Italy?

MIAHammer said:

yoyo said:

I am sometimes reminded of Bambi on ice
    .....does that make Dawson Thumper? Great nickname for a centre back!

• I wondered why Lanzini played for the under 23’s last week but seeing on the OS that he played the same position as he did on Monday with Moyes watching they were obviously trialling it.
  • Late to this particular party but watched the game last night, rarely can I recall watching a West Ham team that looked so comfortable on the ball.

Overall great performance, we should have been out of sight by 60mins but hey, this is West Ham
  • Overall great performance, we should have been out of sight by 60mins but hey, this is West Ham

We've been out of sight a darn sight earlier than 60mins in 3 games recently; they still weren't very good for the heart come the final whistle though.