Couldn't think....part 4

Comments

• Aslef, the answer is in the question ;)
  • edited November 2021
    Juno
    Sorry
    Now I'm wondering where Olympia is the capital of...
    It's Washington, biggest city Seattle
  • The future Mrs shrugged would be rolling her eyes at me

Born in CT and raised in WV
  • Yeah, but d'youknow what the capital of Alaska is?

A
  • Aslef, it's Juneau but you were close enough. ;)
  • edited November 2021
    Just saw this, and had to chuckle

Harry Maguires red card means he misses the Chelsea game, apparently Chelsea are appealing it
  • edited November 2021
    Base on Coufal’s great performance tonight in Vienna, I was thinking that it would be nice for Moyes to play Coufal against the weaker PL teams (as he is our best right back from an attacking perspective) and Ben Johnson against the top PL teams.

I know Touchel did this with Chilwell and Alonso. It could work nicely for us too and would ensure Johnson develops as a player and keeps Coufal happy too. They will also both get enough rest.
  • Not sure Coufal would ever be happy .........But sure love the guy =)
  • edited November 2021
    If anyone saw the interview with Johnson it was remarked how some felt his best position may be as a centre back, I wonder if he may be worth a try at some point now Oggie is out, Coufal is great at right back so maybe we can see if Johnson can play at centre back.

Maybe the Zagreb game an opportunity to see
  • If anyone saw the interview with Johnson it was remarked how some felt his best position may be as a centre back, I wonder if he may be worth a try at some point now Oggie is out, Coufal is great at right back so maybe we can see if Johnson can play at centre back.

Maybe the Zagreb game an opportunity to see

Perhaps he’d suit the right sided centre back in a back 5 that changes to a 3 in possession.
  • It's an interesting idea as he is strong, decent pace and a great ball player, the only issue I could see is height as he is down as being 5 '9 wheres as our others are more typical centre backs with Diop at 6 4' Zouma and Ogbonna both at 6 3' and Dawson at 6 2', in theory however we shouldn't lack for height with Rice at 6 1' and Soucek at 6 4' also.

He looks like he could have more class than Diop or Dawson against some of the better defenders.
  • Being 5’9 is fine in a three with two big guys, same as when Cresswell plays on the left. But you can’t have a CB in a two that is that short. You’d become incredibly vulnerable from crossing
  • I'm not very keen on him moving about anymore, he's played a few positions already and its only at RB that he looks truly comfortable. Not so long ago many people were saying they don't see much in him after his LB performances.
  • MIA, Don't start that discussion off again. =)
  • I hope there were some performance-related clauses in that transfer.
  • and one of Italy or Portugal will boycott the world cup, not by choice, same for Wales and Scotland, maybe all 4
  • Frank Williams has passed away.
  • I don’t think I’ve ever used the Holocaust as a descriptive word, so I really don’t understand why football pundits seem to struggle with it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59448567
  • I love you Carlton, always will. But please choose your analogies more carefully in the future.
  • Football pundits tend to be ex-footballers.

Footballers, generally, tend not to be brightest stars in the sky.

Seeing Cole on BT this season, it's clear that he sometimes muddles his words; I think this is him not engaging his brain before he spoke, rather than anything malicious.

I'm almost certain he meant something other than 'Holocaust', but his thoughts got tangled in his head.
  • Most footballers and ex footballers seem to be as thick as mince but I can’t for the life of me see how the word holocaust can be mixed up with any other word.
  • OCS

I definitely don’t think there’s any malice in it, but there’s no excuse for making that mistake, IMO. If you can’t get your words together to the point where you’re using genocide for a reference point on the radio, you probably shouldn’t be working in broadcasting.
  • I was aware of the Barton hoo ha previously.

And from the few articles I read that reported his comments and the context, I do think the reaction was over the top.

Of course, it's a sensitive issue and it's right everyone should think carefully before they offend. But, in the Barton case ( and I'm no fan at all, believe me,) it did have elements of a media concocted click bait thing.

Holocaust was a word before the second world war.
  • edited November 2021
    Carlton's comment just comes across as s bit clumsy and he absolutely did the best thing - say sorry immediately.
  • Hindsight is everything but there are so many other words that he could have used, expected, unsurprising, par for the course, anticipated, etc etc
  • Storm Arwen: Customers set to spend third night at Britain's highest pub

Published55 minutes ago

One of the guests, Martin Overton, said the atmosphere was "very good" with "plenty of beer available".
    Be fair, that's got to be British quote of the year!
  • edited November 2021
    BBC report focuses, in its explanation of what the Holocaust ( capital H) is, entirely on Jewish deaths.
    On the day of rainbow laces...might one have hoped for a slightly more inclusive and factually accurate account of how many and which categories were murdered?

I hope that doesn't come across as whataboutery?
    Does it? It's not meant to.

Also, it's s bit depressing that they feel the need to explain.
  • edited November 2021
    I just looked at the report again (while I was looking at the day's match reports on he beeb).

So, CC refers to a holocaust. That's in speech.

BBC decides to use a capital letter = Holocaust. So it sounds like CC was making a link to THE Holocaust. But that is entirely editorialising by the reporter/sub editor.

I think it's not good enough. They should report the news, not make the news.

This discussion has been closed.