Here by popular demand: West Ham v Spurs; 21/02/21, high noon

Comments

• Normally, Jose would end up seeing what we do & selecting a side to match us & mitigate our strengths. I have a feeling this will be different. I think he will pick an attacking side as a kind of ‘last resort’ strategy as he comes under increasing pressure.

I have spent a lot of this season laughing at how bad Spurs are, but given Kane & Son can single handedly destroy anybody on their day, it’s a tough one to call.
  • Lukerz said:

Normally, Jose would end up seeing what we do & selecting a side to match us & mitigate our strengths. I have a feeling this will be different. I think he will pick an attacking side as a kind of ‘last resort’ strategy as he comes under increasing pressure.

I have spent a lot of this season laughing at how bad Spurs are, but given Kane & Son can single handedly destroy anybody on their day, it’s a tough one to call.

I believe that Dawson has had an extra pocket inserted into his kit to ensure space for harry can't
  • This match is now their Cup Final more than ours. Lose and their season is over (assuming Citeh win the League Cup) Should be a tasty encounter. Hope Mr Hooper is reffing!
  • edited February 2021

This match is now their Cup Final more than ours. Lose and their season is over (assuming Citeh win the League Cup) Should be a tasty encounter. Hope Mr Hooper is reffing!

Sorry Kuching, ref for this game : Craig Pawson
  • Have to concede we were pretty fortunate to get a draw at their place. Son and Kane tore us apart in the first 20 mins especially Coufal and Balbuena on the right of a back five. I would start a similar team to the second Villa game.

Fabianski
    Coufal, Dawson, Diop, Cresswell
    Fredericks, Soucek, Rice, Benrahma
    Lingard
    Antonio

or if Antonio still 'fatigued' would keep Johnson and move Benrahma up with Lingard

Keep Lanzini on the bench until the last few minutes obviously =)
  • edited February 2021
    I suspect Moyes used Sheff U as a trial run for 3-at-the-back version b (with Diop/without Oggy) ahead of the Spurs game. So...

Fab
    Diop Dawson Cresswell
    Coufal Soucek Rice Johnson

and whatever combination from whoever is available he thinks will work
  • Ex seems to imply, as of yesterday, Antonio is available.
  • I would like Moyes to try and do a Grealish on Kane/Son. I actually think that Son is the more dangerous of the two so take him out of the game.
  • Looking forward to Coufal just following Son around all afternoon.
  • I would like Moyes to try and do a Grealish on Kane/Son. I actually think that Son is the more dangerous of the two so take him out of the game.

I was thinking this. Might be a game for Fredericks. Kane doesn't have too many people to supply if Son is cut out and trying to track Kane himself might cause problems for the midfield because his position is so fluid.

Ndombele's been pretty good when I've seen him play for them recently though - even when the rest of them have been terrible.

Coufal should start sending him scary selfies now.

Coufal should start sending him scary selfies now.
    Perhaps he could team up with Collina, I am not sure there is a scarier duo than them.
  • You just get the feeling that Coufal would just need to glare at him to make him burst into tears
  • Hope Spurs have a Very long journey Back from Budapest ,After a Very tough game .Even a Bad Lasagna on the way home
  • I was hoping they would have a hard game and even pick up a couple of knocks but they seem to have coasted to victory. The three extra days rest can't do us any harm anyhow.
  • just the game and result to get them confident again in time to face us, boo
  • whupathman, they have just played the sixth placed team in the Austrian League consisting of 12 teams. We are 5th in the EPL which should be a far harder game, well I hope it will be.
  • just the game and result to get them confident again in time to face us, boo

That’s exactly when they bottle it 😉
  • Ex has claimed he has heard via a Spurs source that Kane could be injured... 👀
  • Lukerz said:

Ex has claimed he has heard via a Spurs source that Kane could be injured... 👀

I do think it’s funny when the ITKs say that something could happen
  • I could have a drink tonight .Okay of course i`m going to have a drink =)
  • Lukerz said:

Ex has claimed he has heard via a Spurs source that Kane could be injured... 👀

Was this before or after it was public knowledge that he was left out of tonight's squad.

Of course he COULD be injured. Doh.

I'd have more regard for Ex or any ITK if they told us something we couldn't work out ourselves.
  • edited February 2021
    He mentioned it on his podcast yesterday MrsG 👍

He said he had ‘heard’ that Kane had picked up an injury, then his absence tonight has fuelled that

I suppose we won’t know until Sunday. Jose has played it down, as you would expect
  • Maybe Coufal did send him a scary selfie and Kane ran against a door or something. Or he is frightened and just pretending to be injured? 🤷‍♂️
  • According to Sky Kane asked to be left out of the game last night to rest his ankle for Sunday and both he and Bale will play against us.
  • Lawro has it down as 1-2.
  • edited February 2021

According to Sky Kane asked to be left out of the game last night to rest his ankle for Sunday and both he and Bale will play against us.

I would say there is more to that. Kane rarely asks to be left out as a precaution. I reckon he is a doubt for Sunday.
  • edited February 2021
    I think we should go:

Fabianski
    Coufal - Diop - Dawson - Cresswell
    Fredericks - Souček - Rice - Fornals
    Lingard
    Bowen

Randolph, Alves, Balbuena, Johnson, Noble, Lanzini, Benrahma, Antonio, Odubeko

It’s really hard to select a side for this. Part of me thinks the same 11 & formation as Monday, another thinks ‘get Antonio & Benrahma back into the side’. I think if we go with the back 5, Spurs will go with a back 4 & I think that invites pressure from a side who need to be made to feel as uncomfortable as possible given their form. Also, if that back four doesn’t work, Fredericks can go to LWB & we can make it a back five with Fornals moving inside.

But then another part thinks we will need to keep Son quiet & if Kane does play, it would be ideal if we could push up a high line to try & keep him out the box, which leaves Son as a threat in behind with his pace, so we play Fredericks to help combat that threat. We also need enough of a threat going the other way, so a front two that will press their midfield & defenders & keep us up the pitch. Antonio as an option off the bench if he is deemed fit enough, plus Benrahma.

Really not sure though. A draw is not a bad result here, but obviously we need to go for the 3 points.
  • edited February 2021

Just to give you a laugh at this clown...