Mike Dean - Petition to have him removed from refereeing EPL games

Comments

• https://www.claretandhugh.info/deans-dire-irons-decisions-were-happening-18-years-ago/

Just the confirm he has been making errors for longer than was first thought!

I was at that game , it happened right in front of us. The whole ground saw it and Bergkamp knew exactly what he was doing.
    I’d forgotten it was Dean though, just shows how long he’s been so bad at his job and he’s STILL there.

• edited February 2021

Anyone remover Uriah Rennie who used to prance around in skimpy shorts. He certainly was one who used to say “look at me I’m the ref”.

I see your Uriah Rennie and I raise you Clive Thomas.
    The ultimate prima donna ref. It really was “ The Thomas Show” when he was in his pomp.
    Ruined many a decent game did our Clive.
    He once blew the final whistle in a Brazil World Cup game when the ball was in the air from a corner.
    Absolutely loved himself.

• Doesn't matter who starts it. To win a marathon you have to take the first step.
  • yoyo, I would have considered signing it even it had been started after a Liverpool v Manchester United game!
  • I first saw it on Facebook, posted by a Villa supporting friend - so definitely not just us after yesterday’s aberration.
  • I don’t think it helps keep his ego in check when Sky Sports run videos called ‘the best of Mike Dean’ or when he’s being interviewed on podcasts. Wait till he retires to do all that.
  • Must have been a very short video
  • It's been rescinded yippee
  • edited February 2021
    TalkSPORT report it's been rescinded (Jim White)
  • Dean and Mason shouldn't be allowed to work together again. It's one thing to be overruled in the pre-VAR days, but to have two decisions overruled having watched the incidents numerous times really does bring their competency and integrity into question.
  • We should get the three points too because Soucek probably would have scored from that freekick
  • The BBC are reporting that Mike Dean has reported death threats to him and his family to the police, in the wake of the Soucek decision. I get that people are cross (because I am also cross!) but people seriously need to get a grip. You'd have thought that a global pandemic where hundreds of thousands of people have died might have helped people gain some perspective, but apparently not.
  • I have to say that following on from that comment, alderz, I didn't sign this petition because it feels to me too much like a witch hunt, bullying kind of thing. I realise I am so far in a minority of 1, but I just hate the 'pile on' culture that seems so prevalent at the moment.
  • Totally agree alderz. Unfortunately that's the Twitter generation for you.
  • edited February 2021
    alderz said:

We should get the three points too because Soucek probably would have scored from that freekick

I should get 3 points because he was in my FF team.

• Dean has requested a rest from officiating which sees him not selected for any matches this week. (Talksport).
  • MrsGrey said:

I have to say that following on from that comment, alderz, I didn't sign this petition because it feels to me too much like a witch hunt, bullying kind of thing. I realise I am so far in a minority of 1, but I just hate the 'pile on' culture that seems so prevalent at the moment.

In my head there is a fairly distinct difference between petitioning for good quality referees and sending death threats, but I do see what you mean and I think if I had been thinking more objectively at the time I probably wouldn't have engaged with it either.
  • I absolutely agree there's a difference .. and an even bigger difference between that and making threats against his family. :-(
  • I signed the petition because without it I don't see any discipline or questions thrown at the Refs when they have made questionable calls, and even more so because Dean has a history of controversial and daft decisions

But sending him death threats is disgraceful and those who sent them should be punished accordingly

Also, given the recent racist comments to footballers in recent weeks, it's shocking that social media platforms have no control over what is allowed
  • There will always be a type of idiot who can differentiate between the professional and the personal. It's perfectly ok in my view to bring his professional ability into question without attacking him as a person but some can't seem to differentiate.
  • Can I just add (perhaps going slightly off topic) but this (imo) is a good example to use when people raise the matter of 'free speech' and you want to point out that free speech is legitimately curtailed in certain circumstances.

Hate speech, racist abuse, death threats etc
  • edited February 2021
    IMO the petition is just not worth it, I would never sign such a thing , I have no issues with people who did, we all entitled to our own thoughts.
    But to be even associated with these mindless idiots ( if the culprits were West Ham fans) then I actually feel sick 😷
    They are mindless, no brain, good for nothing type of person that IMO belong in the gutters.
  • It’s his employers that need to take a good hard look at themselves. For many years the exact problems with him have been referenced. Either they have tried corrective measures and they haven’t worked or they haven’t bothered addressing it at all. Either way he continued to be allowed to do the same in very high profile games.
  • The death threats are obviously not on, and sadly deflect from the original issue, which is the competency of Mike Dean and Lee Mason.

I still don't understand what those two saw that 99% of all other viewers didn't. The clenched fist thing was nonsense because at no point did Soucek close his fist completely, and no way could Soucek's actions be deemed as violent conduct according to the FAs own definition. So how, after numerous viewings, did Dean still manage to conclude that it was a sending off offence?

This is where I think there needs to be a change; referees need to be made to explain why they make these kinds of decisions. Twice now in five days these two have seen offences where the vast majority of people have not. If they faced up and explained why, it would go some way to getting the fans more on side I think. OK, maybe people wouldn't agree, but at least they'd know why the decision was made.
  • Even if Dean said ‘in our view, Souček was reckless in raising his elbow that close to an opposition player’.

Just say anything to give us some idea as to why that decision was made.
  • Dean has taken referring and the defence of them into a whole new place this week.

We all accepted that referees made mistakes and probably many less than we ourselves would in real time. So that was the defence. This last week however he has had time to view two clear incidents that 99% of non refs can clearly make the right call on and has failed to get it right as a premiership referee. He is hard to defend at present and so that's the call for him to step down.
  • Lukerz said:

Even if Dean said ‘in our view, Souček was reckless in raising his elbow that close to an opposition player’.

Not really. I think we know why they thought he should be sent him off but it was just a really poor decision.
  • edited February 2021
    IronHerb said:

Lukerz said:

Even if Dean said ‘in our view, Souček was reckless in raising his elbow that close to an opposition player’.

Not really. I think we know why they thought he should be sent him off but it was just a really poor decision.
    I genuinely don't know why they thought it?

You can't possibly interpret that as an intentional elbow, so it can't be that reason.
  • I agree. So coming out afterwards and saying it was considered violent conduct would make no real difference and open him/them up to further ridicule.