Transfer Speculation

Comments

• So, according to Ex, we have signed, or are about to sign, Thierry Nevers from Reading on a free. He's 19, a winger/striker and his agent is Will Salthouse.

We are interested in Sam Johnstone, whose agent is Will Salthouse.

We are also interested in Olivier Ntcham, who has been released by Celtic and is available on a free, whose agent is Will Salthouse.

*** New singing klaxon ***

Thierry Nevers has signed and will officially join the club when the transfer window opens on 9th June.
  • Thierry Nevers, 25 apps for Reading U23, 40 apps for Reading U18, unused substitute once in the EFL Cup for Reading first team in 2019

Definitely one for the future
  • I think he's in the highly rated category but we've had a few of those before.
    Still, welcome Thierry. COYI
  • edited May 2021
    What are we going to do with all our extra players when we get knocked out of the Europa League?
  • Good to see we have our future Luton Town player signed nice and early in this transfer window.
  • MrsGrey said:

What are we going to do with all our extra players when we get knocked out of the Europa League?

Retain them so we can clinch top four. 😜
  • From here:
    https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2021/5/25/22452612/thierry-nevers-sold-west-ham-reading-fc-royals-hammers-transfer

"Given that he was out injured for a year until January, bouncing back and making this step up to the top flight is impressive".

And here:
    https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/thierry-nevers-first-words-after-20672089

"Nevers scored 19 goals in 65 appearances for Reading's U18s and U23s and only recently returned from a serious knee injury which ruled him out for the best part of a year."

I hope there's something there that our scouting network (cough) has seen that Reading have missed, otherwise a somewhat underwhelming signing. Maybe West Ham are thinking about keeping the physio bench warm until MA needs it.
  • Our scouting network has in the past seen something in a player that other clubs have missed, occasionally to our detriment. But that is all in the past isn't it?
  • I expect a number of PL2 players will be leaving so I see Nevers, initially, as a replacement for one of those vacancies.
  • Good to see we have our future Luton Town player signed nice and early in this transfer window.

And good to see we are also keeping up with having a few injury risks in the squad too. For one terrible moment I thought we might be taking a different approach having let go of Wilshere
  • Sky reporting that we're one of five clubs that have spoken to Alex Kral's representatives about a summer move. Honestly think he could be a really good addition.

Transfers during a FIFA tournament summer are always tricky. He's supposedly valued at £14m right now, which I think is a good price, but a decent tournament could see that price rise and his suitors grow.
  • Pity Ryan Fredericks seems to get injured

Thierry Nevers, 25 apps for Reading U23, 40 apps for Reading U18, unused substitute once in the EFL Cup for Reading first team in 2019

Definitely one for the future

If he turns out to be half as good as the more well known Thierry....Result.....
  • Wow...that first part was not meant to be....even tho Ryan does get injured I like him, I started a comment and never finished it!.......
  • Czech goalkeeper Thomas Vaclik available on a free from Seville
  • Leicester agree a fee for Soumare (a first reamer at 22) from Lille for £18mil and Antonio Conte has left Inter Milan as they will have to sell a lot of players....these both just won their leagues

Clubs in England have lost a lot of money but the rest of Europe is in a dire situation in comparison

Gonna be some huge bargains available, it's just key to see which ones turn out the best
  • edited May 2021
    WHU, As you say there appear to be even more bargains to be had from around Europe which is always a good market to be explored as transfers in England fees seem to be in the top bracket.
  • Are the rules different now we're out of the EU?
  • yoyo said:

Are the rules different now we're out of the EU?

Yes. Work permit rules apply to all non-UK passport holders
  • edited May 2021
    It's where our Premiership performance really should help, as we look a team on the up so it's easier to sell ourselves to a better grade of player. If we have some money to spend we should be able attract decent players and if there are European clubs that need raise funds to stay afloat we should be able to improve our first team and squad hopefully.
  • According to the gov.uk website a Sportsperson Visa (T2) is only valid for three years so maybe don't sign any foreign players for longer than that...
  • It's where our Premiership performance really should help, as we look a team on the up so it's easier to sell ourselves to a better grade of player. If we have some money to spend we should be able attract decent players and if there are European clubs that need raise funds to stay afloat we should be able to improve our first team and squad hopefully.

Europa League qualification could be huge in this regard. It should give us the edge over our usual transfer rivals Everton, as well as teams like Wolves, Villa, Leeds and maybe even Arsenal.
  • The biggest attraction though surely for any player is the opportunity to be photographed with crossed arms in Sully Towers
  • Manchester Evening News reckon Bolton Wanderers will make Oladapo Afolayan's loan permanent after they won promotion back to the League One. His contract ends this summer so good luck to him

He was doing a degree in Civil Engineering at Loughborough when he signed for Solihull Moors so whatever happens he'll have that to fall back on

• This interaction suggests the Lingard permanent deal may not be as nailed on as some have suggested.
  • Yeh, wouldn’t surprise me if both were “encouraged” to post what they did in the way they did it to nudge Man Utd along in setting a realistic price for us. There don’t appear to be a vast number of options if he wanted to be in London and Man Utd wanted rid of him - I mean would he want to play in a lesser euro tournament with Spurs, or not have European football at all (Arsenal)?
  • Yeah, does kinda suggest he won't be back next season as things stand atm.
  • Not really imo. He's a contracted United player who's finished his loan spell. Nowhere does it say he's not coming back and tbh he can't say anything specific. He certainly would be welcomed back by the fans and Moyes.
  • Not far off being a last chance for Lingard at his age though. He gets out now he can nail down a 4 - 5 year contract on a decent wedge somewhere. Good luck to him, but i do hope we look at Periera from West Brom younger player who i think can equally make just as an impact for probably a similar price.
  • Can't help feeling that the wages may be an issue; will he be prepared to take a drop to come here, as I suspect he'll be on a chunk more at Man Utd than would be appropriate for what the rest of our squad are on?
  • I think Rice makes a good point about his presence in the dressing room. He’s clearly very popular with the players, and he has a real winning mentality too. I don’t know if you get that from Pereira, for example.
This discussion has been closed.