Transfer Speculation

Comments

• edited April 2021

Can't see it baracks. He'd be £30m+ and if we want Lingard and Abraham (Ex has stated he's now our No1 striker target) then they'll cost a combined £50m at least, so I can't see Traore as a goer.

Plus his finishing is worse than Antonio's, so he would be an expensive gamble which I just don't think we can afford.

Is his finishing that bad? I know he had a problem making the right decisions when crossing before but improved on that. He's said how Pulis specifically helped him with his confidence, which led to his massive improvement compared to his early years, so maybe that's something Moyes could work with. His technical skill on the ball is much better than Antonio's imo and I think Moyes has made it so our striker mostly has to just get into the right position for simple one-touch finishes.

Agree it probably won't happen but I wouldn't be upset at it. I could see the logic and might make sense if Chelsea are ridiculous about Abraham's price. To be honest, I can see how Traore would fit into how we play more than Abraham.
  • edited April 2021
    5 goals and 13 assists in 132 PL appearances suggests his final product is lacking for an attacking player. According to the PL website, he has a shooting accuracy of 28%.

By comparison, Antonio is 43/19 in 154 PL appearances, with a shooting accuracy of 39%.

Granted, Antonio has played a lot of those games as a striker, but given how he's considered to not be a great finisher, the fact that he has a considerably better shooting accuracy than Traore makes me think the latter is even worse.

That's not to say that he couldn't be coached to be better, but I think for what he'd cost it just wouldn't be worth the gamble, personally.
  • The idea of a swap involving Lingard and Rice would never work as I feel sure if Lingard saw we were selling Rice he would look elsewhere for himself.
  • On the other hand he would then be free to take all the penalties that we aren’t awarded.
  • Being reported via Sky (Athletic) that Kane will ask to leave Spurs if they don’t make the top four.
  • Lukerz said:

Being reported via Sky (Athletic) that Kane will ask to leave Spurs if they don’t make the top four.

Can ask all he likes but he has a contract till 2024 and Levy wont be selling him for anything less than £100mil, the type of money even the big clubs don't have after COVID

Only team I can see is PSG if they letbappe go Real....but think Kane wants to be the record prem goalscorer before his career finishes, so will maybe wait a year for United or City to pounce
  • The Athletic article says Man City and Man U are both interested in him if they can't get Haaland but the contract is a major problem for anyone. City are also looking at Lukaku because of Inter's financial problems, so he may be a cheaper replacement for Aguero.
  • Can't blame him it's only a matter of time before he goes. He deserves much better
  • Palace should get him to replace the other player that goes down to easily
  • I would love to see Kane at City or United just for the comedy value when they play Spurs
  • edited April 2021
    90 min reports that Chelsea are after both Aguero and Haaland which would leave Abraham well down the pecking order

https://www.90min.com/posts/chelsea-open-to-signing-two-strikers-this-summer-aguero-haaland
  • reports the the gooners are after Lingard, why would he drop a level lol
  • For £100k a week maybe?
  • He'd get that with us. More, probably, given Hernandez was on a reported £140k a week.

I don't think he'd consider them over us, TBH.
  • I was thinking £100k a week more than we would pay him.
  • IronHerb said:

I was thinking £100k a week more than we would pay him.

Well, yes, there is that.
  • I think Lingard only has two choices; to return to United & try and force his way into their first 11, securing a new contract (probably needs a chat with Ole over that to assure him he is in a better position than he was when he left) or to join us permanently.

There will be other interested parties, I can see all the top 8 apart from City being interested in him, given he has a year left on his deal. But I was thinking the other day, sometimes you just go to a club & everything clicks, helping you to elevate yourself to unseen levels. I think if he leaves United, it has to be to us, because he has a better indication that he’ll fit in well and has already shown great form.
  • Did anyone else see the lingard interview on the OS. He was asked, if we made it to the CL, surely he would want to be part of it - he basically evaded the question entirely - hopefully he was just being diplomatic, rather than him not wanting to join.
  • Lukerz, my thoughts exactly, especially the last sentence.
    With us, he'd be sure of playing in exactly the same role that obviously suits him and which has brought on this turnaround. If he goes to any of the big clubs, who knows where or when he'd be playing.
    He's a pivotal figure in the system and style that Alex Scott described on MOTD last night as the "West Ham way".
  • West Ham are interested in signing Senegal goalkeeper Seny Dieng, 26, from Championship club QPR. (Sun)
  • After these performances I desperately want Lingard to stay but I fear his love for Utd might make him feel he can still make it there.
  • yoyo said:

After these performances I desperately want Lingard to stay but I fear his love for Utd might make him feel he can still make it there.

