Mike Dean - Petition to have him removed from refereeing EPL games

Comments

• Wasn't calling you a muppet, unless you work for the FA or PGMOL, but find it hard to believe you think he's a top ref. Mind you, the standard in the last few seasons has been so poor, but, even so, he's way too much about himself rather than the match imo.
  • edited February 2021
    But Buffy he is the most experienced ref in the PL , he has officiated more top matches than any other current ref, yep, he’s been around longer than most, but IMO he is simply a top premier league ref whether people like it or not 👍🏻Perhaps he should have been called Marmite Dean....
  • edited February 2021
    If he's so good, how could he have made such dreadful decisions, with the benefit of the pitchside monitor, as he made in the matches where he sent off Soucek and Bednarek? That's just in the last few weeks mind, he's got a long history of wanting to be the centre of attention, imo.

Just because he's experienced doesn't mean he's any good; my mum's a very experienced driver but, thank goodness, she's given up driving as she was never good and had got worse as she got older.
  • Can she ref? 😂
  • Buffy , we all entitled to our opions... and I respect you and IH.
    Don’t have to agree!
    Sadly for you two ,I’m sure you will be seeing Mr Dean , aka top ref ... reffing again in the PL....😎
  • IronHerb said:

Can she ref? 😂

At least as well as Dean 😅😅😅
  • So honestly Jay, how do you explain the recent red cards that no-one other than he and Lee Mason thought were red?
  • edited February 2021
    Flipping hek!!! Human error... IMO Mason was probably more at fault...
    Just accept that I like Mike Dean and you don’t!!!
    All refs make mistakes, that’s stating the obvious, some just like to query some officials more than others IMO..
    Mike Dean- Top ref😘
    Anyhow just enjoy Liverpool losing again!
  • Sorry if it feels like I'm digging you out, we'll agree to disagree 👍

Although you can't really put the blame on Lee Mason (as bad as he was in both incidents); Dean re-watched the incidents on the pitchside monitors and still was ultimately responsible for the dreadful decision both times.
  • It’s fine Buffy 👍🏻I’ll defend Dean any day! Especially that Mason should never had put him in that situation.... but agree Dean surely looking back would have changed his decision, people think he loves the attention, but really, I do believe all refs want to make the correct decision 👍🏻
  • From the report on todays game on the BBC -

"Under the circumstances though, it was a surprise Dean was not ushered back to the screen at the start of the second half when Albion skipper Kyle Bartley controlled a header by Conor Townsend with an outstretched arm inside his own box."
  • edited February 2021

From the report on todays game on the BBC -

"Under the circumstances though, it was a surprise Dean was not ushered back to the screen at the start of the second half when Albion skipper Kyle Bartley controlled a header by Conor Townsend with an outstretched arm inside his own box."

Exactly ..:IMO the VAR officials are perhaps more inconsistent than the on field ref’s
  • The VAR officials are the same as the onfield refs because the VAR officials are refs without games that day
  • edited February 2021
    alderz said:

The VAR officials are the same as the onfield refs because the VAR officials are refs without games that day

That’s very obvious Alderz, think we all know that 👍🏻... but they seem as inconsistent when on the pitch or in the VAR studio at Stockley Park
  • alderz said:

The VAR officials are the same as the onfield refs because the VAR officials are refs without games that day

That’s very obvious Alderz, think we all know that 👍🏻... but they seem as inconsistent when on the pitch or in the VAR studio at Stockley Park
    Sorry, I must have misunderstood your post. I read it that you were saying that VAR officials were more inconsistent than on field officials.
  • IronHerb said:

Can she ref? 😂

At least as well as Dean 😅😅😅
    Obviously.
  • From the report on todays game on the BBC -

Exactly ..:IMO the VAR officials are perhaps more inconsistent than the on field ref’s
    I actually think the actual concept behind VAR and the way we use it - that time and camera angles will lead to more accuracy - might be flawed.

In reality, it leads to a lot of second guessing. And it’s not enough time to really get it right because they’re still feeling the pressure to get on with the game.
  • Didn't really know where to post this and didn't think it deserved a new thread.
    We're always talking about the difference between players' reactions and behaviour to referees in different sports and usually quote rugby as how it ought to be.

Having watched Wales v England 6 Nations yesterday, it seems that Mike Dean/Lee Mason might have some competition from the French rugby ref Pascal Gauzere with regards to incompetence and arrogance, two traits that go perfectly hand-in-hand.
    If you haven't seen it, it's on iPlayer. When a former Welsh captain says that if the situation was reversed he would be livid with the ref, it says it all.

Owen Farrell's and Eddie Jones's lips must be in shreds. =)
  • It was an appalling piece of refereeing, telling Farrell to speak to his team, then, when he's doing precisely that (with them all out of position), he starts the clock and let's Wales restart the game; it would be comparable to Lee Mason telling the keeper he had to stand on the post behind the wall and then allowing Brighton to shoot into the other corner unopposed.
  • Bubbles, more interesting to me was hearing Nigel Owen's, recently retired Welsh Referee widely regarded as the best in the World also confirmed he would not have allowed either of the first two tries.

I love my rugby and am more than happy to concede to a better team, but some of Gauzere's decisions were just unbelievable. As with Lee Mason, the (also French) TMO also confirmed his decisions, further compounding the errors.

The other interesting fact here, is that whilst Sam Warburton, the ex-Welsh captain, said he would be seething if he were in Farrell's shows, many in the rugby community (including England fans) have condemned Farrell's actions on the pitch although praised his responses to the after match interview.
  • edited March 2021
    Interesting statement from England Rugby ...

• edited March 2021
    Dodger, I think that statement is also indirectly aimed at the social meedja abuse of Sonja McLaughlan for her interviews with Farrell and Eddie Jones after the match. However, and in no way justifying said abuse, it did seem that she was trying to goad OF and EJ into criticising the refereeing, but thankfully unsuccessful.
  • Yes it was and also death threats to Ellis Genge
  • Death threats to Ellis Genge??? Wow, I wasn't aware of that. Crazy.
  • Interesting, to us eggchasers anyway ... the French ref admits he got the two first half ‘try’ decisions wrong. The scary bit is so did the TMOs
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/
  • The TMO was appalling. He got the game stopped because he thought there was a dangerous tackle by an England player and after a couple of minutes watching it from all angles on the big screen decided it wasn't a foul. This should have been done in the background. At least VAR looks at incidents in the background first before bringing the game to a halt.
  • Had to post this from the DT comments section =)

Poster:
    "Eddie Jones feeds his dog before his wife.....?"

@Poster
    "More English than we thought then!"
  • Mike Dean will be officiating West Ham vs Leeds next Monday night. Nooooooooo!!
  • I hope that whatever happens it doesn’t end in West Ham fans embarrassing themselves (or yknow threatening acts of violence) online
  • alderz said:

I hope that whatever happens it doesn’t end in West Ham fans embarrassing themselves (or yknow threatening acts of violence) online

What, like booing or something?