He might but let’s hope Ole still doesn’t 👍🏻
  • I think we just have to wait until summer. I don’t this his evading the question suggests anything. He couldn’t say either of I’d like to go back or I’d like to stay because he’s going to upset or annoy someone.
    He’s guaranteed a place with us but not with Utd but he may feel he has a point to prove to them and he’s certainly doing that.
    If Utd do sell I think he’d only go elsewhere if we won’t or can’t pay the money but the more this goes on the less I’m sure they’ll sell.
  • West Ham are interested in signing Senegal goalkeeper Seny Dieng, 26, from Championship club QPR. (Sun)

Yeah, but he's no Jesse Lingard... (I'm just trying this phase out to see if I like the cut of it and whether I plan to use this as a standard quote or not. Don't mind me)
  • yoyo said:

After these performances I desperately want Lingard to stay but I fear his love for Utd might make him feel he can still make it there.

Pretty sure his young daughter lives there too so that night be a big factor in whether he stays up north.

Thing is, at Man Utd, he won't start ahead of Fernandes or Rashford. I think he'd be competing with Martial and James for that third attacking midfielder spot and, on current form, would probably get in ahead of them.

If he were to stay with us, you'd imagine he'd start every game and our team and would be our top earner.

I guess we'll find out over the next few months.
  • I like Lingard, I want us to sign him but if he doesn't sign for us, I think he loses out the most. We were doing well before he came. The only game we didn't win in January was against Liverpool and Benrahma was creating loads, playing his best football with us. Lingard's given us a massive attacking edge that I think's been emphasised by injuries and other players getting a little tired. It's allowed us to rest Bowen a little more - he now looks rejuvenated. But Lingard's also benefited from a system that's been set up to basically give him a free role.

It's a massive loss if we don't sign him but not a disaster for us. He needs to be aware when he makes the decision that he hasn't saved us and that he might not get what he has with us elsewhere.
  • edited April 2021
    IMO, I think it will be a massive loss if we don’t sign him. Because in order to evolve under Moyes’ way of playing we will have to firstly find someone else of that ilk, and secondly hope that sully opens his wallet to bring them on board. And there are significant challenges on achieving both of these things.

We were well placed at the end of 2020, however some of our performances were still somewhat scratchy. Lingard has taken us to another level and taken those around him with him (eg Fornals, Bowen)
  • Something really special is happening at the club and it stems from a strong team spirit. Both our record signings are out of the picture (does anyone know what is happening with Anderson btw?) and we have a squad that seem to really like and fight for each other. It takes me back to a job I had where I really liked going into work. It was about being a part of a new venture and something bigger.

This is the biggest thing that we can offer our players to convince them to stay (Rice Lingard etc.) as well as playing time and the opportunity to shine. I can be naive but I think that these things can mount up to be more important than £, guaranteed European football and trophies in the shorter term.

Here's hoping anyway
  • edited April 2021

IMO, I think it will be a massive loss if we don’t sign him. Because in order to evolve under Moyes’ way of playing we will have to firstly find someone else of that ilk, and secondly hope that sully opens his wallet to bring them on board. And there are significant challenges on achieving both of these things.

We were well placed at the end of 2020, however some of our performances were still somewhat scratchy. Lingard has taken us to another level and taken those around him with him (eg Fornals, Bowen)

Yeah it will be a massive loss. I think he would risk more for himself if he doesn't sign with us though. He's been given the perfect platform to relaunch his career and get into the England squad. There's a World Cup next year as well so he shouldn't risk messing up a good thing and fading into mediocrity again. Hopefully he can see that perspective as well, not just the idea that he's saved us, because it makes it obvious who he should be signing for.
  • Lingard has been spectacular but let's be honest, he's never showed this kind of form in his entire career before. He's now 28, so not exactly young.

So for me, some of the numbers being quoted based on his current form are getting a bit silly. I don't think we should buy Lingard at any price because the evidence of his career so far is that he will slow down.

He's come here with a point to prove, with the Euros in mind, stepping into a team already doing really well and playing in exactly the right way for him to shine.

But I don't think we should buy him at any cost.
This discussion has been closed.